Mystery Optimus 111

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by rjh, Jun 6, 2020.

1. rjh

rjh United Kingdom Subscriber

Does anyone remember the discussion about this mystery Optimus 111?. Some said probably a prototype or perhaps a custom build by a talented individual. I just have this one image, there were others but I am unable to find the original thread. I was hoping to find a conclusion to this mystery. 1340990926-122977581_n.jpg

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Never seen it before.
    Duane

3. William Ritchie

The blowtorch lighting device is kind of interesting , Obviously unfired since it still has paint . See something new on this site almost daily . WR

4. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen France Subscriber

Just an observation - The Rapid torch is the oldest “turn-version” from when they were first made - but the regulator is the newest plastic version?
    I’ve never (yet) seen this kind of thin metal sheet with something as old as the turn-version torch —> Regulator and box seems from the same age - but not the mechanics inside?

The box looks very pro made —> maybe a test specimen for Defence Forces with a re-use of old Torches?

(Hard to track on the internet:
    CA57737A-0207-43AA-8867-E1AC73350FE2.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  5. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Too bad there are no more pix. I scanned the SRG but saw nothing.
    Interesting concept with the case top being the cooking grate. I would wonder if the heat wouldn't be too much for the spot welds on the cross rods. We see no air holes lower down on the case bottom, and the combustion would also need lots of air.
    Drawbacks would be that junk would fall inside the open grill, so you'd need a bag, and you can't drop the casetop to snuff a runaway burner. After a cook, the whole case would be really hot. Would it be marginally lighter [grams-wise] with the sheetmetal of the casetop cut out, and the ''goalpost'' pan supports deleied?
    Flame-to-pan height would be about 3/8 to 1/2'' higher.
    Might be more windproof. IDK?
    Being only familiar with Bernz-O-Matic blowtorches, I don't recognize the gizmo Harder's referring to. But I agree with his possibilities -- prototype, or gifted amatuer's one-off.
    This stove does give me an idea about an 8R I have with a pretty rusty case. Hmmm... I'd need a spotwelder.

6. Plantpot United Kingdom

Just to aid rapid cooling when the case is closed after turning the burner off?

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  8. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen France Subscriber

@SveaSizzler
    Here is the turn-preheater on a Optimus 1200 - I’ve only seen it on Lanterns
    (Pic borrowed from CPL)
    ECC4E730-EBA3-4760-8994-68FA36C1D78C.jpeg

9. SveaSizzler

The inclusion of that device smacks of premeditation. Only an ''expert'' would think of using one and have access to it.

10. Simes

Simes Subscriber

An interesting 'Mod', sadly @rjh not one I can recall. That is not to say it hasn't appeared here previously, the 111/8rs with cases in poor condition are good candidates or donors for project stoves.

Are you sure it was CCS? I'll happily put my hand up to mis remembering quite a lot.

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, All,

Interesting stove, however, I don't think it was meant to run as we see it. Note that the burner is partly covered by the edge of the case. I would have thought that the burner would be centered on the grate, giving it lots of room to operate. Maybe a "steam punk", put-together?? Unless the case opens up, and allows the burner to center on the grate, and the fuel tank to be on the outside, I don't see how it would work well, if at all. Just my 'tuppence.....

Doc

PS - I've tried to fit 111 burners into lots of different situations, and it's not as easy as some may think.

12. SveaSizzler

I don't think, Doc, that this stray Eleventy-One is meant to be operated in the orientation shown.
    While we can't see it, there's probably a normal hinge at the back on the case, and the tank and burner assembly rotate forward 2 - 2-1/2'' for cooking. Then the burner is centered in the grate, and the control knob goes in the normal keyhole for regulating the flame.
    We see a slot cut out on the case front -- about 1 x 4'' to separate the fuel tank/heat shield from the box and allow the feed tube to fun underneath. The pump -- necessary in a Kero burner -- would not be operable inside the box.
    What's hard to see is if the ''A'' pillars come up from the case bottom, or extend down from the case top. Too highly polished to make out separation lines.
    The front slot might be all the ventillation needed for operation, but I would not be surprised by more air holes elsewhere.

13. rjh

I have found some more images, this time with the Cobra burner fitted (control spindle to the left). The pressure gauge does not have to be removed when transporting the stove fully closed, I tried a gauge from a 155 on a 111T and found the case can be fully closed with gauge in situ. Optimus prototype.jpg

14. rjh

Harder mentioned the older pre heater fitted as shown here. This stove with pre heater and pressure gauge looks like a more compact alternative to the Heinze Geniol military stove. Optimus3.jpg

15. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi all,
    This is an 1980's Optimus made prototype of a US Armed Forces Squad Stove. There was a thread about this, I think less than a year ago, where I posted some documentation. The search function does not seem to work properly now, I cannot find that thread. I'm sure it will come back though so we can solve the mystery.

BR/Staffan

16. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks, Staffan.

Cheers

Tony

17. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

I just realized why I cannot find the old thread, it was posted in the Valuations directory. These threads self-extinct after 90 days. If I remember correctly, it was someone (not a member) who had inherited one of these prototype units and came here for to find out what it was and asked about the value. A bit sad, I think there were good images and info in that thread so it should have been moved somewhere else.

18. rjh

Thank you Staffan, very sad to see the thread lost.

All the best, Robert Hepburn.

19. SveaSizzler

Were the modifications done at Natick Labs, or Optimus factory?

20. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

It was incorporated into the Optimus Rider 324 also.

1517E10B-8027-4FC7-BDCC-E58E47C5C14F.jpeg

C473DA1D-9AB7-4A19-993F-89BC2B03A42B.jpeg

F5E7BD14-2B93-4854-BCDD-54BE326A2ACC.jpeg