Need help with Coleman 505

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Olivier Naud-Dulude, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Olivier Naud-Dulude Canada

Hi, I just bought an old Coleman 505 and I am completely new to camping stoves. I can't seem to be able to make it work : after pumping about 40 times and starting it like it says in the instructions, no gas seems to be coming out and I it doesn't light up when I put fire on the stove.

I am using Coleman's camping combustible and the tank cap gasket seems to be in very good shape. I think the problem might be with the pump. What happens is when I unscrew the pump a bit and start pumping, it doesn't become harder with time. But when I remove the tank cap gasket, it still makes a pressure releasing sound, so I guess there is at least a little pressure going in (maybe not enough?).

So I tried removing the pump to see if it looks normal and everything seems to be fine (to me, at least). I added some lub and put it back in, but the same problem happens.

Here are some pictures so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Thank you in advance!

burner3.jpg burner2.jpg burner1.jpg

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS. Help will arrive soon.

3. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

IT should get considerably harder to pump after 40 pumps.

Oil pump leather with something, 3in1, engine oil, cooking oil even, then flare it gently w fingers.

Then, get some soapy water and piss it around your filler cap when pumped up. Any bubble at all is bad.

Next, pump up good and without closing the air stem (turning cw) put your thumb over hole in pump knob. It might gradually push back against you, but it shouldn't force your thumb up.
    Report back.

Got plenty of fuel in it of course.....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  4. Olivier Naud-Dulude Canada

Thank you for your reply.

I oiled up the pomp leather with engine oil and I tried putting some soapy water around the tank cap while pumping but I did not see any bubbles.

Then I tried pumping it up without rescrewing the pump and when i put my thumb on the hole I barely feel anything pushing.

Also, I was wondering if you know what the 60 secs means in the instructions on the burner (3rd picture of my post).

5. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Seems like your generator might be clogged?
    Try dismantling that brass tube going across the burner head
    - You should get the generator Loose with a thin pricker wire which you can gently pull out.
    After doing that - you can gently unscrew the tip/jet and make sure that tiny orifice is not blocked by carefully using the pointy end of the pricker wire.
    After that - you can spray all parts with some carburator cleaner and let it soak for a day - make sure the pricker wire is clean with no dirt hanging on to it. Oiled Steel wool no. 0000 is your friend here.
    Try assembling it all, when you have cleaned the inside of the generator (before carefully mounting the tip/jet and the pricker wire).
    Give it a thorough pre-heat and see what happens?

Manual 505A:
    https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/Coleman/Canada/Product Manuals/505A_STOVE.pdf

Manual 505B:
    https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/Coleman/Canada/Product Manuals/505B_STOVE.pdf

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  6. Tron

Tron Subscriber

I think you need to move the red lever directly above the pump to the right, so the pricker wire is not obstructing the jet. The other lever, above the Coleman logo should point down for 60 seconds after you light the stove. Its the "instant light" feature that obviates the need for preheating. After 60 seconds move that lever further to the right to burn.

Tron

7. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

Sound like to me you have a check valve that does not close. No cap leakage and 40 pumps you should have pressure. What air you are putting in tank is coming out when you pull the pump out for the next stroke. First try turning pump knob closed clockwise and see if you get pressure. You should because the valve is closed and the air cant go into tank. Don't try to remove it with standard width blade you will mess it up. There is some super strong thread locker down that hole. Report back after trying pumping with pump closed ok Daryl

8. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

Can you send stove back??? Someone sells removal tool. What I did is found a huge screwdriver and ground the blade down for a perfect fit so there is no slop in the screw slot. Then banged on end of screwdriver with hammer to hopeful help loosen the check valve. Don't let the blade slip or it may never come out. Might try soaking in lacquer thinner or acid tone first. About the time you think your are going to bend something it will loosen. You might try sticking fine wire into the check and maybe clear the hole. The check valve has spring and a ball to make seal. Good luck will check back latter Stay safe.
    ps others may have better method or loaner tool for you

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Lacquer thinner, wait, then a wire would be a good start.

Onecheck thing about the Coleman valve. Turning it closed after pumping is a positive seal for the check valve.

10. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

I am in Montreal (West Island) maybe I can help you. Message me.

11. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

In your third picture they are showing you how to start it.
    Move lever on left back and forth a couple times (this clears tip)
    Then leave the left lever all the way to the right

Move right lever straight down an leave it that way for 60 seconds after lighting, then move it to the right also.

12. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

Does your pump stop turning when you turn the pump knob to the right and loosen up when turning to the left? Is there any noticeable resistance? I do not see the square-shaped check valve stem in your pictures.

Attached Files:

13. Tron

Tron Subscriber

It's there in the photo, right in the middle of the pump tube like it is supposed too. Its painted green at the end.

Tron

14. Olivier Naud-Dulude Canada

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late reply I was away for a couple of days.

So I played with my stove today and realised that it is definitely leaking from the regulator (red arrow in the image bellow). When the regulator lever is turned to the left, nothing happens when I try to light the stove. When the lever is turned to the right, I am able to light the stove for a brief moment (15-20 secondes) and it makes a leaking sound and there is gasoline coming out of the middle part of the stove (definitely coming from the regulator). After looking at the parts manual, I am pretty sure that I am not missing any parts, so I am not sure why the problem is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Coleman Stove.jpg

15. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

Your arrow is somewhat misleading. Is the leak at where your arrow tip is or (most likely) from the packing nut? You may be able to tighten the nut.

16. Olivier Naud-Dulude Canada

The gasoline is coming exaclty from where the arrow tip is (it goes through the hole on the generator bracket). There is a gap between this part and the other hole that's in the middle of the stove, I don't know if that's normal.

I will still try to tighten the packing nut just in case

17. Olivier Naud-Dulude Canada

Update : I just tighten the packing nut and it does help alot. The flame is way bigger now when I light the stove, but the leaking problem keeps happening. The stove is making a leaking sound, the flame gets smaller and smaller and there is fuel coming out from the middle part of the stove.

18. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I suspect what you are likely experiencing is a flooded stove. I have one of those, and I was sure it was the worst thing ever made till I followed lighting direction PERFECTLY
    Your arrow points to the jet where the fuel is supposed to come out, shoot into the burner, and make fire.
    To light these, pump them up at least what directions say, I don't recall, but something like 30 pumps. Or more. Keep pumping.
    Short lever pointing down...
    Then have lighter or match at the burner THE MOMENT YOU OPEN VALVE.
    Once lit, now pump it continuously for another 20 seconds or so...

And it should be burning well, give it a few more seconds and now turn short lever to "run" position. DO NOT TURN TO RUN UNTIL STOVE IS BURNING WELL.

I discovered the hard way, if you open valve and then try to light a match it is already flooded, and then they leak fuel "from middle". They really aren't "leaking" they are just flooded and the excess is running down font.

19. Olivier Naud-Dulude Canada

Morning update : So yesterday night I am pretty sure that I tried tightening the packing nut too hard because now I can't force it as much as I could before. So now to tighten the nut to the maximum I dont have to force very hard or else it's just going to get loose again. The good news is that I tried it twice this morning and it does not seem to be leaking.

But the stove is still not working properly... The gas coming out is very weak and inconsistent. It seems to be 'pushing' gasoline at every ~1 second instead of bringing a constant flow. I took a video so you can see what I mean : video-1591804659 - Streamable

20. Olivier Naud-Dulude Canada

You are right about the flooded stove. The more and more I do exactly what the instructions say, to better it's working (and not leaking). But the fire still seems to be very weak compare to what I have seen in many videos. This video : video-1591805347 - Streamable is the strongest fire I could get with my stove.