My Saturday flea-market haul

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by It'l Dodat, Apr 2, 2019.

1. It'l Dodat

Got one of these, For me it has huge sentimental valuu as this is what I started out with back in the 1970's when I geared up to go hiking, in opposition to the Trangia and the optimus.

Interestingly (and of geat value, but to me only) there is also a knife fork & spoon set still in it's plastic bag and the sticker on the back reveals that it was sold at Camp & Climb which was one of only 2 specilist camping climbing and hihing supply stores in Johannesburg at the time, the other was ME Stores.

Camp & climb was in Braamfontein, and was the shop I chose to outfit me back in 1970.. They closed in the 80's.

The cookware set, is not Gaz to my knowledge, but came with the Globtrotter as a parcel

Now I know you can't get the canisters anymore, and I know you can make a gas transfer device that can be made, But I'm rather keen to try and extend the canister clips to suit the bigger prick cannister that's still commomly available.

To take care of packing in the billies, I aim to make an aluminium cylinder / tube to fit inside the billy....

Any thought's ?

gaz globetrotter cooker in its billy.jpg

gaz globetrotter cooker pot stands.jpg gaz globetrotter cooker.jpg gaz globetrotter cooker and billy handle.jpg gaz globetrotter cooker and billyies.jpg gaz globetrotter cookset packed.jpg gaz globetrotter cookset.jpg

2. Lennart F Sweden

That stove was made with longer clips as an alternative for the larger canister in the 1980's - remember both versions were sold in swedish gas stations back then.
    I only find those for 100g canisters today:-k](*,)

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Hello again It'l DoDat,
    You may be inquiring "thoughts" > how to bundle your set.. or > in-general.

I find your cook set noteworthy myself.
    Can you look it over closely for any markings at all, including pot gripper.

I'm sorry but I do suggest you consider subscribing. In this case, you're at a disadvantage for further on-topic discussion / research (not yet able to view catalogs).

Re your: "Camp & climb … closed in the 80's." and
    "The cookware set, is not Gaz to my knowledge, but came with the Globtrotter as a parcel". Interesting, thank you.

We see the cook set strap is indicative of SIGG. The bowls could be SIGG and pot & pan have similarities w/SIGG "scout" pots. I welcome anyone to chime in if they recognize your set? (I do not).

You see, your comment is supported in catalogs, Optimus did sell SIGG sets with the GAZ globtrotter as parcel. One place we see this is in the 1989-90 catalog.
    However your cook set is not shown there and I hope to learn more re your set. looks like an excellent set to own.
    Congrats on getting it. thx omc

4. It'l Dodat

Morning OMC
    Let's begin by seperating the 2 groups that I got as a parcel, one being the Gaz globetrotter cooker, 2 enclosing billies and a wire handle, and the other being the pan set and the pot clamp.

The Globetrotter: - An exact duplicate of the one I bought into back in the mid 1970's. I actually have 2 of these, so let's further break them up as set 1 and <this one> as set 2

SET 1: - The stove is in fair condition, but the billies are well used and somewhat dented, there is no wire handle for the billies. As the canisters are no longer available, and, in my opinion the Globetrotter's burner is a superior design because it has the windshield, I've swopped out the burner head with a Gaz model that does fit the bigger canisters, it has a steel housing that has a pressed metal fitting that clips in at the bottom and holds the canister in the housing, much like the Gaz blowtorch mechanism. However the burner does not have the windshield, it just has 4 U bent wire pot-stand-off's... (I'll take a picture in a day or two).

Stove optimus model 8R b.jpg

trangia b all the bits.jpg

gaz globetrotter cooker and billy handle.jpg

So, I now have a hybrid unit, that does have a windshield and is correct for the bigger cannister.

But here is the interesting thing about my hybrid: - It is eminently suitable to be deployed as a gas alternative for my Trangia

While fiddling around on Sunday, I discovered that: - with the Globetrotter pot-stands swivelled up, they fit exacly into the third outer ring of holes in the Trangia base, this then holds the Trangia base central and unable to move ontop of the burner.

The burner is just below the base of the Trangia, where the spirit burner goes.

