Newark Gathering 7 - 9 June 2024 - Official Announcement

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Spiritburner, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

The 20th CCS/CPL Annual UK Gathering - Newark

7-9 June 2024*

You are welcome to join us for the annual gathering at Smeatons Lakes, Newark, Nottinghamshire.
    [​IMG]
    Collectors of stoves, pressure lamps & blowlamps are all welcome. Please bring along some of your collection for display! It is also a great opportunity for swaps & trading with other collectors!

Originally a weekend event, many people now arrive early. The field is booked from the Wednesday at our special rate. Please come along even if it's for the Saturday night.
    No need to book but if possible drop me a PT to let me know you're coming so I have a rough idea of numbers.

Cost is £8.50 (tbc**) per night per tent, caravan or campervan. Extra tents or gazebo's housing displays are free.

We look forward to seeing you there!

More info: DO NOT BOOK IN at reception. Please just pop in to reception & tell them you are attending the lamp & stove rally & they will likely point you in the right direction. I will collect the pitch fees during the event. They will also give you a key code for the barrier.

There is a height restriction barrier which is closed around 8pm, preventing high vans or caravans entering or leaving the site. If it is closed you will need to park up elsewhere until the following morning. It may be possible to come to some arrangement with the warden so if this is an issue give the site a ring. Normal vehicles are not affected.

The normal rate for the site is £24-26 per night for 2 people with a car. Our discount rally rate of £8.50 (tbc) per night per tent, caravan or campervan does not include use of the main toilet & shower block. We do have access to the basic mens & womens portakabin toilet close to the rally field which is just toilet & sink. Also the Anglers toilet as in previous years. If you wish to use the showers in the main block by reception there is a fee to pay (£1 I think). The shower block uses a numerical key entry system. In the past some people have paid their fee & passed the number around. This has upset the site manager & as a result you may find they open the door for you rather than giving you the code. If we are trusted again this year please respect the system & pay the fee otherwise it may be difficult to secure the venue or goodwill in future years.

We are also asked to keep dogs on leads & not allow them to foul the rally field - obviously accidents do happen in which case you are respectfully asked to clean up after your dog. The site provide a dog walk area.

Please bring a bin bag or two & dispose of your rubbish in the skips provided or take it home. There are no recycling facilities on the site I'm aware of.

There is fishing available on site but it needs to be booked in advance.

There are no hookups on the rally field.

No ball games on field.

TRADERS - For Trade application please contact me by private conversation or txt me your email address & message to send forms to zero7766 zero38612

*Despite booking for next year a whole year in advance our normal weekend had already been booked by a large rally & left no room for us. For 2024 only we are a week later than normal. I have agreed a rolling booking with the site for 2025 onward for the usual first weekend after the 2nd May bank holiday. 2025 dates are 31 May to 2 June.

**The nightly rate for 2023 was £8.50. Hopefully this will hold for 2024 but may be subject to a small increase.​

[​IMG]

newark2.jpg

2. IRM

IRM Subscriber

I intend to be there, arriving midday on Friday (or perhaps Thursday evening).

I will be driving up from north Hampshire and have no particular route in mind. I’m happy to offer a lift to anybody who might be along the way. I’ll be passing Heathrow airport if anybody is thinking of flying in.

-R

3. Mesquite

Mesquite Ukraine Subscriber

I'll be there from the Wednesday and my mate from the Friday.

I'm really looking forward to it as I've not had any camping trips since last years meet.

4. Pattree

Pattree United Kingdom Subscriber

I’ll be there late Thursday or Midday Friday - still not sure.

Is the fee the same as last year? I’m not worried about the amount, I just don’t do cash much these days
    If it’s the same as last year two nights or three will involve carrying iron.

Looking forward to being there.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom PotY Winner SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I hope to be there on Wednesday. This year I may get to the Museum of Timekeeping a short drive away but open only once a week, on Friday. Home to the British Horological Society and an outstanding collection of timepieces including the pocket alarm watch of Scott of the Antarctic, among the personal effects recovered when he and his companions were found.

94A0B65A-D8E7-4E19-B8AF-1EA0ECF87FBF.jpeg

John

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I hope so.

See you all soon!

7. Blackdog

Blackdog United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Anybody heading there with a spare seat from East Anglia direction?

8. Del Allen

Del Allen United Kingdom Subscriber

I will be there camping from Friday afternoon, returning home early on Sunday morning.

9. Driftwood United Kingdom

@Blackdog - nearest large town? what county ?

10. Blackdog

Blackdog United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Driftwood Suffolk/Norfolk border, nearest town of any size Diss I suppose. Right out on a limb! If I had somewhere to leave the car I could drive west a bit- but just can't justify driving all the way to Newark at the moment, and can't find anything large I need in that direction to make use of the journey!

11. Driftwood United Kingdom

@Blackdog if I go I will be going up the A1, but by the time you could get to say - Peterborough, you would be half way to Newark anyway.

12. Tim Read

Tim Read United Kingdom Subscriber

Sorry but I won't be able to make it this year, even for a flying visit like last year, wrong dates for me. Hope you all have a good time and a good light up:thumbup::thumbup:8]

13. skeeves

Lovely night on the Newark site
    20240604_215246.jpg

14. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Very jealous, unfortunately I cannot attend this year. I was up for it but circumstances have combined to make it difficult!
    Last year was great!
    Have fun and post a few pictures for the rest of us.

15. presscall

presscall United Kingdom PotY Winner SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Got here at lunch time (Wednesday). A token gesture of a display as yet!

D9B096E8-EDF0-4473-BCEA-772AD4C7060A.jpeg

John

16. Tim Read

Tim Read United Kingdom Subscriber

Looks fairly close to where you were last year, John.:thumbup:

17. Fieldelectric United Kingdom

Is it possible to access the site by Public Transport. I have not been before so I only want to travel up on Saturday. I don’t particularly want to drive there and back. Also save the world.

18. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Hope a great time is had by all. We had hoped to make a second Newark visit in 2020, but the arrangements were mooted by the arrival of the pandemic.

We had a terrific time at the 2007 gathering.

Doubt we'll make it again, alas. While we're still traveling, at 76 I'm not going to drive in the UK again. I have 8 weeks total over 4 trips driving there, without problems, but comes a time when I no longer want to test my reflexes on the left side of the road...

19. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

@Fieldelectric
    Possible yes, either by train or by bus.
    Romford is about 2.5 hrs by train. Google it. The site is a little way North of Newark, a good and flat walk up the Gt North Road or there is a bus service passing the gate.

20. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

We were seriously considering a trip there. Mooted also.