New NRV removal tool

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Migwar, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Migwar Lebanon

Hi everyone, I have a Radius 35 with a locked NRV. Locked means that the NRV doesn't open to allow the pump to do its work. No air is passing to the tank. I did the necessary troubleshooting to make it work, but clearly no hope.

I have to go to the last option, to extract that NRV and look into it, to assess and know of there will be space to fix it.
    No NRV tools in this country (Out of question).

Again, the forum gave me plenty of information about NRV removal tools and I liked the idea of making one myself.

Furthermore @kerophile shared, with thanks, a link for a complete reference which included the dimensions; @Harder D. Soerensen sent me, with thanks, some pictures of his own very simple, yet very efficient removal tool.

I've been in a shop during the weekend and collected 2 items. A T shaped key that have a 10mm hexagon fitting head and a hexagon shaped steel rod.
    I did cut today the latter (5.1 mm width and 5 mm depth). Then I did insert the part inside the T shaped key head and did the cutting, ended up with a small totally fitting insert (After flipping). This should keep the insert from snipping the NRV head as I've learnt. Pictures will talk more.

Any opinions/ ideas to be shared before that I do the extraction? This would be appropriated.

I was thinking of putting some steel glue inside the T shaped head to fix the insert permanently, not sure of that though.

I will be also wrapping some sort of tape around the T shaped key bar, to keep it centered inside the pump tube (Other ideas are still possible too). I will take care to keep enough pressure during the application on the NRV, not to cause damages as also learnt from the forum.

Please feel free to tell me about any possible defects for this tool, that could cause failures to me and also to anyone else who will be checking this thread in the future (Not to be misleading).

Below are the pictures:
    20210914_182722.jpg 20210914_182808.jpg 20210914_182740.jpg 20210914_182948.jpg 20210914_182837.jpg 20210914_182824.jpg 20210914_183100.jpg 20210914_183035.jpg

All the best for everyone,
    Regards,
    Migwar

2. ally

ally Subscriber

the common wisdom seems to be to mount the tool in a vice and push the stove down onto it, thus exerting as much pressure as possible onto the valve itself

I hope your new tool works well, it not I would be pleased to purchase and post a tool to you

:)

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Good that you reinforced the slot, otherwise it could break off.
    Duane

4. Radler

As long as you have to press down the tool on the NRV, all this power is working against your intention to make the NRV rising. No wonder it is stubborn. Most NRV we meet are more or less deformed by previous owners. A good tool should be blocked to slip off, without bringing any force on the NRV. Also the tool should be kept exactly in the axis of the pump.

Making a special key for NRV removal
    You could easily realise this idea with a different stem, a nut and a hexagon key on the upper part of it.

Regards Radler

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  5. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Migwar soak the NRV in penetrating oil for several days before making an attempt to undo it. Sometimes filling the tank with boiling water can help release it or allow the oil to penetrate the threads.
    You may even be surprised and it comes loose easily.
    Nice simple homemade tool by the way looks like it should work.

Good luck
    Nick

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Well thought out and constructed tool @Migwar

John

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

I like the idea of using a socket to reinforce the slot. :thumbup:

8. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Nice work man.

9. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

+1 with @nmp and Ken.
    Better to have all changes on your side before the first try.
    Good luck!!

10. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

I’m late to this thread but just one thought, I had one stove where the NRV would not allow the pump to operate, after a few days with fuel in the tank it freed up and started working. Had the tank been dry for a long period before you tried it? This may be no help at all, just throwing it out there.

11. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I poke the NRV with wire to free it, but many just replace the pip if the NRV can be removed. I'm usually wanting to try out my latest treasure and replace the pip as needed.
    Duane

12. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

That's a well thought out tool, nicely done :thumbup:
    I like that the socket strengthens the slot :D

My own NRV tool for small pump tubes is a piece of grade 8.8 round bar (a sliding fit down the tube) with a slot cut in the end, the tube itself is the centraliser. Quite beastly but does the job:-#

As others have said, the best technique is to hold the tool in a vice/vise and turn the stove around the tool. much less chance of the tool riding/torquing-out of the NRV head.

Happy fettling,
    Alec.

13. Migwar Lebanon

Many thanks for all, glad you liked it, the tool turned out to be a very efficient one :lol: