1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help - Russian 8R clone

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Duran, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Duran

Duran United States Subscriber

Hi everyone,
    I just recently received a brand-new Russian 8R clone which I was looking forward to getting started I am not new to this type of stove so I was able to start it without any problems. However, it does not roar, it barely produces some heat output. Any ideas what might be causing this? I am using white gas. I thought being brand-new it needed ample time to warm up especially in cold temperatures like forty degrees.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I have used the cleaning needle but no difference.

2. threedots New Zealand

A possibility is that the stove has a slight air leak that does not allow it to pressurise as it should. Check the fuel filler cap for air leaks.
    It could also be something to do with the internal wick. Odd being that it is a new stove though.
    Possibly a poor quality wick or it is too tight in the fuel supply tube. Cheers, John

3. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Australia Subscriber

The Russians make quite a robust stove but it can suffer from quality controle, as said check first for air leeks, hot water test is good. Seals could have dried out , wick could be a problem but rule out others first.

Cheers
    Rob

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

@Aaron Mitchell ,

From one Texan, to another! Did you over-fill the fuel tank? Sometimes that can cause a weak, or weird flame. You have some good advice as to what to check, in the posts up above. So, give that a squint, and see if you figure it out. Shouldn't be a weak willy, in any case. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Another thought, if the wick is shoved in too far, or not far enough, that can sometimes cause the problem you describe.

5. Duran

Thank you for the suggestion guys, much appreciated Doc, I made sure to put just shy of half a tank of gas. What is the best way to check for air leaks please?

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@Aaron Mitchell

Put pressure in the tank, close the fuel flow, and dunk in water.

Cheers

Tony

7. Duran

Ok, stove is fixed. Thank you all for all your suggestions.

It was an air leak on the nut by the gas control. I also put a Viton rubber seal on the fuel cap - figured it wouldn't hurt

Back in business ...

One thing though, the stove seems to sit higher or the side hole where the long key goes is lower, I have to use the key at an angle.

I may have to adjust the side opening unless you guys have a suggestion for this minor thing as well.

Thank you again!!! I appreciate you all and God Bless!

8. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

A photo of this would be worth 1000 words.

....Arch

9. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Check for leaks, I've had trouble with the SRV also. I like to put the burner and tank in the freezer for a short time, loosen up the fuel cap first then tighten again before dunking in hot water. This technique allows more time to check for leaks.
    Duane

PS--I see it has been fixed. Sounds now like the burner assembly needs to either be screwed in a tad or unscrewed depending on if the spindle needs to be lower or higher.

10. Robert Bruce

Asi said quality controle not so good, mine has the same problem with the controle rod, i just live with it. Good stove though.

Cheers
    Rob

11. Duran

Thanks, does yours take a long time to prime by any chance?

12. hikerduane

They have a smaller priming cup than newer 8Rs. I had to replace the fuel cap washer in my first one twice, the first replacement got hard really fast. Double check for leaks, they are your enemy.
    Duane

13. Duran

For whatever reason, mine likes a good warm up. It starts weak even after a good priming with denatured alc. , I let it run in "weak mode" for about a min. I prime it again and when it restarts , it has a beautiful blue strong flame. I love the sound too not too loud.

I checked for leaks, I don't have any.

IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG

14. Robert Bruce

Aaron mine primes really quickley , just a bit in the cup and a splash on the bottom. When nearly our open her up then she goes, low flame for a minit then she is a rocket, blue flaim.
    Cheers
    Rob

15. Duran

would an Optimus 8r Priming cup work on this stove, does it fit?

16. Duran

Ummm, something may be up with mine then. I get it started very very easily but it never goes into full power no matter how long I let it run unless I re-prime it. No air leaks and I changed the seals too just in case...

17. Robert Bruce

image.jpeg image.jpeg Aaron , don't know but can't see why not. Some pice but flaim does not show well on 8r clone. Camping at moment, oh the tranquility.
    Cheers
    Rob

18. hikerduane

The threads are different than the real deal. I once tried a Optimus cap that accepts the external pump but would not screw on. They can be picky at times. I use a cut up Tilley butterfly clip for my older 8s for additional meths capacity for priming.
    Duane

19. Radler

Radler Switzerland Subscriber

"would an Optimus 8r Priming cup work on this stove, does it fit?"

The Russian practise and with the early Optimus R8 instructions too, is to use the fuel to prime:
    Open the filler to equalize pressure and close it again.
    Open valve. Then warm the tank with your hands until fuel flows out of the jet into the priming cup.
    Prime.
    This is a good trick, it guarantees, the wick is wet and the tank equalized. But its sooty.
    Just remember it in a pinch.

Using alcohol for priming is better, less soot, but needs a larger priming cup.
    Do it like this:
    Take a beer-can.
    Empty it somehow.
    Cut off the bottom of the can carefully.
    Place it under the priming cup.
    Open the filler and close it again to equalize pressure.
    Prime with alcohol.
    Open the valve just before the flame is gone.
    DSC01437.JPG
    DSC01435.JPG

Best Regards
    Radler

20. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber