Neatsfoot oil drawback

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by presscall, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Deleted member 16399 Guest

Mine is a neatsfoot oil and beeswax blend. That's why it's starts to solidify .

I like Soto Stoves over MSR stoves now. It's far more superior better qualities , But It's pricey and not for common camp stove users .

2. Marc

Marc Subscriber

If it works for them, it works for them.

3. Deleted member 16399 Guest

Some people SWEAR BY EVOO ( extra virgin olive oil works the best so ... LMAO :lol:
    I hope I'm using right oil for leather cap.

4. Fettler United States

Wow! 3 pages and 62 posts.

Gentlemen, this is the war room, you can't fight in here! I think the axiom "don't let the perfect get in the way of the good" applies here.

I recall saving someone's morning breakfast some years ago at a national park campground, by filching a small amount of used motor oil off the engine oil dipstick of their car. I was the McGuyver hero that morning.

My suspicion is that in truly cold temperatures nothing will work particularly very well, maybe something like Mobil 1 synthetic in one of the 0w-30 "water" viscosities. But regardless when the mercury plummets a period of pumping and colorful language may be necessary before pressure starts to build. Yet one more reason why people move to Florida.

Vegetable oils will generally turn rancid and/or sticky. Olive oil might be an exception.

5. Deleted member 16399 Guest

I think people move to Florida is simply for Tax reasons... :lol:
    But I did love Mcguyver back then .
    Now I have a suspicious that he might have been some kind of drug addict tho . LoL:lol:

Go Mcguyver go ! :D/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2021
  6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Well, along those lines.
    Stove not working.

Are you skilled enough to make a meal and hot drink equipped with only a knife, or a knife and a rock? (Assumes a high carbon steel knife).
    Seriously. I have been practicing the skills to do just that. I am not there yet, but, quite a ways towards it.

7. Deleted member 16399 Guest

@snwcmpr

Errrr.. it's kind a getting off the topic ... lol

But yeah , I do know how.

A good high carbon steel knife is a life saver . Use that to shave wood into powder to use as fire starter as tinder , find a good stone ( to use as flint ) to strike it with that to create spark. Start a fire . Then create char cloth for easy fire starting aid for next time around etc... If I'm in a real situation with out a knife .I'd just start knapping stone to create a knife like ancient people did ... Nothing to proud about it but my life went down that low ...tbh .

Pic below is my survival kit I always keep it near by me ...
    Flintstones , a high carbon steel striker, a charred cloth made from a jeans cloth.

Attached Files:

8. Deleted member 16399 Guest

@snwcmpr

Trust me ...
    ( well, When other people says " Trust me " thinks it's always B.S. tho...lol )

Making fire from scratch then A cup of Pine needle tea and Dandelion root coffee ... A freshly cought rabbit meat or an poor squirrel, silly trouts , Cat fishes ... LoL :lol:
    Spiny Lobster etc ..

But it's really Svcks. :cry:
    if you compare to a ....

Nothing better than freshly grinded great coffee or tea made with nicely oiled smooth pump with an classic camp stove... An great breakfast done right with your great friends...
    that's what you really want.