The housing is an effective heat shield between the gas cannister and any heat from inside the base of the Tragia. After more that 1/2H of use, the shield was only "hot to touch" but not unduly so. I'll look more into this as a viable and easy way to convert a Trangia to gas and come back to the forum

The downside is that the base of the trangia is no longer on the ground, and I've sacrificed the inherent stability of the Trangia with the base of the Trangia directly on the ground. (Again I'll do pictures)

Wat's left: - I'm eyeing out the remaining bits and pieces, IE the small canister housing, the burner with the U shaped pot-stands with a view to extending the housing clamps to cater for the bigger canister, and make an aliminium tube, long enough for the bigger cannister and so that it just fits inside the original billy of the Globetrotter, so that I can get back to having a burner with all nicely parcelled in it's own container, but fits the bigger gas cannister.

SET 2: - Has huge sentimental value to me, and not long after buying into the Gaz instead of the Trangia or the Optimus back in the 70's proved to be invaluable when I was confined to my tent (A backpacker Kestrel II) for 4 days by serious bad weather when hiking in the Drakensberg mountains back in the 1970's That my friend, was an adventure of note....

As the canister still has gas in and the set is complete, and it is destined to become "a shelf queen"

PAN SET THAT I GOT WITH THE GLOBETROTTER
    many thanks for the info, I'll definately scrutinise it for any further markings. As for the pot clamp, I do believe it's not original as it is the same as a pot clamp I bought about 5 years ago.

From the strap, I deduced that it is "1970's period" so may well have been something that Optimus? sold. If that's the case, then It's a score beyond a score, as I've just reciently also been gifted a Optimus 8 (which I have not been able to get working properly............. yet), and that would be simply amazing.. a tale worth the telling..... Now in 2019, and I've got all three of the options of cookers that where proffered to me back in 1970...

A trangia
    An Optimus (with pan set)
    and a Gaz Globetrotter

5. Barrett

Barrett New Zealand Subscriber

Hi @It'l Dodat
    Interested in this as well as I had picked up a globetrotter canister (no stove) and a cook set that looks very similar last year, both out of thrift shops in different cities.
    Cook set looks the same even down to the clear plastic belt, which I had thought was a replacement from someone's daughters wardrobe, but then I saw some images on line suggesting not, some were clear, some blue.
    Anyway mine is stamped "Taiwan" on each pot belt hoop, that's the only markings I can see.
    I'll watch with interest to see if their a copy of another cook set.
    Need to get a burner for the gaz canister, at the moment a reel lives in it in the drawer lol

@OMC
    20190403_211242.jpg
    20190403_211331.jpg
    20190403_211444.jpg
    Cheers
    Barrett

6. It'l Dodat

Hi Barret
    Ta,
    I'll take a gander tonight, thanks for the heads up where to look.

7. Lennart F Sweden

@Barrett - my "Sigg Tourist" is marked with the famous brand "Taiwan" too, I think the later unbranded ones are made in China.

8. It'l Dodat

Morning guys, OK so mine does not have any markings at all, could be the brand Infamous China?... The strap is a clear very soft plastic, and is prone to tearing where the buckle pin goes through the perforation in the belt.... Comming back to the possibility that it may be an OPTIMUS product, I somhow doubt that the Swiss would have used a belt / strap with that problem, so for now...... It's brand Infamous China.

back then, that's in the 70's I seem to think the cookware was more the billy-can type sets. I never looked into that part because I opted for my army issue mess kit which is made from durualium, and is the best of the best cookware around.

Just a point, when looking into the mess kits (if they are available over the big blue water's), make sure you look into the typw witht eh handles in my pictures, not the one that folds over ontot he bottom. Reason being is that with the type I have you can lace all the handles together and hold both dixies with one hand.

Another tip about dixies, is that if you put the dixi into a suitable sized cheap plastic bag, then put the food into the plastic bag, you don't have to wash the dixi, just turf your left-overs which are now in the bag and pack away... Obviously when camping where there are provided facilities...

trangia kit packing where everything goes.jpg

trangia kit army dixi on pan stand off.jpg

9. Lennart F Sweden

Your belt looks like similar quality as the blue ones on my modern cheap chinese cookware and storm cookers, the cheapest got a thin brown "raincoat strip".
    They are unmarked but still trackable to somewhere in China as they are still marketed by chinese export agencies.
    Just thinking:-k:-k:-k