new old 155

Discussion in 'Optimus No:155' started by n2666s, Apr 28, 2014.

1. n2666s

1398710269-2014-04-24_11.11_155.jpg
    Gentlemen, had been placing pix. under "Kerophile's" thread 155 cooker but figured out it was time to start a separate thread and give a great big thank you to George for all his help and sharing of wisdom.
    am going to start at this post if OK on 04/24/2014
    Preheating
    1398710294-2014-04-27_17.45_preheating_155.jpg
    OK did a temporary repair on the filler cap/pressure gauge; it was loose because the "O" ring /seal was dry and compressed into a groove so did the "redneck" thing and carefully took the seal out, wound some cotton twine behind it reversed it and and put it back in place; tightened it and pumped; yippiii; it is holding pressure; needle in the green!
    preheat as you told me, still with pressure

fire her up trying to keep kids and dogs away

never could get the left side to do anything but big yellow flames + smoke; so guess I will need the parts you recommended
    now the threads on the filler cap/cover/gauge are 20 x 1,5 metric, so am needing a seal of that size, cause my redneck repair is a temp thing to get her going.....any ideas of metric seals?; round here we deal mostly in inches and fractions . again appreciate the help and kindness; and apologize for any hijack BUT am too ignorant to get photos posted on personal messages;
    Lou
    Blowin and Goin
    1398710308-2014-04-27_17.53_blowing_and_going_155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Lou, all you appear to need is a new outer cap for the left hand burner. The inner cap seems to be there. Please confirm this.

To celebrate UK/USA Friendship week allow me to donate a NOS outer cap which should do the business.
    I will mail it to you in a few days time.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. n2666s

requested pix; the left cap + burner ALWAYShas yellow flames + smoke/soot and is very different from the right side that has a great flame pattern :?:
    Lou
    left cap
    1398712124-2014-04-28_12.59_left_burner_and_cap.jpg
    left cap again!
    1398712162-2014-04-28_13.01_left_burner_and_cap_2.jpg
    Right Cap
    1398712209-2014-04-28_13.01_right_burner_and_cap.jpg
    comments very very welcome; cheers;
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  4. kerophile

Lou,

1. As I told you earlier, the foreign object stuck on the LH burner is a French-made burner from a butane gas stove. It should be nowhere near this Optimus beauty.

2. Give the RH burner cap a good clean with some steel wool and kerosene to remove the scale and rust and it will burn even better. It will also help avoid any danger of underburn.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Can you transfer the right-hand outer burner cap to the other side and see if the burner then functions correctly?

6. n2666s

George; thank you very much :)
    David, that is brilliant :clap: , will try to do so this evening; a bit of bad weather here and under tornado warning but if it lets up will do so, but will go with the burner cleaning with steel wool and kerosene as per my teacher :)
    question that I have is the burner cap on the left side is very different from the right side BUT the burner base?, the part the burner cap fits on is smooth whereas the right side is perforated; is the part beneath the left cap also part of the french butane burner?
    Lou

7. kerophile

Hi Lou, inner caps come in two flavours . Some have top holes, others don't . With a new outer cap your LH burner should still operate without the top holes in the inner. You can always add holes later if you want them.
    If you want background read this thread:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/6699
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

couldnt see the inner cap in the early pics . A new outer cap and it should bee just fine.
    It might be possible to tune the Gaz cap to work but you dont want or need to.

9. kerophile

Hi Lou, while waiting for your " new" burner cap, why not borrow the outer cap from your Optimus 5 stove?
    It should be interchangeable and we can then see a photo of your Op. 155 with both burners working.
    Just a thought,
    Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. n2666s

George; was thinking the same; tried to remove the burner cap BUT it is VERY stuck :cry: hit it with some kroil oil and will let it sit for a few before I stick a torch to it it has been a long night in the basement with the tornado sirens going off; have to be up in a few to get kids fed then off to work...........cheers :)

Lou

11. n2666s

David and George thank you both for the advice :clap:

1398803920-2014-04-29_13.49_both_burners_going_blue.jpg

1398803940-2014-04-29_13.59_both_burners_blue_2.jpg

:) yippiiii; both burn blue; sun is very very bright and you cannot see the blue flame burn very well but here she goes.
    George; in the lower picture the pressure is still holding half way between the green and 0 after > 48 hours :)
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  12. n2666s

Gentlemen; how the heck do I turn her off :?: ; clockwise :?: .........to the "closed" position still squirts :shock:
    counterclockwise.............to the "clean" position also squirts BUT less :shock: . and even after the flames are out on the right burner there is still quite a bit of dripping going; you can see the droplets on the stove surface on its right side + buildup of kero in the pre-burner area :?: ........only and just the right burner; maybe too much pressure??, again all the advice and comments are appreciated;
    Lou

1398804983-2014-04-29_14.13_still_squirting_Kero.jpg

13. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  14. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Hi Lou,
    Nice stove you have here.
    George's links are excellent showing the insides of these burners and the adjustment procedure.
    Remember though, you can always shut down a kerosene stove by simply releasing the pressure by unscrewing the fill cap. You wouldn't want to do that for a gas burner since the vapors are flammable but it's safe to do on a kero burner.

