My "new" Annby 747!

Discussion in 'Dae Lim Gas Co' started by Doc Mark, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Evening, All,

Well, my Korean Annby 747 stove finally arrived, safe and sound, after a week in US Customs. When I picked up the box, I was shocked to see a huge hole in the side of it, through which I could reach in a grab the stove container!!! :shock: :shock: :doh: :-k Here's what I received:

1422327629-DSCN5138.JPG

By the Grace of God, and a good bit of luck, nothing was missing!! So, here's the rest of it.

1422327672-DSCN5139.JPG

1422327689-DSCN5140.JPG

1422327702-DSCN5142.JPG

1422327723-DSCN5143.JPG

Check out the interesting cleaning needle for the jet: One from Edelweiss!!

1422327744-DSCN5144.JPG

Don't know if this wrench is original to the stove, or if it even fits anything. I'll soon see...

1422327814-DSCN5145.JPG

1422327875-DSCN5146.JPG

The case, as you can see, is in need of a new paint job, which I'll undertake later.

1422327894-DSCN5147.JPG

1422327935-DSCN5148.JPG

1422327954-DSCN5150.JPG

1422328057-DSCN5152.JPG

So far, I think this is a very well designed stove, with lots of bells and whistles! It holds pressure, the pump works nicely, already, and the jet is clear. I have not tried the quick start priming device, but from the seller's photos, it appears to work nicely. However, after a post from one of our CCS members, I may not use that feature often, as he stated that doing so, led to cracked burner tubes! :shock: [-X =; Still and all, I'm really tickled to add this neat Korean stove to my collection!! As my Optometrist, and Ophthalmologist are both Korean, I'm going to take these stoves in for them both to see, when I next have an appointment with them!! Fun!! Thanks for giving this neat stove a squint, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. The Bird

The Bird Subscriber

Hello Doc,

Those Korean stoves are really something, extremely innovative!!!

I am fortunate to have a Halla Sport Stove from Korea (HERE) which shows all of the lovely bells and whistles that yours has.

The pre-heater is wonderful, but as you say, over-use can be costly.

The interchangeable burner heads are another neat feature, and quite exciting to use.

Lastly, the very eye-catching cases are a real blast, and very practical.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine!!!

Best regards,

Mike.
    PS: Think I'll go and get mine out for a cuppa on the terrace now!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

Glad it was worth the wait Doc! That's one tough stove to survive that rough journey.... ;)

4. Chef BC

Hello Doc and congratulations on finally receiving your ANNBY Korean stove. The one I had purchased was sent in the exact same type of box. It is amazing these can travel by yak mail and still survive. Your Annby looks quite "experienced" and well taken care of though. The whole kit; if I can compare to the one I owned, has all of the necessary bits except for a small length of cord that would serve as a wick.
    Your burner is slightly different than others I have seen. This is a small photo of my former stove.

1422335371-PC130048_opt__1_.jpg

Your stove appears to have a pressure gauge on the fount, not all of these Korean stoves have this nice feature. :cry:
    Please enjoy 8)
    P.S. The wrench you have been given is authentic. O:)

5. dogface

dogface United States Subscriber

I have been following the saga of the Doc and the elusive stove. I am glad you have been fulfilled, that it finally arrived in good shape.

I purchased one of the same stoves from that same merchant in Korea. It sailed right on through customs with no delay, and the package was intact. Undoubtedly you Doc, have inadvertently been placed on somebody's watch list, probably as some sort of subversive type. Oh what we don't know about those who seem so nice and helpful.

I also received a cherry lolipop, free, in my package.

That merchant seems to search out Annby stoves to sell, as several have been placed for sale by him since I purchased mine.

I was not aware of the possible damage that could be incurred by employing the miniature blowtorch/pre-heater. I wonder if it heats the burner too fast, resulting in uneven expansion.

6. gunsoo

Hi Doc.

Congratulation !! :clap: :clap:

if you have some trouble with this annby stove,

i will good help to you (spare part or original nipple )!!
    ;)

Gunsoo

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all the kind words, and enthusiasm for this stove finally getting here!! I look forward to checking it out soon, and to using it in the future, along with the Korean 340R that I scored recently, too!!

The Bird, your post about the ancestor to the Annby 747 is most excellent, and I'll posted a comment there. Well done!!

ChefBC, thanks, very much, for the comparative photos of the 747 stove that you received. I can't recall what was amiss with your stove, so please refresh my aging memory as to why you passed it on to another Stovie? Internal problems? Burner problems?

