New burner and travel cap/snuffer for homemade stove

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Twoberth, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Constructive comments lead to new ideas, one of the many things I love about this Forum.

In my previous post here, @Rangie asked 'what provision is there to seal the lipsticks/feed tube during transport?'. The basic answer was none - other than the thimble afterthought. Then @Ian reminded me that the Monitor Picnic has a 'snuffer' transport cap, which threads onto the lipstick. So now I wanted to make a threaded lipstick.

I have two spare Svea 123 burner bells with threaded collars, and so I decided to make a new lipstick with the same thread pitch down the outside. This thread has a 1mm pitch as best I can measure it. This time I decided to put a 0.23mm nipple into the lipstick rather than drill a small hole.

DSC09748.JPG DSC09749.JPG DSC09754.JPG DSC09757.JPG DSC09750.JPG DSC09758.JPG DSC09759.JPG

Below on the right is the new lipstick and Svea burner bell and on the right is the original lipstick and the Primus burner bell

DSC09762.JPG

So now I need a snuffer to match the new threaded lipstick. A piece of copper pipe with a soldered cap makes the snuffer, and a plastic liner glued inside made for a tight fit. Since the snuffer is not under any pressure when in use I used the lipstick as a tap to cut a matching thread into the plastic liner, and put a blue plastic stopper inside the cap,

DSC09764.JPG DSC09765.JPG

Much better than the thimble IMHO. Thanks again to Rangie and Ian for the helpful comments.

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

3. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Very nice. :)

4. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Nicely finished off!

Alec.

5. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

@Twoberth

Hi Twoberth,
    Can I expand on my reply on your recent
    two stove post, I like your solution to stop lipsticks weeping fuel. Very practical. Keep being inventive, & Thanks.
    My Best to you. OPTIMUST.