Newbie and my Primus No. 77 retro stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Moho, Oct 3, 2016.

?

Should I restore this to original or give it some upgrades?

1. original

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. upgrades

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Moho

Just acquired a beautiful Primus no77 classic stove. I want to restore it. Is there anyone here who has done that? I need some advice and direction, I have never done this before. I have not tried to light it yet, but everything seems to work. The seals are dry looking, but it did store some pressure dry. Some barbarian hacked a hole in the side. I work in a sheet metal shop so that will be easy to conceal with a lovely laser cut stainless steel cover and a couple of pop rivets. I may even go so far as to replace the wind blocks with stainless steel to give it some bling? Thoughts?

IMG_20161003_180233_795.jpg IMG_20161003_180245_405.jpg IMG_20161003_180315_181.jpg IMG_20161003_180445_758.jpg IMG_20161003_180656_895.jpg

2. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

I would just clean it and give it a light polish to arrest case corrosion... :content:

Alec.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That is a mighty fine stove. I would restore it as is - no bling.

If you want bling, buy a new Coleman from eBay and go to town...

Cheers

Tony

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @Moho, Welcome and what an excellent find. :)
    Sounds like it needs new seals, a good clean and yes fix the hole.Then restore to original.
    After cleaning if it didn't look good (to me) I would probably strip the case and respray. :-k
    Have you looked at the other 77's in the reference gallery? It might help. https://classiccampstoves.com/forums/primus-no-77.172/

Good luck

5. Normo

Normo Subscriber

I wouldnt "bling it" either, just clean it up , get it working and enjoy.

However, if you do bling it, i would be interested in buying the original wind blocks, if you want to sell them. I have a Mod.77 that is missing both wind guards and the pressed steel trivet. If anyone else has these lying around, please let me know.

Norm

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hello Moho and Welcome to the site,
    Your survey asks original or upgrades, I will definitely suggest please keep it as original as possible.
    I would be supportive of anyone adding anything they want if, big IF, if it can be returned to 100% original condition (as an option later). Moreso for yours as it seems to be quite rare so congrats on the score.
    Me talking, you now have 2 nice posts THIS ONE imo is place for Q&A, comments, discussion, etc. and whatever's on your mind. The other is located in the reference section, a category to post examples of stove models.

edit NORMO !! congrats on yours as well (I see after I posted this), cool.

SO, my comment, NICE stove !!! pics are not as nice (i'm not nice for saying so, sorry).
    I will say with certainty many members will like to see better images if that might be accomplished in future.
    For me, I can tell you, I found an example in 52 Primus catalog , the catalog illustration is bad too (see, you needn't feel bad about your pics :content:).
    Because I have only just checked it out for 1st time and catalog isn't the greatest (better / more info should flow-in, it usually does)
    I'm guessing you have 2 circa 1952 4 tube Primus silent burners. I would think originally it was a pair? of silents (the type/number unknown to me). They are regulated but I do not know how that is accomplished (regulated burners or valve or what?).
    May be missing parts? Appears two valves are at different heights in catalog and 2 burner may be at different heights in your image but hard to make out in either case. .
    Job 1 imo is diagnose what's needed re repair (to get the flame) in so doing you figure out how it works.
    A very interesting collectible stove and it will be nice to see more posts.
    thx omc

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. Normo

Normo Subscriber

I've just had a quick look at the Reference Gallery, I believe yours is the original, mine is a later variant with the slotted burners.

Not sure if it is still up, but there used to be a YouTube clip by BernieDawg on lighting one of these.

Norm

8. Moho

WOW thanks for all the advice. I am opting for the original restore. I was speaking to a welder mate and he can tig the hole up and it will not even be noticed, but that means a respray. I am happy to do that anyway , I would love to see this stove in its original splendor. I am pretty certain I can get the fuel tank gleaming with the polisher at work. If I can work it out I may try and copy the wings just for my own satisfaction.I will make a better effort with pics , sorry for that I was a little excited.

First thing is to try and get it lite. I will set up my camera and tripod before I begin to make sure I have better photos. While I am at it I will re shoot my original pics and repost. Sorry about the misplaced posts, I was excited and just wanted to let the world know.

9. Tony Press

Welcome, @Moho

Don't hesitate to ask question. There are plenty of members willing to give good advice.

Depending on where you are, there might even be an Aussie nearby.

Cheers

Tony

10. Moho

Thanks again. I have a ton of question really. I want to begin the restoration , but I am unsure where to source the parts? I am thinking i can make most of the seals myself. What does anyone recommend for a good material?

11. Tony Press

@Moho

Yes, you can make your own seals etc, but, honestly, buying all the bits and pieces you need will set you back more than buying pre-made ones from a professional like The Fettle Box. You could send @The Fettlebox a message wth the model stove and get a quote...

Cheers

Tony

12. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hi,

What I great find. Thanks for sharing.

As for the hole you can repair it or just clean up the rough edges.
    If you want to restore the stove that is up to you, but if it were me I'd just give it a good cleaning.
    Ross at FettleBox makes very good relacement gaskets and washer.
    A little closer to you is Kerry @kerry460 he also makes replacement seals for stoves and lanterns. Give Kerry a shout because he will most likely be able to help.
    If you run into a problem you're not sure how to proceed contact Tony @Tony Press because he will be able to help. Every nation has it's master fettler and Tony is the master fettler for Austraila and I'm sure there are others, but Tony post more stove repairs or at least he can give some very good advise.

Cheers,
    Norman

13. Moho

That maybe but I like to collect tools as well and I Love doing my own repairs. I would be interested in learning what is required to make these parts. I work in engineering and have access to a wealth of equipment and knowledge.

14. Moho

Thank guys your advice and insight is very appreciated. I will hold off for now on any work . I realise I have a lot to learn yet . At least I am in the right place. I will try and get it lite this weekend . I will keep you posted.

15. Tony Press

@Moho

1. For making fuel cap and NRV seals you'll need Viton. You can buy in sheets. Buy 2mm thickness. Model your seals on the ones you are replacing.

2. For the burner you will need fibre gasket material which is fuel and heatproof. 1 to 1.5mm thickness.

3. You should use Shellite (=Coleman fuel) in this stove. Don't use ULP - it will block your burners and cause all kind of trouble.

4. As this stove appears to be have not been used for a while, you need to check that there are no fuel leaks. A gasoline (Coleman fuel) stove can be a very dangerous beast if you have hardened seals and a leaky pump. To test, clean the tank with kero, rinse it out , turn all the controls to the burner off, put more kero in the tank and pump the tank hard to see whether the NRV is working as it should.

If it is, empty the tank and put Shellite in.

5. If it's not, then I would do the full fettle and replace all seals and gaskets.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt to light an old gasoline stove without a full fettle, anyway.

I'm happy to chat on the phone. If you want to, send me a message.

It's a great stove and I'd love to see it going again.

@teckguy_58

Thanks for the compliment, but there are many here whose skills far exceed mine. I suppose I just like to get stuck in and see if I can get these charming beasts working properly... And I'm happy to share what I've learned along the way.

Cheers

Tony

16. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Moho
    If you have trouble getting the necessary material to make the seals localy there is an Australian supplier hytec_1 that sells small sheets on eBay.

17. NW Lady

Congrats on your adventure. I can't offer any help but must say that I am a newbie and the folks here have been so much help to me. :)

18. Moho

Tony you are a god send and I love your enthusiasm and humility. I would love to chat with you. Your advice is perfect, I am a practical man and I like to think deliberate, there are plenty who will argue hehe. My initial assessment of the stove resulted in the same conclusions. I will test the tank and I am certain I will be replacing all the seals. The stove needs a really decent cleaning and I would love to repaint it after I repair the whole in the side. I will give it a good clean and take better photos on the weekend. I first need a container to store all the parts in when i start to take it apart . I am excited to have begun.

19. Tony Press

@Moho

Now that you've started to fettle this beast, here are a couple of good threads.

The first is Matt's (@Matthew92) earlier version of the Primus 77, but an example of how to fettle some bits of it:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1937-primus-77.27153/

and the second is operating instructions (for an earlier model, but relevant none-the-less). You need to be a subscribing member to access the Reference Gallery.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-no-77-1939.577/

Cheers

Tony

20. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

No need for subscription unless you wish to look at the catalogs. Instructions and gallery are available to members and/or guests.