My new 111T - Norwegian army?

Discussion in 'Optimus No:111 (all variants) + later Hiker & Hike' started by Tron, May 31, 2020.

1. Tron

Tron Subscriber

I live in the Optimus 111 "epicenter" - Norway. The Norwegian army used these for decades, and as a result there are a lot of them available here, at decent prices. I also think Optimus sold lots of these in the Norwegian sporting goods market. I have a few roarer 111s that I hardly use, but decided to get a 111T whenever a nice and inexpensive one turned up, and here it is:

It looks almost like new on the outside, just a few very small spots of worn paint.

20200528_174908.jpg

The case and sticker is plain, civilian 111T

20200528_174918.jpg

Inside is also very nice, little wear and no sign of anyone ever closing the lid on a hot or burning stove

20200528_174927.jpg

The seller was not a stove guy, he had several for sale and I suspect they are from the Norwegian army. To signs of this is that it has securing screws for the outer cap, I think only the Norwegian army ordered burners with screws for the cap, and it has had a "army fettle"; a full maintenance kit + a new tank lid. The o-ring for the plunger was new with fresh grease, the jet, NRV, spindle and packing box was also new.

20200528_175025.jpg

It came with the tank half full of kerosene, so I just fired it.

20200528_211555.jpg

Nice blue flame, not much smell of kerosene

20200528_175654.jpg

Yellow, smelly flames when simmering. Perhaps I had too little pressure in the tank. However, I really do not like burning kerosene, it is always smelly and also produce some sot no matter how efficient the burner is. So, I went against my own advice and emptied the tank and filled it with white gas, Aspen, closely monitoring the pump plunger for any sign of leakage past the NRV.

20200528_211607.jpg

Burning well, blue flame and no smell whatsoever.

20200528_211636.jpg

Perfect simmer

20200528_213750.jpg

With Aspen it would boil 1 litre of cold water in 5 minutes 30 seconds, outside. Not too impressive, but good enough. Tank pressure probably was conservative.

I love this stove as it is, the little patina its got I will keep, and it does not need any fettling. But I wanted to give it a good cleaning before further use.

20200528_225903.jpg

The tank and burner cleaned up easily.

20200529_001527.jpg

The case got a quick clean with dishwashing liquid, a smear of carnauba wax and a beer can liner

20200529_001537.jpg

Even the front lid was free of rust and wear

20200529_001855.jpg

Ready for some more decades of use.

I can not tell wether this stove was made for the Norwegian army, or if the Army got civilian boxes as spares, or if it is indeed a stove sold to the civilian market that has ended up with an army burner. It does not really matter to me, its a good stove anyway. The only thing I would like to change is the o-ring pump plunger. It works ok, creates enough pressure in the tank, but it has got a sticky, jerky action to it that the stove and everything on the table shake as I pump pressure in the tank. I have tried silicon grease and I have tried oil, it still has this uncomfortable action when used that I don't like. I will substitue a leather cup plunger.

Tron

2. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Very nice, and I enjoyed the bit history.

One of the few stoves actually left on my “wish/want”,,,

3. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Nice score man. I wish they were so cheap here. I have a 111B, but have yet to get a kero model.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    One of my favourite stoves! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

5. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

I think it's one of everyone's favorite stoves!

....Arch