My Jewel no 21

Discussion in 'Juwel No:21' started by Northman, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Northman

Northman Norway Subscriber

I have had this Jewel stove for some years now. It is really a nice little stove. I got it cheap even if it is in excellent condition, because the original box is missing. I have tried to see if it can fit inside an old Høvik or Radius box , since I have a few of them , but the tank of this Jewel stove is slightly higher, and it don't fit in.

jewel 1.JPG

I suspect that the windshield is not original either since it seems somewhat short. But I am not sure.
    It would not burn when I bought it ,and I found out that the nozzle was completely clogged and could not be prickled open. Luckily a shop here in town had lots of nozzle points in store ,and the tool needed to change it. So with a new nozzle point and pump leather it burned like a dream.

jewel 2.JPG

I am not sure when this stove was made , but I should think it maybe was in the nineteen thirties. But I am not sure of this either.

jewel 3.JPG

Mabye this stamp is an indicator ?

jewel 4.JPG

This stove don't get to be used much unfortunately due to the lack of some sort of container for it.

2. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi @Northman the windshield looks the right length to me. Can't say if it's right for the stove though.
    What's missing is the flame spreader.
    Best regards
    John

3. janders

janders Subscriber

The windshield is not the right type. See here for the Chimney type issued with these.
    The GXB stamp is the sign of the maker (Gustav Barthel), the other small one to the right I have not seen before.

Beautiful stove, feel the need for one increasing ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. Northman

Northman Norway Subscriber

@Jeopardy , the flamespeader is of course is missing. Why didnt I see that? But a spreader from a Høvik 41 stove fits just fine. And looks OK on it too. I have serveral of them , and tried one right away. If I could find myselfe a suitable box for this, I will bring it along on trips. I am not a purist in this, as long as it function ...

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Northman, You have a very fine Juwel stove.
    I believe that you are correct with a date of the 1930s for your stove, as I have seen no evidence of production of the Juwel 21 post WW2.

In the Reference Gallery there are examples of Juwel 21 stoves with bun-feet, fixed tubular feet and folding feet, such as your stove has. I think it likely that Juwel followed the same order of development of feet as other Manufacturers, namely bun feet, fixed tubular feet, and finally folding feet. Your stove is therefore probably one of the last in the line of this Juwel stove model

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.