My "new" Coleman 413G.

Discussion in 'Coleman No:413' started by Doc Mark, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

As mentioned in another thread, yesterday, I bought a fairly nice Coleman 413G. I was actually seeking a nice 413E, but this one came to hand, and well, for only $10, I could not resist it!!

There "may" be a problem with this stove, but I'll get to that in a bit. Here's my 413G:

1422326480-DSCN5119.JPG

1422326501-DSCN5120.JPG

1422326517-DSCN5121.JPG

1422326534-DSCN5122.JPG

1422326551-DSCN5123.JPG

1422326571-DSCN5124.JPG

1422326591-DSCN5125.JPG

1422326609-DSCN5126.JPG

1422326635-DSCN5129.JPG

1422326661-DSCN5132.JPG

1422326682-DSCN5133.JPG

And now, for the possible problem. I could hear something sliding around inside the fuel tank, and when I dumped it out, here is what I saw.

1422326735-DSCN5134.JPG

This caused me to look a bit closer to the fuel tank, itself, and this is what I found.

1422326789-DSCN5131.JPG

I'm guessing that this fuel tank may well be rusted through, and that someone tried to repair it with some sort of sealant, which broke off inside the tank, showing some rust embedded in the edges of the detritus. I am going to give the bubbled up stuff under the red paint a good scraping, as it now looks like the fuel tank red paint was touched-up a bit, over the bubbled up rust!

OK, so if my suspicions are correct, I may need a new fuel tank for this stove. But, in truth, since I only paid $10 for it, I don't mind putting in a bit more for a good fuel tank. I'll also check some of my other Coleman stoves, and see if any of their fuel tanks might fit this 413G. I'll let you all know how it turns out, but even with a knackered fuel tank, if that turns out to be the case, I'm still glad I got this stove. Updates as I learn more..... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Note that the fuel tank date is a bit different than the stove manufacturing date. Someone may have swapped the fuel tank at some time in the past.......

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. linux_author

overall a nice stove, especially the grate! i see Coleman suitcases every weekend at the local flea market (saw a military Coleman for $10 two weeks ago - the one with the aluminum generator and 4-piece plate-glass globe, which also fits 222s IIRC) - shouldn't be too hard to find a matching tank for your 413? you could always swap out the fuel tube, knob, and generator?

willie
    on the 51F Gulf of Mexico

3. anlrolfe

Nice find for $10. I'm sure you can get a donor tank easy enough. Good reason to do a thorough exam and never fire up inside the house. It would have been a shame if this had been an older 413 w/ round tank. These stamped tanks are common enough.

AR

4. Jim Henderson

Congratulations on the new find. I was going to ask how old the fuel was and whether it "would fire right up" just like at the last CASG, but with a leaky tank there is too much opportunity to use the old fire extinguisher, so I'll wait for the repairs to commence.

Worst case you could always use one of those propane conversions. Blasphemy.

Jim Henderson

5. Doc Mark

Morning, All,

Thanks for the kind words, and suggestions! I've already been looking for another tank, just in case replacing the one I have is necessary. Looks like I can get one for between $10-$20, or so, and that still makes the total paid for this stove, a good deal, IMHO.

Big Jim, you made my laugh out loud with your comment, my friend!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Excellent context, and well said!! I'll not fire this stove up, until I have thoroughly checked out the fuel tank, and if need be, I'll use the tank from my 413E to test the burners on this G model, until I can source a proper replacement for the tank. Better safe, than sorry!! I'll post updates as things progress. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. dsk

Doc, I believe (from pictures) its mainly 2 types of tanks in hence of fitting the stove. This one and one with less distance between the right ear and the valve. The distance between the ears should be approx 8 inch?

Best regards from Norway.
    dsk
    Proud owner of a 413E

7. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. Doc Mark

Hi, DSK and Norman!

Thanks, Guys! There are a ton of fuel tanks out there, and I'm sure to find a nice one, if that ends up being needed. Thanks, again, for the suggestions, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Dag Ståle, it's outstanding that you own a 413E!!!

9. Russ in California

Doc, I also noticed on a 413 I have that the stove and tank date are different... a month or so.
    It may be normal as the stove I have was opened but NIB (read: unfired).
    JMTC
    8)

10. newlondon695

Tank from 426 D will fit 413 G

11. Big BTU

Mark that is downright Abbey Normal for these tanks :lol: I have seen the cases rusted to junk here in Hawaii & the tank still solid enough to use. Those rusted hunks of junk regularly being sold on Craigslist here for $30-75.00 if & when they come up. Be thankful for your swap meets & such there! :)

12. Doc Mark

Hey, newlondon695, and John,

Thanks for the comments, Guys. NL695, I just tried my fuel tank from our 426D, and you are absolutely right! Now, I can at least fire up that 413G, and see how it works.

John, yes, this is the very first Coleman fuel tank I've seen rusted completely through. Here's what I just found, after scraping the red paint off in the bubbled up areas:

1423434234-DSCN5206.JPG

I am SO glad that I did not test fire this stove in the house, or even at all, truthfully!!! It appears that someone, either the Gent from whom I bought the stove, or whomever had it before him, had tried to repair the rusted out places with some sort of sealing agent, like Bondo. Didn't work, as you can see from the photos I posted of the junk that came out of the tank.

I may well have found a replacement tank that appears to be in much better condition, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed about that.

As side note, I measured every single Coleman fuel tank in the Hobbit Hole, from 425's, to 426A,B,C, and none of them worked on the 413G, until I came to the 426D, as NL695 suggested. Fits like a glove! Thanks for that suggestion, Sir!

I'll keep you apprised of how all this turns out, and know that, one way, or another, I'll eventually find a proper tank and get this 413G up and running, so we can use it!! Thanks, again, Guys, for your comments, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  13. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I read a while ago in Coleman's own documentation that the red tanks were copper plated on the inside so could never rust but although this is the first rusty tank I've seen it's not the first I've heard of. A lot of people recommend that the old round copper coloured tank is far better.

14. newlondon695

Just revisited this post glad I could help also found the 413 E and C are interchangeable