new old 155

Discussion in 'Optimus No:155' started by n2666s, Apr 28, 2014.

1. n2666s

yep; the darn jet on the left side is about twice the side as the one on the right side; right side about 0.021-27 one on the left around 0.044-48 :? how the heck did this happen?; and would this cause fuel spillage/leaking/spraying from that left burner?, wouldn't the needle provide enough seal?? :? thanks for advice suggestions in advance :?
    Lou

2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Lou, it sounds like someone put in an alcohol jet! Your stove will never work (unless you replace the other one by an alco one and change from kero to meths... :roll: )
    Some years ago I bought a spares set for my 155 from Stuga Cabana in Germany but I can't remember if the set included a jet (I think it does) . I'll have a look tomorrow. (I really mean I'll start a search party :roll: :lol: :lol: :whistle: . To much "thingy's" around :? ).

Best regards,

Wim

3. BernieDawg Banned

The large needle, and probably the jet, too, since it has to accommodate the needle, is for use with alcohol. You have the wrong jet/needle set. Somebody before you was probably an idiot and put the wrong ones in. It happens all the time with stoves and stovies. :lol:

Purchase the correct ones from CCS site sponsor Base-Camp in England, A&H in the USA, or eBay seller world_wide_2009 in Japan.

The needle does nothing to seal the burner. Only the spindle does that. Examine this CCS thread until you puzzle it out and understand how the burners work:
    Regulated Burner Cutaway Sticky

It may be that the tip on your spindle is spalled or deformed so that it won't seal correctly, though my money is on the needle being set incorrectly so that the spindle cannot close the opening by the needle jamming up from being set too low.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Lou, I found the service kit (service sats till optimus 55/155 2010, by FOGAS) It contains 2 different cleaning needles (N°2455 & 2457) and one jet (N°2509). Also a new spindle, NRV and some seals/washers.

Best regards,

Wim

5. n2666s

Wim and Gary; thanks again for the very helpful advice; will need then to purchase the complete set for kero for the right burner, have already ordered the graphite packing ribbon from McMaster-Carr; am a bit perplexed about needing the NRV; have played with setting up the needle over and over and feel pretty good with it at 4 clicks but have not fired it up yet; guess just practicing till I get a feeling of confidence setting the needle.
    Wim; you mentioned a complete set up from FOGAS with all the needed sundry parts; do you have a website/address?.
    Gary; checked on the needles/jets from the sites you mentioned just wondering about needing to purchase a service set to get a spindle + NRV :? hate to pay extra if i don't need to
    thanks in advance for your replies :)
    Lou

6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Lou, I'll try to insert a link (hope it works :roll: )

http://hytta.de/kocher/795.htm

I think it does! :D/ :lol:

Also had a look at FOGAS, but it is Swedish only and I don't understand any of it :oops: . (you can find FOGAS in the "Links" on top of the page).

Best regards,

Wim

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. n2666s

Wim; :clap: yippiiii ; yep, that is what I need :lol: now will try to figure how to order............thanks again for the help :)
    Lou

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. n2666s

got the new jets + needles finally out of Korea; got them into the problematic left burner and oops :oops: did not seat the jet in all the way :oops: 1400836047-2014-05-22_23.50_after_new_jet__and_needle.oops.jpg
    so; take her out again and put some anti-seize and seat her home!
    1400836107-2014-05-23_00.25_after_tightening_loose_jet.jpg
    much much better; still room for improvement BUT she is ready to cook breakfast for my troop in a few hours :)
    thanks to all my teachers :)
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  10. n2666s

OK so the left burner that we feel was an alcohol burner some one placed in the past continues to give me fits; after burning nicely over and over it starts with that yellow flame and soot crap ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
    have taken it out; cleaned it, ultrasounded it and torched it at least 4 times cause all the crud that builds up; well decieded to take both burners out and reservice them; when side by side??? ](*,) ](*,)
    :shock: what the heck is wrong; one burner; the left one that always screws up does not have a restrictor 1404543372-003_different_burners.jpg , the right one does or is it vice versa? :oops: took them both apart and placed them in the ultrasonic so can't remember which is which now; need advice big time; does the kero burner have a restrictor or does the alcohol burner?, Gentlemen; thanks in advance;
    Lou

11. n2666s

let me start this again;
    when I got this 155 it had an alcohol burner on the left side and was a disaster; with the aid of the Gentlemen on this forum it got sorted out and replaced the needle and jet with kero needle and jet and torched it + ultrasound + citric acid; :D/ :D/ .........whoa; not so fast ](*,) ](*,) 15-20 minutes later yellow sooty flame again went through the entire removal cleaning process several times.........at all times, NO Problem with the right burner so no need to clean it out?, right? so I never removed it.
    so Yesterday same problem again, the left side starts to soot up again soo why not take both off and clean them since the right side even though it burns nicely is looking scuzzy also!; :shock: :shock: the throats are totally different :shock: !.
    1404675027-003_different_burners_right_choked_left_none_choked.jpg

it is not really clear on the left burner about the choke cause you are looking straight down the "Y" of the burner, it is clearer on this one
    1404675115-002_throat_non_choked_burner.jpg

NOW THE BIG PROBLEM :oops: :oops: :rage: :oops: :cry: :cry: which one goes where? I put them both in the ultrasonic/citric acid bath together :cry: ..........the question is which burner is the correct one :? ? choked or non-choked :? ? appreciate all the help and advice I can get; cheers :)
    Lou

12. n2666s

continuing the saga of the 155 and many thanks to the gracious help of members of this forum have found out that when the alcohol burner was installed the cone was left out; it is NOT a restrictor; but a very necessary tightening cone to seal the line into the burner; part number 2116; thanks George :thumbup: :)
    Mike "the stove" has these cones in stock and will be sending me a paypal invoice; I was stuck with this 155 beating my head against a brick wall over and over and until I took both burners out.
    "violating a cardinal rule.........if it is working ; don't fix it!"
    glad I did cause,
    side by side it was blatantly clear something was wrong!.
    thus the fuel leaks and the yellow flame conflagration after running a short time :shock:
    :shock:.
    :idea: probably why it was taken off the boat it was in :idea:
    thanks again to all :)
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015