My Primus 535 purchase.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Rif, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Rif

I've searched and read a few threads in here with pics of Primus and Optimus 535 stoves.

I hoped someone might enjoy seeing a few pics of my acquisition.

I picked up this "unused" 535 recently advertised locally.

I didn't believe it could be as described in the advert, but upon delivery found it to be true.

The description certainly didn't do the stove justice and indeed depicted it without stove rings and failed to mention the original, thought somewhat grubby, polystyrene box with spanner, instructions and a blue funnel.
    It was missing the original priming bottle though.

DSC_1116.JPG DSC_1118.JPG DSC_1119.JPG DSC_1123.JPG DSC_1120.JPG DSC_1127.JPG DSC_1124.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
  2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Very nice find. I keep my fingers crossed sometimes when I buy a stove off of the bay. Surprised sometimes.
    Duane

3. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Yes, it's a great model - should last for 100 years! I have a few of them too, one from the Primus days under AB BAHCO. This model was taken over by Optimus in 1963.

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Thanks for posting Rif.

I had the same experience of getting hold of an 'unused' WWII twin-burner Coleman from an auction site recently and thinking before delivery "probably it won't be unfired" but it turned out to be the case.

I was half hoping it would have been used so I wouldn't have the dilemma of keeping it unfired for the benefit of another collector some day ... divided views here on CCS about that dilemma when it crops up.

John

5. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Great find. Too bad it's in unused condition. I've got an Optimus 535 I bought new 45 years ago. I planned to install it in a VW Van but never got around to it. Fortunately, I did take it out and fire it up so it is usable. Back then VW's were cheap and new stoves expensive.

Ben

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

WELCOME Rif,
    FANTASTIC !!! in a word.

I'll double-down in-support of what John has already said elsewhere: "An unused stove often starts a discussion..." and Re your I'm thinking I'm going to start a thread
    John "Please do, it's certainly worth a closer look for the rest of us." [and here we are my thx to you both for that]

Rif, Off top of my head I think yours is THE best 535 example on CCS. I will join many that hope to see it remain unfired. When I find myself in your situation I seek to trade-off an unfired stove to one of the fellow-stovies that choose to preserve these examples of NOS.

I'm always curious as to an approx. age of a stove and, I think, our fellow stovie already know a year range of production for yours. "Primus" on the knob, to me, say 1962 or earlier and if the name BAHCO can be found with it is another factor.

I have cut way back on acquiring stoves but a 535 is one I continue to seek out. Seemed odd to me, Primus (and later Optimus) hide the 535's big brass tank. My thinking on that is, "If you got it flaunt it!!". IIRC 535 has the largest tank capacity of similar 2 burner models.

Your example shows something that I have been long been curious about, WHAT TYPE of wire did Primus use to secure their silent caps from the factory?
    GREAT STOVE thank you omc

PS
    Rif, FYI Trevor is one of the Moderators, along the lines of stovie "discussion",
    Trevor, Do you think we might add "Discussion" to title of this stove forum thread? (eventually post OP above in reference section?). tag @shagratork

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

8. Rif

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.
    It just after midnight here in Western Australia.
    I'm going to come back tomorrow and offer up some personalised responses when I'm a little less half asleep.

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent find, @Rif. :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

10. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

A fine looking, un-used stove. I am insanely jealous!

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

11. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

bloody good find mate .
    well done
    kerry

12. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi @Rif welcome to CCS. You've certainly started off with a corker. I suggest you keep it locked away in a safety deposit box. There are too many jealous stovies for it to remain secure! IIRC most of the Ozzie contingent are out east or even down in Tassie but air fares from around the world are not excessive these days. @Doc Mark says he's too busy with work at the moment to visit CCS so that gives me a head start.
    Hope you continue to enjoy it and can find a couple of good users so that this one can remain untarnished.
    Regards
    John

Ps damn..... My passport has expired.

13. kerophile

Hi, please will you take a higher magnification shot of the plastic pump plate with PRIMUS marked on it. I think that your 535 was one of the later Primus models, before the 535 stoves were re-branded as Optimus. If so there will not be any date code on the cross bar underneath.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

14. Funfundfunfzig

Great stove - they work superbly! Well done!

15. Rif

Thank you Hiker Duane.

G'day Abbahco1, thanks for the post and info.

Cheers John, yes it adds a bit of a conundrum to the exercise.

G'day Ben, yes I can remember when VW vans were more abundant and as well my struggles to get the funds accumulated for my first "new" stove which was a 111 Hiker triple fuel. I think it may have been a C from memory, although I did once own a T.

G'day Kerophile, I shall peruse your link with interest - thank you.

Thank you Tony

Well Simon Foxxx, being insanely jealous is usually my domain having lurked in the site for a while.
    I'd given up on stoves some years ago having had my Optimus 111 confiscated on an internal Qantas flight here in Australia. It had been my treasure that I'd hung on to for many years and had travelled to the UK, Ireland and Europe with me, as well as between Australia and NZ.

Thank you Kerry.

I'm hoping to make a trip to Tassie in the medium term future so will keep my eyes peeled.
    Thanks for the tip John.

Will do Kerophile.
    Any particular angle that would be more helpful? Should any date code be easily visible upon turning the stove upside down or is there dismantling involved to see inside the join of said crossbar/stove-body interior?

Now theres a name to tire out the typing fingers Funfundfunfzig.
    I'm exercising my cut n paste skills rather than my clumsy touch type.
    Cheers!

16. Rif

G'day OMC,
    don't think my attempt to quote is working for some reason.
    Excuse me whilst I learn the properly navigate the forum as I've also had "fun" getting pics sorted being unused to posting in this sites format.

I utilise some other forums for some other interests and their mythology is a little different.

Thank you on the tips on Trevor, Bahco etc.

When I take the requested above pic of the pump panel, I shall attempt a squiz at the wire to see if I can spot any obvious qualities worth a mention.

Cheers

Rif.

17. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

G,,day Rif
    if you come to . under down under
    make sure you let me know so we can catch up

cheers
    kerry

18. kerophile

19. kerophile

Hi, If there is a date on a Primus No.535 cooker, it is on the back of the spacer bar for the regulating shafts of the burners.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-no-535-1955.9455/

Have a look at the photos in this thread and you will see an example.
    It is possible that your stove is un-dated. It all depends on when it was made.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  20. Rif

Thank you for the link and yes I now understand where the lettering is to look for.

ASAP I shall unpack the box and get a photo of what ever is present.

I need a moment where my landlady is out so as to live without deafness and avoid long and lengthy lectures about mess in her kitchen which is really the only place in my abode where a pic can be taken in half decent light and room for my tripod.
    In fairness to her, the grubby polystyrene box is not the sort of thing to go on her best Irish linen tablecloth unnoticed.