New to me Svea 123R

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Keith Rundquist, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Keith Rundquist

I just picked up a 123R missing the pot, but packed in the original box with a mini-pump and cap included. Aside from the pot, two issues are waiting to be fettled back at home: the main valve won't turn left or right. The cleaning needle is in place, the packing nut comes off, but the valve shaft won't turn. Does it just require extra oomph, penetrating oil, heat, or ? Second, when attached to the cap, the mini pump builds pressure, but the NRV in the cap doesn't allow pressure through. Is it just the pip is stuck and a gentle poke will free it up? There is an old spare parts kit with it, but i don't think there's a pip in it. Any suggestions welcome.

2. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

The previous owner may have overtightened the valve. So you could try a little extra oomph. Don’t overdo it though, as the gear on the spindle that raises the cleaning needle could be jammed. (Actually, I’ve never seen this happen.)

For the second issue, I bet the pip is stuck. You can try to free it by poking it with something like a bicycle spoke. It’s likely the pip will be hard, and may not seal properly after you free it.

Changing the pip is something you should research on this site before attempting. The caps were not meant to be user-serviceable, though many folks on this site have done so successfully. Parts and tools can be purchased at the Fettlebox, which is run by this site’s sponsor.

Best of luck! If you want more detailed advice, it’s best if you attach photos of what your question is about.

….Arch

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

I would first remove the nipple so you don't jam or break the pricker.
    Apply a little heat to the packing nut will help soften the graphite.
    Then as Arch said, apply a little oomph .

Good luck.

4. Keith Rundquist

It only took a little more oomph than the key could supply (adjustable wrench) and it freed right up. I took the jet out to make sure the needle was free. Did a freeze test to check the seals. Factory cap OK, packing good, mini-pump cap (yup came with a pump!) seems to have a bad NRV pip. What's the best resource for NRV pip? It's all rubber, not set in a brass holder like my other European stoves. Fired it up with the original cap and it ran well. I've noticed that my 8R runs nice and hot with the needle in place, my 99 has mixed results and runs better with it out. Is there a typical preference from a 123R?

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I suggest...
    Using it without the pump cap. Prime with alcohol or gas.
    Find a brass bucket and pips for the pump cap when you can.

I make my own pips, the best source for them.

6. Keith Rundquist

I don't expect to be climbing any mountains in the near future, so stock cap it is for now.