My "New" Optimus 100

Discussion in 'Optimus No:100' started by Hazet, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Hazet

I recently acquired an older Optimus 100. I looked in the SRG and found a few models similar, and they dated from the 20's or 30's? The only possible date reference I can see is the letter "K" stamped on the bottom. The burner has the letter "U" stamped on it, and under the burner cap the words " UP DESSUS OBEN" are stamped.
    It looks like it has not been used for a long time. I really like the vent screw location.
    I do not know if the silent burner assembly is the correct one for this stove.
    Does anyone have any more information about this stove? What kind of pot support plate would it have?
    Here are some "as found" pics, enjoy.

1266966641-1266676599-DSC00656_opt.jpg 1266676602-DSC00657_opt.jpg 1266676611-DSC00658_opt.jpg 1266676615-DSC00659_opt.jpg 1266676620-DSC00660_opt.jpg 1266676626-DSC00662_opt.jpg 1266676719-DSC00663_opt.jpg 1266676726-DSC00664_opt.jpg 1266676731-DSC00665_opt.jpg 1266676738-DSC00666_opt.jpg 1266676742-DSC00667_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. itchy

Nice stove, very uniform rich color. Intersting burner. Did these also come with a lipstick burner set up.

3. BernieDawg Banned

Nice score! 8)

I'd guess the silent burner dates from 1910-192(0-5). It's my favorite silent burner. They burn absolutely perfectly.

As to the tank and whether the burner came with it originally, I'd be wise to leave that speculation to others. It's certainly an early tank with the vent screw location.

Envious I am. ;)

Best,
    Gary

4. Dutchmike

Hello Jon,
    You are not only lucky (why is it all the nice brassies turn up in the n.america's? ;) ), you also illustrate the 'Doc'-trine that if you keep looking, you wil find!
    Wonderful these '100's always are, but considering the age and very early silent burner a rare find indeed: congratulations!
    That little wire on top did the obvious job of keeping those extremely rare burner parts together: if these burners do turn up, it practicly always is without the inner and outer cap, the latter not replaceable by a modern one.

By the way, the burner could be a Primus product, as these caps are illustrated in some Primus partslists. The letter on the bottom is likely to indicate a production batch, and no referal to the year of manufacture.
    Interestingly, the I think rather obvious orientation of the inner cap is stated in (only) 3 languages: English, French and German.
    That is another pointer to the early beginnings, as soon more languages were to comminicate with a rapidly expanding market.

The stove seems to be complete, original and in good shape. Again, nice indeed, and thank you for sharing this with such good pictures!

Regards,
    Mike

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Dutchmike,

Hey, I "resemble" that remark, Mate!! ;) 8) :lol: :lol: Like you, I'm very happy for Hazet to have scored this very nice old Optimus #100, and for him to have shared it with us, too! Outstanding stove, Jon, and well done on having found it!! Stick to the Stovie's Code: "If you look, you WILL find"!! ;) 8) :D :clap: :D/ :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. Lance

Tears, whinney voice, sniffles, clearing throat, spitting, wiping nose with hanki, "I never find any of the good stuffffffff."

Temper tantrum, loud noises from throat, pounding on desk, "I want it." :rage:

That mate is one great find. Where and how did you come by it?

Laughing, :lol: :lol: :lol:

lance

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, CWO!

Ahem!! Brother Lance, it's not polite to fib on the Sabbath Day, Bub!!! [-X [-X :^o :^o [-( [-( :-({|= :-({|=

I seem to remember a "certain Optimus 45" stove, that was found down in the Mojave Desert, at a "certain antique store", by a "certain CCS Member" who shall remain unnamed, and not to protect the innocent, either!!!!! ;) ;) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here you come, all the way from the Midwest, "just passin' through", so to speak, and find that nice #45, including the tin, too, if I recall correctly, and then go on your merry way! I LIVE here, and had been to that same place many times, and never found that one, Mate!! So, NO snivelling will be allowed here, Mr. CWO!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just sayin'......... ;) ;) :D :D Take care, keep the faith, keep looking (and you will keep findin'), and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    LT. Doc

8. Hazet

thanks for all the nice comments and info.
    i have to admit that i did not stumble across this stove myself. often times on the weekends, i will get a text/picture message from my friend Roger who lives in California, and will be scrounging his local swap meets/yard sales at the time. there will be a pic of a stove (or stoves) and a "is this worth -x- amount of $$" message, to which i usually frantically reply "yes, buy it!". this was one of those stoves. Roger has found me many stoves, often at rock bottom prices. since he has minimal interest in stoves, i usually end up with his swap meet finds. :D

9. Lance

Aaaaahummm Lt. Doc, might "I" remind you, you need only look. :roll: Yeah keep look'n like you did when you passed up that campingo :doh: or a Hipilito in a certain store in Nebraska. :p :p Love the way you watch for these items Sir. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sir lance looksalot

10. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Everyone should have a "Roger" in their world!