Need info on Coleman Cabin Stove model 378

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Texgrilln, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Texgrilln

I have an old stove that I can't seem to find any information on. The metal tag on the front reads: Coleman Cabin Stove Model 378 (maybe 376) Coleman Lamp and Stove Company, Witchita, Kansas. If anyone knows anything about this stove I really would appreciate your reply.
    Thanks,
    D. Horn

2. usdan50

usdan50 R.I.P.

your cabin stove is a 378A and was born in 1931.there was no 376. Very collectable and admired by Coleman Collectors.A very nice piece. Dan

3. jollygreen United States

Just in case someone else ends up here looking for info on a 376, it actually does exist.
    They were produced in the early to mid 1930's (beginning in 1933 ?)
    It's the sister stove of the 375A which is a 3 burner version. They were often listed together in catalogs/advertisements of the day.
    This is a picture one that I own (patiently waiting in the restoration queue).
    376 cabin stove - Coleman-1933_6.jpg

Clip from a 1936 ad:
    375A and 376 from 1936 Ad.jpg

4. OMC

OMC Subscriber

@jollygreen ,
    Welcome ! Excellent 1st post.. very considerate of you, thank you.

We see model 376 in your ad.
    OP was unsure of # on his name plate.
    Can you share what your nameplate says (close up image?) or best you can make out?

You mention "...advertisements / catalogs of the day"
    with credit to source(s) addl. such ads would be a welcome contribution.

I could post just to say WELCOME as I am impressed and appreciative with your 1st post.
    That said, I do have a tidbit to add, it sheds light as to why i question name / title in ad? or nameplate?

FYI: on pg. 365 in Guide to Vintage Coleman Products 1900 – 1983 (fwiw, as stovie, i'm known to also refer to it as the good book)
    We clearly see a "Coleman Cabin Stove" (on nameplate), the good book refers to it as a 367 . With initial review it appears to be an exact match to yours... yours being a 376 .
    Sounds like the one in OP is 376 also (also in TX). Given this thread, it seems probable that 367 in the good book was a typo? and should also be 376?

You were right to post here (the online stovie resource) and
    you were right to think others may find it "... here looking for info on a 376".
    Details aside, I'm happy to welcome you and thanks again for great 1st post, well done :thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  5. jollygreen United States

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for the kind welcome.
    Now to the matter at hand, the Coleman no. 376 Cabin Stove.
    While rare, there are a few references to them on other websites that are well known Coleman information resources. I would have supplied direct links but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate.
    Since since you are interested in source material, here are some verifiable references. While there are certainly more out there, these are ones I've seen with my own eyes:
    1935 Parts Catalog No. 23 - Page 42 (Images included below)
    1944 Coleman Parts and Supplies Catalog No. 28 - Page 30
    1947 Coleman Parts and Supplies Catalog No. 30 - Page 29
    1935 PartsCatalog #23_1.jpg 1935 PartsCatalog #23_2.jpg 1935 PartsCatalog #23_3.jpg

Here's a picture of the tag on my 376 (the one pictured in my earlier post). I've included a close-up of the model number for those who's eyes are as bad as mine.
    I haven't started work on that stove yet and only cleaned the tag enough to insure that the model number could be easily read.

376 tag_pic1.jpg

376 tag-detail.jpg

This is the tag from my 375A for comparison. Note the matching patent number.
    375A tag_sm.jpg

6. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS Jollygreen. like OMC said " Excellent first post"

7. jollygreen United States

I'm revisiting this to add that the 1936 date on that image is unconfirmed. I've been looking for the source and have not found it.
    I suggest depending on the official Coleman documentation referenced above if you're looking to date one of these stoves.
    That documentation show that Coleman 376 cabin stoves were certainly produced prior to Sept 1, 1935.
    I've yet to find any reference to them prior to the 1930s and the ICCC seems to agree as their website shows that the 376 was produced in 1933-34.

I'm currently researching other 1930s cabin stoves and if I find out anything concrete I'll return to add it here.