Mystery green .....Model G?

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by Got Dibbs, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Got Dibbs

20150213_045426_LLS.jpg 20150213_045543_LLS.jpg 20150213_045609_LLS.jpg 20150213_045340.jpg 20150213_045315.jpg 20150213_045328.jpg 20150213_045304.jpg

This I believe is an earlier MSR Model G, and with my personal favorite..... blue bodied burner bell. It came with the yellow pump. Which has the metal pickup tube and brass pins holding it together. In my opinion this is the best pump MSR ever made. Thick plastic, solid, aluminum fuel pickup, brass pins (which can be purchased at Tractor Supply and cut down to size "not brass")(screens inside pump also sold there), and just overall more efficient.
    Soon as I received the stove I tore it down to it's smallest components, lightly scrubbed everything, and then gently polished it. Then I replace all the o-rings, oil the pump cup, and assemble. Unfortunately I got in the habit of tearing the stoves down before I even test them, which isn't a Big deal because the manufacturing is pretty straight forward and there's no reason Why it shouldn't work after refurbishing it. What is upsetting is that I don't take photos prior to Cleaning. Anyways, after doing all that I lite the stove for the 1st time and this brilliant green flame came to life! Only for a short minute and then turned to the normal bluish fame.

2. Got Dibbs

Sorry, I've learned so far that you can only edit something up to 10 minutes after posting. Referring to my earlier question about Cleaning a stove and whether or not it affects it's value, I was wondering if it decreases it?

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

There is a big difference (I think) between cleaning a stove or polishing it till death! A clean, working stove is fine (after all, they get dirty by using them, just like a vintage car or mo-cycle needs a good clean after using them), a non-working over polished stove has no value for me. Just my topence!

Best regards,

Wim

4. Got Dibbs

All the stoves I listed pictures of so far have been cleaned and refurbished by me. So please take your time and closely study the photos and let me know your opinion on my bleed, sweat, and tears that went into polishing these stoves up? Thank you very much.

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I love my old pre-shaker GK (I use kero). The green flame was probably just some contaminent in the fuel line or burner that were burning off.
    Edit time for regular members is 10 mins.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

7. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

I really like that little beastie! :content:

Great write-up!

Alec.

8. TVFranti

so is it a 9A?

9. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

No, it's a G as described.

No preheat loop, so Gasoline only.

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

The only way to be sure is if he had given a photo of the pump end of the stoves fuel line.

A solid rod (9A) vs the removable cable (Model G).

The G & GK line of stoves was called Field Maintainable and the removable cabke was a main reason for that.

11. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

TVF,
    Ref. section not "the place for review/Q&A/discussion" but given the title is a question"?", i'll make an exception.
    Hey @Got Dibbs, there are several questions for you. I for one, as you know, am sorry you've stayed away (if you even get this) c'mon back man, it's better with you here.

I see a G from what I've seen.

Is it possibly a very late 9A? I'd say NO but do leave a slimmest possibility it might be.
    To-date, we've not yet confirmed examples of the last 9A nor the 1st G.
    ------------------

re 9A
    I join the thanks to @anfeng as a reliable XGK source :thumbup::thumbup: he shares
    "MSR Model 9~9A" 1973 - 1978
    his 5 examples (his #s) 9 #1, 9 #2, 9A#1, 9A#2, 9A#3
    With his given year range he offers example 9A3 is from '78.

Aside: "1978" (or by 1978) for end of 9A production is a supported detail however "mid 1977" is also supported.

Let's say his 9A3 is the last year of 9A production 77 or 78
    (or... , and I am not "asking" but, he may explain that 9A3 is from 1978 (early/mid/late?) in his thread).
    Anyway, in his thread, which is best we have, he is not confirming 9A3 is the last version of 9A.
    His 9A3 must definitely be considered, it is the latest known example to-date (my impression).
    The G above is later, maybe much later, than 9A3.
    ------------------------------

A solid rod (9A) vs the removable cable (Model G).
    and DFs have cable
    these are convenient, may or may not hold up, as we have established MSR made constant incremental changes (big & small) not aligning with model changes.
    ie 9A1, 9A2, 9A3, early & late MF, early and late DF, several versions of G & GK.

A month example (or year) confirming when the use of the cable began would be helpful.

12. TVFranti

That's really interesting OMC. I have what appears to be a very early G/K model, (rounded carburetor , single unmarked jet with brass filter, cable in fuel line, etc, with paper instructions from Aug '77), as well as what I understand to be a 9A (identical to the aforementioned 9A2, with a solid rod in the fuel line and a much smaller jet that is hollowed and has a spiral brass element((helix)) in it, I believe was part of the original design and patent.) The last post in the instructions section for MSR stoves on this sight on the last page , referring to MSR MF, speaks of the jet still including the helix and it is clearly marked "1976". So it seems the significant change your referring to must have been sometime near America's Bicentennial Year.

13. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

@TVFranti ,
    I thank you.
    Myself i avoid drifts in ref. posts your instructions comments are valid and interesting (June 76 well known).
    All MSR "paper" (and web detail) as a source can be
    problematic but some are
    excellent, the best (once triple checked, deeper dive and sorted). It's complicated and not easy.
    So myself, I'd say paper commentary aside for now (for another place).
    -----------------------

Re this thread and 9A vs G comments: your own 9A2 example has...
    " ... a solid rod in the fuel line and a much smaller jet that is hollowed and has a spiral brass element((helix)) in it"
    RE your brass "helix (threaded rod)"... Is it solid or hollow? thx

confession: until recently my focus was 9, MF, DF, G/K -on, "thinking" the "white gas only" models may get sorted in the process as a byproduct. Right or wrong. So to-date I've reviewed fewer 9, 9A & G.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  14. TVFranti

The stove you’re asking about has a solid piece of threaded brass (I don’t know what other material it could be). One end was mill or cut with a small concave top and the other has a tiny tail or perhaps it’s just a filing that hadn’t been cleaned off before it was installed. It was in the stove tail down so that’s the way I reinstalled it. No holes to ease extraction.

Attached Files: