Mystery Optimus?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tommy80, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Tommy80 Sweden

Hi!

I’ve been trying to figure out the model but I haven’t found it. It’s an Optimus twin/double burner that reminds of the 182....but it’s not a 182.

I’ve been checking this site too but have not found this specific model.

Would really appreciate help.

82C0D415-65AC-4794-B29E-C1F830DCDE12.jpeg 444FDCC4-8706-48AB-BE46-7F7A48CF53C1.jpeg 46A92E66-5ADE-49EC-B8AE-C46B8ACFD1E1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
  2. Lennart F Sweden

It looks like a predecessor of 182 - very similar to Radius 12 that was before 12AF that is quite like the 182 - but I don't know the number.

3. Tommy80 Sweden

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, looks like the 182. Ive asked a couple of ”experts” but no one knows what number it is. Any tips on how to find out number on it?

4. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Optimus twin burner
    example with better photo...

seems to be cheaper construction vs standard 182

colonial market?
    or War - production....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  5. Tommy80 Sweden

Yeah! Seems to miss some “convenient things” that the 182 has. Unfortunately the one I was interested in is on auction now. =( I was too slow because I didn’t know what number it was and couldn’t decice to buy or not. The seller told me the same thing as you guys. That it probably is a pre-182 or a cheaper version of the same.

6. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

in the future - it wil be interesting:
    is "table" of that example - the same like Punker
    [​IMG]

7. Tommy80 Sweden

Here are two pictures of the actual stove. The “table” looks very similar to the one you uploaded a picture of. But the legs are different.

C51FA382-CFF1-4566-AB3D-1339E7D796B3.jpeg B07894C8-4004-4131-9E7A-93723BB3B55F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
  8. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

idea to check - is Punker - produced parts for OPTIMUS possibly at WARTIME
    to verify (partialy) this - both "top's" of the table's need to be measured...
    table is multipart construction

9. Lennart F Sweden

I want to revide my answer - checking the gallery I found that 171/172/181/182 were the updated(simplier&cheaper production) version of Gloria stoves.
    The stoves in this thread and one similar in the gallery seem to have later parts and legs similar to the last Radius 12(E and very late AF) - I suggest this is a cheaper stove produced to succeed the 182 when market was shrinking.

10. Tommy80 Sweden

Thank you! I really love when people who know their thing explains stuff. I didn’t even know there were a brand called Gloria Stoves. Seems that I have a lot to learn. Gonna google a lot and check this site this weekend. =)

11. OMC

OMC Subscriber

It's a nice stove at any rate.
    We welcome all members, please take no offense from my comment.
    Swedish members have an intrinsic benefit when subscribing. You can read MUCH of the Swedish documentation in subscriber's reference section (vs sooo much we non Swedes can not read and struggle with).

Tommy, If you have asked of experts and will google a lot this weekend...
    I suggest anyone with such interest to subscribe and ability to read Swedish is all the more reason.
    FYI the '34 catalog, in English, features 172, 182, Gloria No. 2 and Gloria No. 102.
    In this instance however, at a glance, I do not (yet) find detail in ref. section to better ID your example.
    With more research, considering the parts used, an approx. age may be narrowed.

It remains a mystery so far. An interesting Optimus product, a very nice stove you have shared, thank you.
    Are we to gather from pics it is one someone else has already re-finished? ...and is offered on an online auction?
    Speaking for myself,
    note 1. I wish I knew it was digital images you were curious about (vs an example in-hand). Re note 1 you need not feel defensive, it applies across the board to everyone, this is a common occurrence (of note).
    I look forward to learning more should additional details emerge. Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  12. Lennart F Sweden

Optimus aquired Primus liquid fuelled stoves from Bahco in 1962 and I assume Punker was part of that deal as late Punker stoves are marked as Bahco products, Radius was incorporated in late 1963 and that trademark was discontinued for stoves.
    Looking at the details combined to a stove it feels as an Optimus/Punker/Radius mix that could not be older than early 1964.

This is my personal opinion and I'm eager to get any facts confirming or declining this.
    Maybe @Staffan Rönn could have a clue in his documentation?