Newark Gathering, Smeaton's Lakes 2008

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Henry, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Henry

First I would like to thank all that attended for your wonderful company. It was really special to meet both old friends and new. Best of all was meeting my long lost twin brother, we were separated at birth but it was organised for him to turn up at the gathering. I don't have a photo but lots were taken, I'm sure they will be posted later on.

I arrived on Thursday, after a 3 hour drive, just around lunch time to be greeted by an already half crowded field.

My good friend Colin couldn't make it until some time Friday due to teaching commitments so that evening I dined alone on a stew of sorts made from vegetables with venison cabanos, washed down by a very pleasing Cotes du Rhone. Cooked on my faithful Tilleymus No.2
    P5290423.jpg

P5290424.jpg

The late evening and well into the night was spent under Nigel's gazebo watching kettles boil, It started to rain early evening and really chucked it down all night.

Bit of overkill using Kevin's 4 burner Optimus I felt.
    P5290426.jpg

The assembled kettle watchers.
    P5290427.jpg

Friday morning I awoke to a grey sky but the day perked up mid morning to stunning sunshine all day. As we all sat Smeaton watching

A view of Smeaton's arches in the morning gloom.
    P5300428.jpg

I phoned Colin to see what time he was arriving and he told me he had come down with the dreaded 'Bombay Trots' So a lone stir fry chicken and vegetables washed down with a couple of cheese eating surrender monkey's beers, cooked again on the faithful Tilleymus No.2
    P5300430.jpg

P5300431.jpg

P5300432.jpg

The evening was spent again in good company well into the early hours.

Inside my gazebo
    P5300433.jpg

Trevor and Paul
    P5300436.jpg

Saturday proved to be another stunning day and a 'fairly' late breakfast was cooked on my newly fettled Primus 523.
    P5310437.jpg

Breakfast was a 'Full English' with piping hot coffee.
    P5310438.jpg

P5310439.jpg

It was at this stage that my long lost twin brother made his entrance. Some pictures will follow from other happy campers I'm sure.

Trevor and I spent a good deal of Friday sat in my gazebo getting it ready in between the odd beer or two.

Due to the late hour that we retired to our beds and the late breakfast, Paul and I shared a wonderfully leisurely alfresco lunch again washed down with a bottle of Cotes du Rhone.
    P5310441.jpg

During the afternoon we were joined by others who came to 'graze' on the lovely ripe Camembert, Dolcelatte and the ciabatta donated by Ian.

David dropped by to set light to a stove as only he can.
    P5310443.jpg

I started messing with my Borde Bomb because I was disappointed with it's performance. It'll be fine when you put a pan on top says Ian and he was right.
    P5310444.jpg

P5310447.jpg

The hour of World record Breaking loomed and we all gathered in arch No.2 of Smeaton's viaduct.
    P5310448.jpg

P5310449.jpg

P5310452.jpg

It's at this point I'd like to announce that CCS broke the record set by the Swedes last year.
    A stunning 48 111 type burners in a line.

Video evidence
    th_worldrecord1.jpg

th_worldrecord2.jpg

A wonderful effort by all concerned. They came in ones, twos and sixes, everyone joined in. The noise underneath the arch was quite something.

Bring it on Sweden

As it was Colin's idea in the first place it was decided to create a trophy to be passed between whoever wants to have a go at our record.
    It'll be called 'The Colin Parfree Memorial 111 Trophy' We all know he's not dead yet but he's not getting any younger and after this weekend's dose of the BTs it surely can't be much longer.

Saturday evening was again spent in good company, but it all got a bit much for young Paul. No staying power these youngsters.
    P5310456.jpg

We awoke on Sunday to yet more rain, of course the tent and gazebo were soaking, I've just finished drying it at home and packing it all away. Time for a proper home cooked Sunday roast and a few bevvies.

Once again my thanks go out to all those who attended for your wonderful company.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  2. rik_uk3

Great pictures Henry, but frankfurters with a full English?

How many attended, more pictures please :)

3. Henry

A Brummie pretenting to be a Welshman ;)

They're left over cabanos, and very nice they were too, didn't want to open a full pack of bangers for one.

4. rik_uk3

tight arse ;)

5. the priest

Great show Henry. It's very interesting to see how you all eat, drink and get together.

Looks like fun.

6. Bart J. Meijer

Lads,

I arrived home 2 hours ago after only 13 hours of travelling.
    It was worth all the back pains, and the travelling.
    To speak with Henry Pugh: Jolly good show lads, jolly good show!

7. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST :D :D :D
    nice to see you hung onto the boots Henry ;)
    i can't wait for the next run of photos---are the 111 burn shots going to YouTube??

8. Prime Us

That looks like a lot of fun, not bad for a tiny island. With all that food, how do you all stay so slim? Is the 3rd stove back, just past the 22, a brass-cased 111 or brass-plated or an Asian clone?

Thanks,
    Gary

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Gary

The 111 in question had its case painted gold. No clones were used.

10. Willonthewall

For my sins it's mine :oops:
    IMG_1449.jpg

As you've probably guessed I have a thing for heatproof gold :roll:
    IMG_1445.jpg

Is NOTHING sacred ;)
    IMG_3173.jpg

NOPE :shock:
    IMG_0235.jpg

I'd rather live with looks over originality if the original is in deplorable state - after all I use them as opposed to keeping them for display so I might as well use something that looks the biz ;)

11. Prime Us

Hi Bill,
    That gold paint looks good. I also don't care about originality on stoves that were painted by the factory; if it becomes important to some future owner, or if I change my mind, it can always be repainted. I've got a 111B that looks bad and I'm deciding what color to use.

L8R,
    Gary

12. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Great show, guys!
    Debbie and I were there in spirit. We can't believe it's been a year....

It was dry and a bit sunny here, though. 8)

13. spudz

Great stuff Henry, .. canvas, flame, food & wine ... oh, and some sunshine too, all adds up to a wonderful weekend!

Keep 'em coming chaps.

14. TrainManny

Hey Gary,

Red makes them run hotter ;) !

Cheers,

Manny

15. TrainManny

Hey Fellow Stovies,

Congratulations to all on a great event. Great stoves, great food and great friends, what more can you ask for! :D

The gauntlet has once again been thrown. Who will meet the challenge?

All the best,

Manny

16. paul

Once again, fine company and a fine gathering. The year has flown, and folk pretty much picked up where they left off. Here's a selection of pictures...

Kev dices with death in order to rescue his daughter, Lucy's, ball. Bridegewater Property Maintenance is available for all your Property Maintenance needs :roll:
    DSCN1634Medium.jpg

Shiny happy people wherever you look - Henry, Kev and Trevor
    DSCN1637Medium.jpg

Malcolm, Ian, Gary and Mr S.
    DSCN1643Medium.jpg

Evening shenanigans. David, Trev's profile, Malcolm, Kev, H, and Nick
    DSCN1635Medium.jpg

Nice to meet Arjan (right)
    DSCN1644Medium.jpg

DSCN1645Medium.jpg

Nigel's impressive display
    DSCN1641Medium.jpg

A few pics taken from Smeaton's Arches...

Pete with my 'lamp of the weekend' (Tilley SL1). A delight.
    DSCN1658Medium-1.jpg

DSCN1651Medium.jpg

DSCN1652Medium.jpg

DSCN1655Medium.jpg

DSCN1657Medium.jpg

DSCN1659Medium.jpg

DSCN1650Medium.jpg

The birth of a new record...
    DSCN1660Medium.jpg

DSCN1662Medium.jpg

Thanks to eveyone who attended. You make it work.

Cheers

17. Henry

Cracking pics Paul :D

But where's the shots of my long lost twin brother.

18. paul

Wouldn't you believe it - I didn't have my camera to hand when he turned up. Anyone else?

19. redspeedster

redspeedster Subscriber

Hi

My first visit to Newark couldn't have been better, I've met most of the Northern lads before but I was lucky enough to put many more faces to names.

newark8.jpg
    Early evening atmosphere.

newark7.jpg
    Henry's brother. :lol:

newark6.jpg
    Guess which tent David had to himself and which one was the wifes and mine. :lol:

newark5.jpg
    Nick's new cotton tarp.

newark4.jpg
    Fettling in the sun.

newark3.jpg

newark2.jpg
    More record attempt shots.

Tracey and I would like to thank everyone who was at the event for making us feel so welcome.

20. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

First of all; Congratulations! You all seemed to have a great time. - As usual! And the weather seemed fair enough.

But second; I think that this world record must be declared invalid all in all! This stove is clearly not burning, or if it by chance happens to be; that flame can't be considered adequate enough to count in:
    what.jpg
    :? ;) :lol:

I'm kidding, of course. :lol: I think we can be generous enough to let that little attempt pass. Or maybe we should agree the WR to be 47 burners instead of 48?... ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015