Mystery Stove

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by PresTx82, Dec 25, 2008.

1. PresTx82

OK, I got the upload feature to work.

I've uploaded a stove that a friend has. Can anyone iddentify this stove? It's history, etc.? It looks like a nice piece of history.

1230228545-mystery_gas_stove.jpg

2. Lance

This is an alcohol (metholated spirits) stove of unknown make. Ensure all fittings are secure and there is a proper wick in the horizontal tube before lighting.

lance

3. PresTx82

On the bottom it says, "Newark, NJ". The name of the company is in script and all that can be read for sure are the last two letters "ha". The name might possibly be "Alpha".

Anyone have any more information on this. Is it circa 1911?

4. barnbiketom

Hello everybody, tom here. I too have the exact same stove/burner. it is indeed "alpha" on the bottom in script. and "Newark ,NJ" and some other numbers/markings that I am unable to read.
    I have fired it up and it works splendidly. it is gravity fed.. with a pan for initial lighting to warm the tube. after a minute, blue flames pop out of the burner and there is NO further dripping of fuel anywhere. it has little if any regulation, but is indeed quite a piece. Can anyone tell me (us) more ? it's history? it's WORTH?? tom

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

what is it made out of? i have a huge interest in this mystery stove after reading the manufacture location

this may be VERY interesting - I'll have to do more research and see what specifics i can dig up between work in the near future

My mother's family around the turn of the century until the mid- 1930's owned and operated a metal foundry in Newark New Jersey that produced parts if not whole appliances for furnaces - stoves etc. I've heard family stories of stoves, brass sculptures, furnaces.

I'll have to see if I can dig up company names, etc. anything - and see if there is any connection... neato

6. barnbiketom

The burner parts are cast iron.. there is the pan, where you place the initial charge of alcohol, the upper round burner and the lower part of the burner which sandwich together with the supply tube in the middle. that assembly fits neatly into the stand. the tank is most likely copper, with brass?bronze?? tubing soldered into it. same kind of elbow, then it goes thru the burner as mentioned. there is a wooden knob/brass needle adjuster valve which looks and serves exactly as a needle valve in a carburator.
    After the thing gets hot it vaporizes the alcohol and nice blue flames lick out of the burner. I think the lid needs to be screwed on tight, because after letting it go out, there was a bit of pressure in the tank...
    hope that helps? also it was enameled BLACK but i bead blasted mine and repainted BBQ Black..

7. barnbiketom

I am currently boiling some water for some coffee..

1257298432-000_0150__Small_.JPG 1257298444-000_0149__Small_.JPG 1257298455-000_0148__Small_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  8. barnbiketom

Well I decided someone might like it, so it's on EBAY NOW..starting bid is 19 bucks.. click HERE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. RonPH

Curious, with the cast iron body/burner, its not likely to tip over even with the fuel tank full of meths would it?

Ron

10. linux_author

there are two different stoves posted in the eBay posting - note the condition of the burner ring (clean vs very rusty)

perhaps i missed something?

(e.g., was the stove restored for sale?)

11. barnbiketom

Hi Ron. It sits very nicely since it has three legs. I have the tank full now, and it doesn't make any difference as to the tipping concern. I can't say some ham-fisted person would never tip it over, but if careful.. it won't tip. Also, with a pot on it ,it would be much harder to tip too..

12. barnbiketom

You are right!! one pic is the "before" and others are "after" Glass Bead Blasting and stove painting of the cast parts. I did NOT touch the tank except for wiping it down gently. It does not leak and the solder joints appear great.

13. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

ok heres what i have learned after a million conversaitions picking grandma's poor brain anddoing some town research -

my families foundry produced cast iron, bronze, and brass fittings for various suppliers

great, great grandfathers name was Sylvester Birtwistle (foundry owner). Birtwistle family also also owned another foundry in Jersey City. This was around 1910-1925 -There was a second foundry on the main road along the rail lines in Newark NJ owned by another family that specialized in stove/heater/furnace parts and cast metals.

Im assuming that this Alpha model was most likely produced by them since at that time there were a number of smelting foundries but few that actually produced items in the newark area. I'll see if I can dig up the manufacterer name and info. but i think its safe to conclude that this is definetly 1908-1915 vintage.

hope this helps with information

14. barnbiketom

thanks for the info...

15. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

More info on this stove here

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015