Nearly DIY Indian stove...

Discussion in 'India' started by pau-i-amor, Jul 1, 2020.

1. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

My friend Albert, who rode his bicycle around India last summer, found this nearly DIY stove in Chennay, at SE Indian coast. Albert began the journey with a Edelrid stove. Some days after he sent a SOS message: The stove was completely clogged. He dismantled, cleaned and re-tooled... but it clogged again! Then he looked for a Coleman 442, that clogged too.

Albert sent me a lot of messages. At last I found the problem: Albert kept the fuel in a common plastic bottle for water. He bought a fuel bottle and continoued his journey. But he was tired of these fuel stoves and bought an Indian paraffin stove, too big for keep in a saddlebag.

Albert exchanged his big stove for this one in a Chennay workshop.

DSCF2778.JPG DSCF2780.JPG

Let's light it?

DSCF2754.JPG DSCF2767.JPG DSCF2766.JPG

Notice this loop pipe over the burner...

DSCF2788.JPG DSCF2787.JPG

Fuel tank label

DSCF2790.JPG

2. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Seems to burn ok, which is the main thing. Got to love it for that burner.

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

There have been posts on CCS describing these burners, someone bought some to test but I have no idea how far the testing stands now. Can't remember who was involved. A little voice says @presscall or @Doc Mark but I can be horribly wrong....as happened before... :roll: ;)

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I’ve had run-ins with large silent burners made in India Wim, but not that type.

That style of burner loosely resembles a Primus burner type I can’t readily locate in the Stove Ref Gallery. @kerophile has one and @Doc Mark too I recall. On the burner I have in mind though, the flame plate has two adjoining bulges to accomodate the coil burner tubes - giving rise to the term ‘baby’s bottom’, visibly obvious to anyone who’s changed their baby’s nappies!

John

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, @presscall , and @Wim ,

Yes, I saw something very similar, but with a regular roarer burner, when SB and i worked in Peru a few years back. The burner that this one sort of resembles is the SVEA #801. @kerophile has one, and I have one of the burners, but not the "Baby Butt" flame spreader that goes with it, darn it! The very first known stove to go up Denali, in AK, was a SVEA #14, with the 801 burner, and "Baby Butt" flame spreader. I saw it in a museum in Fairbanks, and lusted after one for years, before finding mine in San Diego!!

It was @Capt Don, who found another type of Indian made burner, that resembled, in a small way, the SVEA #801. Check this link to see the burner he found.

Very odd Kerosene burner, anyone familiar with this?

Capt Don was going to buy some of those burners, on behalf of several CCS members, for testing, but then just dropped off the map. Maybe he lost interest, or maybe he's just too busy to visit here any more. In any case, that's what I remember. I hope that helps. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Doc Mark ’s clarified, Svea No.14 with No.801 burner. Thanks Mark!

8. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

imo - in India - autofuel could be cleaner then kerosene