1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New "twist" on stuck NRV removal

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by hikerduane, May 16, 2018.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Tried many of my NRV tools to remove a very stuck NRV in a nickel AL-1947 Primus 96 I finally received yesterday. Thought in a photo it might be nickel A little kero down the pump tube and in the tank did not do much after a few hours, I'm impatient anyway. Worried I might crush the fount around the pump tube. I had been toying with placing the fount in the jaws of my vise, but it was just barely too small. I looked at the possibilities of a vise more and realized I could place the stove fount just beneath the jaws and would have plenty of room with one of my shorter tools to fit, with the fount wedged between the jaws. I placed some leather gloves around the fount to protect it and finally felt what I thought was that satisfying snap. Unfortunately, I now had a leak after trying two different NRV's. I was trying to avoid any solder work. Was the leak from the torque to the part that holds the NRV or did I push in the fount by the pump tube and loosen that area? Luckily, just heating up the area where the leak was sealed it up. I could not heat the area enough to get my solder to flow, but could see the factory solder getting shiny. I had peened the burner earlier as I had fired the stove yesterday but had the leak out the NRV, so thought I would fix the flame. Runs great.
    Duane

IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

The Stove Gods smiled on you Duane. Good for them. And you. Great result.

John

3. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Thank you John. Wish the '15 which works was as nice, that one needs a master to take apart and reassemble.
    Duane