Gunsoo, your kind offer of help with parts and such is most appreciated, my friend!! I hope that my stove will work with minimal fettling on my part, as it already pumps up nicely, and holds pressure, and the valve and jet seem to be working well, too. I don't know much about the fuel gauge, and will have to do some reading here, probably from some of Kerophile's outstanding posts in the Stove Gallery, to learn about that feature on the 747.

Thanks, again, to one and all, and I'll post more photos when I've checked this stove to see if it is in need of anything, and give it the "Kerophile Tea Test"!! ;) 8) :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. The Bird

The Bird Subscriber

Hello Doc,

Thank you for your kind words.

As an advisory, might I say that you will find that whilst the Roarer Burner is the more effective, the Silent Burner is the less troublesome.

I have found that I get more hassle with the flame turning yellow where the Roarer Burner is concerned. I was trying to figure out why, and can only think that it has mostly to do with the "thermal feed-back" to the Burner Head. Looking at the way the transferable Roarer Burner attachment sits in the Burner Skirt, I was thinking a couple of things:

1: The Burner is not an integral part, therefore the "thermal feed-back" contributes less to keeping the Burner Head hot enough to vaporise the kerosene.

2: The construction of the transferable Roarer Burner means that where the flame would transfer heat to the Burner skirt, and feed the vaporisation, there is now a barrier to direct heat transfer. This seems to lead to the Burner Head cooling to the point where vaporisation is less efficient. I found that if I ran the Pre-heater for a few seconds, the flame turned blue again.

I'm no scientist, but it seemed a practical assumption. I would be interested in your opinion, once you've had time to play with your stove a bit of course.

Best regards,

Mike.

9. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

looks like that hole was punched in the box to inspect it :shock:
    i have this stove and it's one of my favorites.
    i use both the silent and roaring burner caps.
    if you are lucky you might find the heater that attaches to the stove.
    my preheater worked for awhile but clogged up somehow and i can't find a needle small enough to clear it out so make sure your fuel and the tank are super clean.
    i just checked out my wrench and the name stamp is not the same,ANNBY,but the rest is the same.

10. dsk

Those burners are extremely interesting, combined silent and roarer. I'm curious why they did give people a choice, and not just had one of them. If this one are just as reliable as e.g. the old Optimus burners, the Koreans should have dominated the market. - - maybe together with Coleman, the only maker of non preheat white-gas-burners.

dsk

11. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Doc that is a fine acquisition.

That model, just like some other South Korean stoves, is very innovative.
    Regulated, silent, roarer and quick light all in one.
    It will be interesting to see how it performs.

12. Chef BC

Sorry Doc, I may not have been specific enough, my Annby would have pressure escape in a really bad way from the preheater spindle packing nut whether the thumb wheel was open or closed. Time is the biggest enemy for me right now and there are so many other commitments I have to kick the can down the road for. :doh:

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, All,

Thanks, again, for the further comments, Guys! The Bird, your thoughts may well be on the money, and I'll see, once I get a chance to actually play with this stove. I love the "idea" behind having both types of burner caps, but only testing will show if one way is better than the other, as you found.

Dave, hey, you may be right about that hole, especially as nothing was missing. But, in truth, I think it was just poor Postal/Customs handling that led to the box breech. My heart skipped a beat when first viewing that huge hole, I must admit!! But, after getting back home, and taking inventory, all was well. I sent the seller a photo of the box damage, and hopefully, he will pack things a bit more carefully, or in a better box, in the future,

Dag Ståle, after seeing several wonderful Korean stoves, I, too, wonder why they were not more popular when first offered. Maybe it had something to do with market exposure. Coleman and Optimus/Primus already had a strong market in the US, even though the Optimus/Primus portion was already shrinking. When MSR came on the scene, they dominated the market in a fairly short few years. But, like some of the early Optimus offerings, which had both silent caps, and roarer plates, I think that the Korean makers were just trying to offer a lot of "bang for the buck". I think, if Korean makers were really making and marketing such stoves today, they would be VERY successful, most especially amongst CCS members!!

Trevor, I agree, totally, with everything you wrote, and as always, thank you for your kind comments! I'm really excited about getting this stove, and also the 340R that came a bit earlier. They are both very well made, well designed, and nicely packaged!! I can hardly wait to use them both, most especially in a camping situation!!

