New Stove - Valor

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Polybus, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Polybus

Polybus Australia Subscriber

Given that I have decided not to make my first attempt at stove restoration with my Optimus - I have got myself a couple of new stoves - a Valor and a Monitor.

Here are some piccies of the Valor - the Monitor will follow.

I also have a Companion arriving soon - these things tend to multiply quite quickly don't they??

This is totally untouched since I received it - so its very grubby, and many of the markings are obscured - I will post further when I start to clean it up.

I think the only thing missing is the Flame Spreader.

Valor006.JPG Valor002.JPG Valor007.JPG Valor001.JPG Valor003.JPG Valor004.JPG Valor005.JPG

The stamp on the bottom is very unclear - "12-7" is the only thing I can make out at the moment.

Any comments would be received with interest - especially on Historical Value/Interest, Year etc.

2. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Flame spreaders are on roarer burners. You have a silent, and it's missing the outer burner cap. It's just terminology, but it makes it easier to discuss on a forum.

....Arch

3. Polybus

G'day Arch - thanks for the info.

I do agree that the correct terminology should be used - avoids confusion - however I realised I never knew what that part was called, so I looked it up. Check here....

https://www.tilleylampsandstoves.co...tove-brass-flame-spreader-and-brass-inner-cap

Not that I doubt you - perhaps this is another one of those British -v- American naming things.

Do the Brits call them Flame Spreaders and the Americans call them Outer Caps? (or are they just labelled incorrectly on the Web site I referrred to?)

Are the terms interchangeable?

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

No, I think it uncontroversial that the outer cap of a silent burner will be called just that, and won't be called a flame spreader. Which is not to say that it hasn't been called one from time to time, here and there.

And there is no American/Brit dichotomy-- most Yanks never heard of an 'outer cap' or even a Swedish/Brit-style silent keroburner until they wandered into some arcane quarter of knowledge, such as CCS.

A silent-burner brass kerosene stove was never distributed in the US widely enough for the burners to carry any cognomen or nomenclature distinct to this continent.

5. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Maybe just a Julian Shaw thing to call it a flame spreader. I think the usual name (in English) is "outer cap", as seen in documentation for Optimus and other makers.

I agree with Ed; I didn't know squat about silent burners until I started collecting Swedish stoves. I don't think I've ever seen them in US outdoor shops.

....Arch

6. Polybus

Good enough for me - Outer Cap it is!! :)

7. Radler Switzerland

Under all the dirt you will find a very good stove! Valor stoves are as good as the Swedish originals.

About dating:

The vertical tube (mixing tube) above the nipple (nipple! not jet!) has 4 holes. This is part of a Valor idea, patented 1946, to prevent underburn. But the inner cap should have some holes in the upper side according to the patent. The inner cap is not from Valor or is older than the burner.
    The late Valor stoves in the sixties had a (unnecessary) safety valve built into the filler cap. I would date the stove into the fifties.

Best Regards
    Radler

8. Polybus

G'day Radler - any chance of providing a link to that Patent info - I'd like to have a read.

9. Radler Switzerland

@Polybus
    It's here in the CCS.
    > The Stove Reference Library > Patents > Valor

Radler

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Polybus

You need to be a subscriber to see the content of the Reference Library.

Tony

11. Polybus

I've had a look at the Patent Document in > The Stove Reference Library > Patents > Valor

While my Valor Stove is missing the Outer Cap, the Inner Cap does in fact have the holes described in the patent and referred to by Radler above in this thread.

My Valor has the Four Holes at the top of the vertical tube above the Nipple mentioned by Radler and in the Valor Patent.

It also has holes around the side of the Inner Cap as described in the patent - I didn't realise these holes were important, or of any special interest, so I didn't show them in my photographs.

However - tomorrow morning I will get out the camera again and photograph the holes I am talking about.

Now that Radler has enlightened me, I have checked, and I note these holes do not appear in the Inner Cap of my other stoves.

Photos to follow.....

12. Polybus

As promised.......

@Radler are these the holes in the Inner Cap you were referring to?

Valor - Holes001.JPG Valor - Holes002.JPG Valor - Holes003.JPG Valor - Holes004.JPG

13. Radler Switzerland

@Polybus
    Yes, it's exact as shown in the drawing of the patent-paper. The holes make a short-cut between mixing tube and space between the inner and outer cap. If there is a fire between the caps (underburn) the exhaust-gases flowing back into the mixing tube are extinguishing the fire. If there is no underburn, a part of the air/gas mixture is just circulating without any effect. Simple and effective!
    I see "??OV PATENT" in your last picture. "PROV. PATENT" could mean, the burner was made in the forties, before the patenting process was finished. Maybe a British member can interpret this.

Best Regards
    Radler

14. Polybus

Yes I just had a good look at it - and it definitely does say "PROV. PATENT" - you can also get a better look at it in the photos near the start of this post.

You may be right about the stove being made in the 40s - ie: before the Patent was granted.

I am quite pleased with that :)

Based on your post I did a quick bit of research about Patents.

For those half interested - go here: Protect your Idea |16+ attorney years' experience | Lower costs

Then scroll down to the section Headed:

WHAT IS THE PATENT APPLICATION PROCESS?

If that can be believed - The Prov Patent is filed as the initial step in applying for a patent and sort of covers you while the formal application is being processed - a process that site says can take a number of years - up to 5 or 6 (at least it does these days - not sure about what it took back in 1949.

Anyway - we know the Patent was granted in 1949, and we know the Prov Patent is applied for (potentially) a good number of years before the patent is granted - that brings us to a possible date of about 1945ish.

I'm pretty pleased with that :) Thanks for picking that up @Radler

And perhaps @igh371 might have something to add - I note he has some excellent photos on these burner caps in the Patent Section.

BTW: As you know I'm quite new here - and new to Forums in general - you may notice I tend to waffle on in long (perhaps boring) posts - Please let me know if my posts are too long for you guys to bother reading - I am a bit of a OCD guy....

15. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    You are nowhere near the mark for waffling on!

Stay and enjoy the benefits of being struck down with stove pox (and the lantern variety, from what I gather).

It's a really good idea to become a subscriber.

Cheers

Tony