NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Jack Ryan, Jan 14, 2022 at 1:28 PM.

1. Jack Ryan United Kingdom

I've jusr removed the jet and cleaning needle from my Optimus 111.
    Ive reassembled it but now the paraffin seems to be weeping from the jet .
    Ive tried it fully open and fully closed with the needle tip showing out of the jet hole.
    The stove is stone cold and as soon as I screw down the filler cap it weeps fuel.
    What have I done wrong?

Also. In regard to the 111 and the 8R stoves, while the jet and the packing washers on the spindles seem to be the same numbered parts can you tell me if the spindles are the same?

Ive got some cleaning needles in a job I found recently at a boot sale.
    Some have 4 racks on them and some have 5. I assume the 5 rack is for the 111 and the 4 rack is for the 8R, is that right?

Thanks Jack.

2. Jack Ryan United Kingdom

PS to above thread.
    Can these stoves be run without the cleaning needle in pace and
    use an ordinary ''pricker'' like the OO stove use??

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Jack,

Hummmm... :-k. Sounds like you might have the cleaning needle set up improperly. I'd remove the needle again, and set it as per Optimus recommendations. I usually set mine down about 4-5 clicks, depending on the stove. That gives you a good "throw" for adjustment, and also makes sure the needle can fully raise into the cleaning position. Here's what I wrote to a good friend here at CCS, some time ago:

"As to resetting your cleaning needle, you only need to unscrew the burner cap, then remove the nipple/jet. Once that has been done, use your regulating key to raise your cleaning needle to it's full height, and keep going. It will come free of the spindle teeth, and using a pair of fine needle-nosed pliers, or tweezers, you can lift it free of the teeth. Then, close your spindle completely. Reinsert your cleaning needle, making sure that the teeth are oriented in the proper direction to mesh with the spindle teeth, and gently press it down onto the spindle (carefully!). Whilst pressing it down into position, slowly open your spindle, and listen for the clicks, as the teeth pass by each other. I always go for 4-5 clicks, then close your spindle. The teeth will mesh and engage, and the needle will lower itself down into it's proper position. You will notice a marked improvement in the simmering capabilities of your 8R!" (Same for the 111).

I hope that works for you. In answer to your other question, yes, you can run your 111 without a cleaning needle. But, in truth, once your needle is adjusted properly, you'll be happy to have it insitu! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Paul Lydon United Kingdom

After you've adjusted the needle as suggested, note that when the needle tip is showing, the valve is just past fully Open. Turn the valve clockwise to close and anti-clockwise to open with maximum just before the flame is affected by the needle popping out.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

For holding the pricker in place while 'clicking', I use a pencil with the pricker stuck in the eraser.

Yes, it can be used without the internal pricker. That is a good way to test that the valve does close properly.

6. Jack Ryan United Kingdom

Many thanks to you all for your help.
    I have managed to stop the weeping but now the stove ajustment is very poor.
    Hardly any movement between ''closed'' and ''clean'' so i will follow the guide that
    the Doc has given me and see how it goes.
    Thanks again for your patience and sharing your knowledge.

Jack

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

8. Jack Ryan United Kingdom

Followed your advice and it seems to have worked a treat.
    Thanks again for all your trouble in replying .
    Jack

9. Duck

Happy to hear you got it sorted out. I need to reset the pricker on my 8R one of these days.