Harold, ahhhh, now I remember what you originally wrote about that. Thanks for reminding me. I know, very well, indeed, how time can become an enemy, or at least cause plans to fall through, as Sweet Bride and I are in the same boat!! We are, however, trying to plan a few days camping in the next few weeks, as long as our business doesn't derail our plans!! At first, we thought about another CASG. But, in truth, right now, we just need some down time, together, for some peaceful camping, cooking, fettling, and just being alone together!! :thumbup: 8) :D :D

Thanks, again, to one and all, and hopefully, if our camping plans come to fruition, I'll be checking, testing, and fettling both Korean stoves, as well as quite a few others that have been "waiting in line" for the last several months! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, All,

Well, I finally got a chance to give my Annby 747 the once-over, and even though I will replace some seals fairly soon, they were good enough that I could do some quick tests today.

I have to say, first and foremost, that the only fuel you will see in the photographs, is what tiny bit of residue was still in the font when this stove arrived from South Korea!! So, here's how it went:

1423273475-DSCN5198.JPG

1423273491-DSCN5199.JPG

1423273511-DSCN5200.JPG

And now, a quick test with the roarer cap assembly!

1423273532-DSCN5201.JPG

1423273571-DSCN5202.JPG

As you can see, the stove ran out of fuel whilst I was testing the roarer cap, however, I'm mightily impressed with the quality of this Annby stove, and though I worried about the flame patterns, I should not have done so. Both the silent cap, and the roarer cap, provided a nice blue flame, I primed both tests with Meths, as I knew there was only a tiny bit of fuel in the font.

Now, I'll change all the seals, and am also giving thought to replacing the O-ring setup on this stoves pump, with one of Kerry's excellent retro pump buckets!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. 1966dave

Sweet Doc! I really like the preheater, wish I had one of those.

Dave

16. Big BTU

Big BTU Subscriber

Mark,

I am happy to see it arrived in good shape despite the shipping. I have received many a box like that where the items weren't as lucky [-(

Down the road you may want to replace the plastic fuel gage viewing window with glass. I have found that the cheap microscope drop in lens tops for children's microscopes fit perfectly. They sell separately on EBay for about 6 dollars. put a gasket or Oring around the edges and you are in business with a magnifying viewer made of dense glass.

Let us know how you like it after your first camping trip!

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Gents,

I had forgotten to thank The Bird for his original posting of his Halla Sport Korean stove, which is a predecessor of the Annby 747, or at least a distant relative. Mike, I loved that stove when you first posted it, and think you have a real winner there!! Thanks for the link, as I enjoyed seeing your stove just as much, the second time I saw it, as I did the first time!! Well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, John,

Thanks, very much, for your always kind comments, my friend! Changing the plastic lens in the fuel gauge may well be a fine idea. I'll check out the glass microscope lenses which you suggested. Thanks! I very much look forward to taking the Annby 747 camping, but not before I change out the gaskets and seals. They were good enough for testing, but I think not good enough to actually use the stove much more than I did when testing it. Also, not being a fan of O-rings on pump rods, I'm considering trying to change out the O-ring setup on this 747, for one with a leather pump bucket. One of Kerry's retro-fit pump buckets may well get the nod on that one, if it fits.

Thanks, again, John, and best to you and yours! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Friends,

Well, I decided to give one of Kerry's retro pump buckets and try on the Annby, and guess what? It appears to work very well, indeed! Of course, I've still not added fuel, beyond the sips that were still in the tank when this stove was sent to me. But, nice slow pumping yields a very nice pressure inside the font, and I think it far surpasses the O-ring setup that came with the stove originally. I'll test both systems further in the future, and see if there is, indeed, a huge improvement with the leather pump bucket. But, first impressions are that this is a great retrofit!

Here are the original Annby parts, as I removed them from the pump rod.

1423444826-DSCN5207.JPG

And, here is one of Kerry's excellent pump bucket retrofits.

1423444895-DSCN5208.JPG

I wondered if, once the snap ring of Kerry's set was seated, it would be good to replace the original small circlip, and decided to do that, just to see.

1423444963-DSCN5211.JPG

Seemed to work quite nicely, though I'm not certain that the extra circlip is necessary. Still, it does seem to keep things from flopping around on the rod, which seems a bit smaller than a regular Optimus/Primus rod. Here it is ready to insert into the pump tube and test.

1423445053-DSCN5209.JPG

As already written, it worked a treat!! When time permits, I'll fuel this stove, and compare the two systems, O-ring vs leather pump bucket, to see if such a test confirms what I already suspect, which is the the leather pump bucket in Kerry's retrofit set is better in all respects. Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc