My old Optimus 8 variants

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by hikerduane, Feb 2, 2017.

1. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hello again Duane,
    Enjoy your camping we'll catchup later.
    Again your input is key here, having the many examples in-hand.

Sorry I've missed some. "I think" we can get list 1.1 updated to accommodate different versions you're mentioning, if you're up for it. I hope so. In OP you said 8 variants but included an 8R and an aluminum 8. If so my 6 was getting close I thought (there I go thinking again! :oops:).

It's a discussion and a tentative list
    I welcome input and am open
    to see where it goes.

The next list I can add to each:
    fuel enters brnr at bottom
    vs
    fuel enters brnr at side.

Ideally each different "version" represents a specific combination of parts that is repeated on many examples.

I did not factor the aluminum or plated examples.
    That said I too am aware of at least 4 that do not fit into the list (not all examples will fit into such list).
    The 4 I'm aware of are different but may not represent a different version (i didn't think so but it's a work in progress).

Re maybe the earliest version did not have burner brkt?
    Here is a zoom-in of whitegas's no.8 case:

oldest.JPG

Are you thinking we should add that? Are there others w/o that brkt I wonder.
    all for now
    thx omc
    tag @hikerduane

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@hikerduane. You wouldn't happen to have a list.of those versions that actually work would you? :(

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

ALL my stoves work.
    Just realized over the winter that my early 8's have minor differences, either no clip, w/clip or different fuel cap, one seems to ha e a much later cap. The one doesnt have a clip to hold the burner in place when stored like @OMC, pointed out from the Gallery. Even my aluminum-cased 8 has the pedestal burner and one type of the early fuel cap.
    Duane

IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4600.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

4. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thanks Duane,
    I'm a patient man, picking this up later is fine.
    I'm jealous and wish I were packing up for camping. Big family, never a dull moment here it seems. Aside from one on one time, I think I'd prefer more dull moments! I'm booked tomorrow night and Easter so my cousin & crew invited themselves to visit me and stay over Sat. night (eat, drink and sing so not half bad).

Ok, w/o brkt... that is at least 2 so far (we're saying it is not that the bracket is knocked off), and we will add that the earliest is w/o burner bracket.
    Got it, good.

In meanwhile, a couple tidbits:
    > Iani (Jan.2012 or earlier) shared this type pot support brackets on a No.8, he posted here
    potsupportmount.jpg
    I wish he included a view from the outside of that case as well.
    That example is convincing as done during early No.8 production. For now (if it is one) will be noted as addendum to the list.
    Duane (or anyone) aware of another No.8 w/those brackets?
    -----

> The stove below does not exist, to-date. The image was used and re-used for decade(s) by Optimus ](*,).
    early8ghost.JPG
    From what I've seen, this No.8 (w/ a tank & a key we've never seen)
    never made it into production, imo.
    If one ever does emerge it's the holy grail of No.8s!! (until then this ghost image is just here to haunt us! :lol:. I am aware of at least 1 other Optimus catalog ghost stove btw so they were content w/inaccuracies just to mess with us :content: the basteges).
    thx omc
    tag @hikerduane

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I think/thought Ross posted one too a few years ago, never seen one anywhere.
    Duane

6. whitegas

Wow! I am just checking in after a long hiatus and found this monster I created. The model I first posted did not have the burner bracket and no indication/ marks of it ever existing. The other difference I see would be the nickel tank. Looks like you have since also found a no bracket version. As is the case with the 111, the brackets evolved over time, so none would point to the earliest version
    Jim