Need help, new to this! Just got an old stove...

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Jayrofarm, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jayrofarm United States

Here it is! Super excited about it, but not sure how to make it work! Any help or guidance would be much appreciated! Can I run it on propane? I hope so! Thanks!

IMG_9479.jpg IMG_9477.jpg IMG_9478.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2019
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi @Jayrofarm , it looks like your stove was designed to run on the old city gas (this was a by-product from the production of cokes out of black coal). When city gas was replaced by natural gas over here during the 1960s some stoves could be converted by simply changing the jets. On the older models this was not possible. Pressure in these systems was very low. Maybe someone can give us more info re the possibility to convert your stove to run on propane but my guess is the biggest problem would be to find the correct jets!

Best regards,

Wim

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

+! on what @Wim wrote. Good luck!
    Doc

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @Jayrofarm and welcome.
    Is there a makers brand on the stove?
    It's definitely designed to run on low pressure so you will need a regulator. An older style one that can be adjusted would be best.
    The Jet size might have to be reduced as well.

5. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

@Jayrofarm , I've got one of those here, use a propane regulator and connect it to the stove for the low pressure fuel. Now light it, and adjust the plate at the back to admit the right amount of air to balance the flame to the desired blue tint. Turning the plate opens or closes off the kidney-shaped holes to vary the mixture.

This one I have is from my in-laws place, it was built at the turn of the century, so it was originally burning town gas or water gas, re-tuned in the mid 50's to burn natural gas. When we moved and her dad passed, we took it out of the lower flat with us, and I re-turned it again to run on propane.

They go for $50-150 or more, depending on who made them and how many burners. If you look on eBay, you'll see one converted to use propane bottles.

Murph