15. n2666s

George; Ray; thanks for the help and advice; was/am leery of releasing the filler cap as have her seal "redneck rigged" by reversing the washer and bolstering her with a piece of cotton twine; have sent an email to Optimus about filler cap seals but no reply yet :(
    am including pix of both burners going well in the wind before the tornado came through a bit too much light + wind to show them going well....yippiiii :D

1398928727-2014-04-29_17.57_evening_before_tornado.jpg

16. BernieDawg Banned

Lou - on those fuel cap seals. There's this fellow who runs a little e-store called The Fettle Box. His name is Ross. You may have noticed he has an ad in the sidebar here at CCS. He can set you up with a new seal for that stove and send you a new leather pump cup (if you have one) as well as the pip to redo your NRV in the bottom of the pump tube. If you have the o-ring style pump, you can get o-rings from me or from Base-Camp, part 2322. I don't think that Ross fellow has started selling the orings for stoves yet.

If you service the NRV you'll need an NRV wrench. There's a fellow named Stu, (loco7stove) here at CCS who makes those, but, sadly, his tool is too short. You need a big 10" tool - this is one of those cases where size really *does* matter. Maybe Stu can make a custom long tool for you, or, you can get them through Base-Camp (part 5164, ???, I'd ask Mike at Base-Camp on the length to be sure).

On the leaky burner, I'd bet you need to reset the cleaning needle. Fellers have linked you to some info on that above. In the YouTube video I have up on the reassembly of a Svea 123R, I show how to set the cleaning needle starting at about 16:45. Yeah, it's a different stove, but the concept is still just about the same as setting the needle on your 155 burners.
    -svgLuqyGG4[/media]]Svea 123R Reassembly Video

You can test to see if it's the needle that needs to be reset by removing the jet, opening the valve all the way, and plucking the needle from the burner. Then, reinsert the jet and see if that solves the leakage. If it does, great. If not, you may have issues with a spindle tip that has a burr or is damaged in some way. Once you've got it figured out, you'll now need to reset your needle anyway. Watch the video for tips.

The 155 is a great stove. It's been my deck stove for outdoor cooking on the back deck in the warmer months for the last couple of years. I just got in some stainless sheet to build a backsplash and wind shield wings for the new setup for this season.

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  17. n2666s

Gary; just sent an email to Ross.....thanks again, cheers;
    Lou

18. n2666s

Gary; thanks again; have watched the SVEA youtube videos several times and keep learning something new each time I watch it............excellent :clap: ; placed in on my "favorites" list...and thanks also for the info on the alcohol bottle...there are several trangia types including the Swedish mil surplus; went ahead and purchased the one with the "safety" shut off valve feature.
    GMTA :) plan on using ours outside also do most of our cooking outside during the summer so as not to heat up the home; gets hot enough without adding the stove inside;
    Lou

19. n2666s

OK, had a helper this morning; had made a small pot of coffee on it and "stove is working"; needs some tweaking BUT is working soooo; here it goes; making breakfast with a little helper :content:
    Can I fill Her with Kerosene?; I watched you do it before.
    1399189888-2014-05-03_10.38_Can_I_fill_her.jpg
    does the griddle look OK?
    1399189972-2014-05-03_10.50_can_I_put_the_griddle_on.jpg

can I please cook breakfast?; I helped you on the Coleman.
    1399190025-2014-05-03_10.57_can_I_cook_breakfast.jpg
    Do you think Mommy will like them ?

1399190085-2014-05-03_11.23_do_you_think_mommy_will_like_them.jpg

all in all a great morning; even a child can run one
    still need to disassemble and tweak BUT, hey it is working and no complaints from the "eaters" problems I see;
    no real decent adjustment; either full blue blast HOT or big yellow underburned? flames; when shut off the left burner continues to leak :(
    but the helper and myself had a great morning; myself with a mug of coffee I had just made on it watching the "helper" listening to the birds and other wildlife having the greatest of times :)
    Lou

20. n2666s

Gary; this is puzzling; when ahead and checked the needles at your suggestion and the left/yellow flame/leaky side needle is about twice the size as the right non leaky side???; what the heck???!!, don't want to pull the whole enchilada apart cause just put in new seals :( 1399827094-2014-04-29_14.13_still_squirting_Kero.jpg
    could :? this just be a needle/jet/orifice for a alky stuck in there in the past causing the leakage or a NRV issue? :?; probably need to replace needle + jet but with what size??
    appreciate opinions and recommends
    Lou