My Little Stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by JTWY, Mar 28, 2011.

1. JTWY

Hi Guys,
    I've been wanting a Well Built, light weight, High Efficiency , Multi Fuel stove that I can take with me just about anywhere I go. After doing a little research and checking out other designs and stoves on the internet and magazines , I came up with this little stove.
    I went to the Auto Parts Store ( O'Reilly Auto Parts ) and purchased a 3 in. Exhaust Pipe Coupler for $2.85 . I then took some measurements and drilled some 1/8 holes and some 3/8 in holes. Then I added crowns to the top. ( this is very very important to do or your stove will not work right. After I cleaned up all the burs and sanded and filed everything down good I gave my little stove 2 coats of High Heat Stove Paint ( which I had left over from another project ) . Then I just let it dry and it's ready for use .
    You can burn many different types of fuel in this little stove , some examples are pine cones, wood chips, little pieces of tree limbs, charcoal, horse or cow dung etc. Basically it will burn most anything organic. All the heat and flames are focused straight upward to the bottom of your pan or coffee pot , so this little stove will heat your food or drinks fast.
    It measures about 3 1/4 in. wide by 4 in. tall and has nice thick walls to it. You can put a carabineer on it and you can hook it to your backpack , clip it to your belt , or hang it from a D-Ring on your vest or carry it just about anywhere. It will fit nicely inside a saddle bag or motorcycle trunk to.
    For the money this is about the cheapest ( but best built ) little stove you can get your hands on, plus it was a lot of fun to make and when I use it I will have the satisfaction knowing that I am cooking on a stove I made.
    Hope you enjoy my little stove project. :lol:

1301437218-Stove003-1.jpg
    Stove made from a 3 in. exhaust pipe coupler , drilled out and painted with High Heat Stove Paint.

1301437231-Stove004-1.jpg
    Stove made from a 3 in. exhaust pipe coupler.

1301437246-Stove005.jpg
    Use a pan, coffee pot, frying pan, Tin or stainless Steal coffee mug etc. to heat your foods and drinks with.

1301437262-Stove006.jpg
    Another view of the pan on the stove.

1301437276-Stove007.jpg
    You can also just open up a can of beans, soup or chili etc and cook straight from the can on your little home made stove.

JT

So Long and May the good Lord take a likin' to ya!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

Well, I'm sure it serves things "piping" hot. :lol:

HJ

3. teletim

Brilliant!

4. dikman

Well done........but how do you fit a silent cap to it? :whistle: .

5. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Yeah, I just saw this exact design in Backwoodsman magazine in the March/April 2011 edition. Seems to be catching on like wildfire. Looks like a true multi-solid-fuel stove.

The design looks quite efficient to burn just about anything and cook a little something while you are out and about and have run out of liquid fuel. On the other hand, with something that small and cylindrical shaped, you could pack it away as a secondary to your liquid stove.

sam

6. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Nicely done. My only concern would be how to feed it above tree line. Like I'm going to get above tree line in Texas! [-X

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

There are plenty of skyscrapers in Texas to get above treeline. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. nzmike

Small wood stoves like that have a great deal to recommend about them, I like the idea of a few pine cones equaling a hot meal. Possibly the only change I'd make would be a grate an inch or so above the ground to keep the embers off the ground. I read someplace fire spots take a year or more to fade out. That said, I could easily see me building one very similar to the above one. Nice work! I have a feeling fire pots are going to continue to gain ground. Just noticed the contents of the can, shouldn't it be called 'Tent Clearer'? :oops:

9. RonPH

Dont need to, the only sound you would probably hear is the cracklin of the wood, otherwise its quieter than the silent burner :lol:

Ron

10. usdan50

usdan50 R.I.P.

11. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Uh Huh...the Order of the Blue Flame. One of those college things you had to experience to believe......think burnt cherio....

12. Knight84

Very nice work!!!

Can you fit a Trangia burner down there? Maybe us some tent nail pegs to raise it up.

Jeff

13. JTWY

I have 5 Swedish Trangia Military kits, so I looked into it for you. The answer to your question is no. Sorry. ( But the Swedish Trangia Military Stove / Mess its are awesome.

1301438066-SwedishTrangiaStoveKit003.jpg

1301438077-SwedishTrangiaStoveKit002.jpg

1301438097-SwedishTrangiaStoveKit001-1.jpg

14. Knight84

What the new Trangia burner?

Jeff

15. JTWY

I don't know if a new trangia will fit in my stove, but my ole swedish trangia burners won't fit as shown i the pics i posted.

JT

16. Knight84

The new one is around 3 inches wide. So I think it would fit but the simmering ring would not. Just a thought. Great work again!

17. dikman

Re-the comment about burn spots. A couple of years ago the church youth group wanted to have an evening around a campfire, cooking marshallows etc, and as you can't really do that in the city my wife invited them up to our place. I set up a small fire for them on our block and that patch of ground still hasn't got any growth back - just a brown patch of dirt! Last time I did that it took about five years to recover, if left alone!!

18. taku

For those of you worried about the burn spot when the stove is used, try this trick I learned from "leave no trace" backpacking. Get yourself a 14-16" square of sturdy fabric - just about any kind will do. When you want to build a fire, look for a stream bank or turn over a medium sized rock, and use your trowel to dig up enough soil/sand to cover the center of the cloth with about 2" of insulating soil. Take this to your chosen picnic site, spread it out, pack down the soil, set your handy dandy exhaust coupler stove on it and make your lunch. When done, wait until things have cooled down and remove the stove. Make sure the coals are dead out. Then dump the sand/ashes in an place where they will not be noticed (or under the rock again), shake out the cloth (I would put it in a small baggie), tuck it in your stove and be on your way.

Hope this helps.

19. JTWY

Hi Guys,
    Well, I ran some test on my homemade stove today and they weren't good. The fist test I couldn't get water to boil at all. So I re-drilled all the holes to 3/8 in and made the crown a bit bigger. That helped, and I did manage to boil water, but the stove was still starving for air. So I re-drilled all the holes to 1/2 in and made the crown just a tad bigger. This again helped, and I did boil water, but the stove still starved for air. So I believe I can fix this problem by welding in a rack inside the stove to keep the fire up off the ground so the air can get under it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do that today because my torches ran out of gas, so I need to get my Oxy-Acetylene tanks filled before doing more test.

JT

20. nzmike

On-going development saga! Excellent! :thumbup: Work the kinks out of the 'fire spot' thing and you're on your way to the better mouse trap. 8)