New Trangia Triangle

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Twodogs, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Twodogs

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. TrainManny

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the heads up on the new Trangia. I wonder if this will be a replacement for the windscreen/pot holder in the T28? It would leave alot of room in the T28 for a small bottle of fuel or pehaps a small plastic cup. I haven't seen any listed on US sites as of yet. Needless to say I want one! :D/

Cheers,

Manny

3. Twodogs

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. TrainManny

Hi All,

At 115 g (4.05650 oz) it's fairly light, but I believe it's heavier than the T28 windshield and the westwind. The question is how effective is it by comparison, and how much does it cost? :-k

Regardless, I really like this one.

Cheers,

Manny

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Maybe Clickstand are making them for Trangia? Clickstand sell the Trangia burner.

6. SNOWGOOSE

I will stick with the URSA Clickstand of which this Trangia Triangle is a copy. Also Trangia need to do is add a windshield as on the clickstand which works very well indeed.

You can see the Clickstand in use in these two posts of mine in the Action Gallery:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/15554

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/15925

The URSA clickstand performs similarly to a conventional Trangia – here are the results of some of my tests – outdoors as usual – and in a 5 mph wind:
    Water temperature 9C, ambient temperature 16.8C

Ursa Clickstand and windshield using a Trangia burner and Evernew 900 ml pot and 500 ml of water.

Boil times and fuel consumption:

6’13” 4’27” 3’59” fuel consumption 19.29 grams of meths/500ml water

REPEAT

6’29” 4’33” 4’22” fuel consumption 19.75 grams of meths/500ml water

Trangia 25, using Trangia kettle and 500 ml of water

6’25” 4’44” 4’30” fuel consumption 15.88 grams of meths/500ml water

REPEAT

6’57” 4’38” 4.40” ” fuel consumption 15.59 grams of meths/500ml water

The Trangia is marginally more efficient than the URSA Clickstand in my tests – however the Trangia is without doubt the best and most windproof alcohol stove on the planet. It is however heavy. The Clickstand performs nearly as well at a fraction of the weight.

Excluding the Trangia burner my Clickstand weighs 94 grams for the stand and 37 grams for the windshield.

The Trangia burner:67 grams, Lid 22 grams, simmer ring 24 grams

Cheers,

Rob

7. bolexguy

bolexguy Subscriber

looks to be a Clikstand copy without a windscreen

and I love my Clikstand

8. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

Unless this is a cooperation of some sort with the click-stand makers (Westwind?), it's a blatant theft of design in my opinion. I feel ashamed that Trangia should have to resort to this...

9. SNOWGOOSE

The cilckstand was designed by the company URSA.

Trangia are not so stupid to copy anyone's design when they have and still are the world leader in meths stoves.It is likely, as Ross has indicated, that it could be a joint venture particularly as URSA Designs use the Trangia as its main burner.

(The Evernew Ti burner in the Clickstand is nowhere as good - I know I have carried out side by side comparisons).

And in any event, unless the Trangia Triangle is re-designed it can not be anywhere as efficient unless it has the windscreen.

Another thing any meths stove to be ultra efficient has to be part of a system - that is why Trangia 25/27/multifuel is so good - the pots and pans, kettles and all are designed as part of a system.

That is why the Clickstand/Evernew 900 ml pan with windscreen is such a good design - the burner/stand/windscreen/pot are part of a system.

As I indicated above the current design of the "Triangle" is flawed as far as efficiency is concerned - anyone who has and uses a Clickstand can see that.

Rob

10. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

One of the things that makes the old Swedish Army Mess Kit stove work so well is that the stove AND the pot are enclosed and protected from the wind. I am reluctant to use a meths stove without some sort of windscreen that can protect the pot as well as the stove.

11. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Snowgoose's recommendation of the Clickstand has led me to order one. I note the comparison of boiling times and fuel use between a titanium pot on a Clickstand and a standard Trangia.

Some comparisons were done between using an aluminium and a titanium pot on a Trangia 27 back in 1998 (ultralight-hiking.com)and the results showed that water in the aluminium pot boiled 20% faster than water in the titanium pot. I guess this is due to the better thermal conductivity of aluminium, which is 10 times more than titanium or stainless steel and is why food burns faster in aluminium pots. Given this information, the Clickstand may prove to be more efficient than the Trangia. If I get time when the Clickstand arrives I may try the comparison.

12. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

If I have extra funds, I may get a Clikstand. The best price I have found is thru Clikstand themselves. I had a guy tell me he would sell his Sierra set to me, but his price was way higher than thru Clikstand themselves, unless his price included a pot. Clikstand prices I got were just for the aluminum Clickstand, aluminum windscreen and Trangia Spirit stove. $68 shipped I think. I went with the Caldera Cone over a month ago because that set up with a Ti pot was cheaper than the Clikstand set up without a pot.
    Duane

13. Laitch

Laitch Subscriber

Clikstands currently are either stainless steel or titanium, not aluminum.

14. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

clickstand is a stand and windshield combo. Its better for it not to be to conductive

15. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Laitch, you are correct, my error. Second error too, the guy who made me an offer, has the titanium Sierra set, which retails for over $126, he would sell to me shipped for $80. More than I want to spend at the moment though.

Duane

16. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

Geeves - what I was getting at is that Snowgoose compared a titanium pot on a Clickstand to an aluminium kettle / pot on a Trangia. As aluminium is more conductive then the Trangia was bound to win. If the same pots were used then the Clickstand may prove the winner.

17. M_Scout

Thanks for reporting on all those different aspects of the burners/stands. I think I'll be picking up a trangia with a clickstand set. Cheers

18. SNOWGOOSE

First,

My mucking about is always done outside. Never indoors. That would be utterly and totally pointless...you don't camp in your kitchen.

I use my Clickstand with both the Trangia Kettle and the 900ml Evernew Titanium pan.It works with both superbly.

There is, in my opinion, no point in the Trangia Triangle. What on earth is it useful for? The original Trangia 25&27 were and are the standard in meth backpacking/hiking stoves. No question, they are the best.

The advantage of the Clickstand is it that is very portable. It is tiny and fits inside my Evernew 900 ml pan, together with the Trangia burner(filled with meths), windshield, meths bottle & 100 ml of meths & fire steel.It also performs superbly in wind..

If bulk is not an issue and you have a Trangia 25/27 then stick with it.

If bulk is an issue then the clickstand WITH Trangia burner and the Clickstand windscreen is a superb substitute for the Trangia 25/27 providing all you want to do is boil water for brews and have one pot cooking.If you want a fry up in windy conditions then you'll need a Trangia 25/27 if you are going to use meths.

The Trangia Triangle is useless unless you are in a windless environment..for sure there are places on the planet where the wind hardly blows..but I hike and camp in a very windy environment and the Triangle is not for me.

So, Trangia Triangle...not worth wasting money on.

Cheers,

Rob

19. lamafat

could anyone tell me the distance between the pot support on the trangia triangle?

20. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

I've never heard of these before but found this info:

Weight 115 g

Each plate: 87 x 132 mm .

Ring in diameter: 100 mm

Diameter on mounted Triangle : 123 mm.