Newbie help with No.12 cooker

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by spud13, Feb 10, 2016.

1. spud13

Hi all, and apologies if these questions have been asked before....

being new to classic stoves I am totally wet behind the ears when it come to knowing what's what, so hoping for some advice, hint and tips.

I recently acquired a no.12 stove and dawg silent burner, I have initially done a test run using paraffin and meths as the primer, but not knowing much about these stoves I can't help but wonder if it is running as it should I.e efficient.. or if there is anything I can do to enhance its performance or at least service it to ensure it has a long and happy life.

Ultimately this stove is going to be my main cooker that will be added to my overland landrover and the idea of running pit on the same fuel as the car is ideal (plenty of fuel in Jerry cans on the roof). But as mentioned above I want to ensure it doesn't fail on me or I at least know how to repair or replace parts to keep it running whilst on the road. As I am also confuse as to what spares from optimus cookers are interchangeable as it seems optimus spare are easy to come by than original parts and having spare at hand when needed would also be an advantage when overlanding with my landrover.

All and any advice is welcome.
    M

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

Firstly, welcome to CCS.

You've certainly hit the ground running with the great combination of a No.12 and a Top Dawg silent burner converter cap for it. Top performers, both.

You asked,
    You've not said if your Landrover is petrol or diesel fuelled. If petrol, the additives in it will degrade the burner. It isn't a wise choice for the stove because of that but also because it's a volatile fuel that becomes a safety hazard in a stove such as the No.12 with a non-return valve (at the end of the pump tube) that could fail and dump fuel into the pump tube with the stove in use, the vapour igniting on the burner. You'd have to be fastdious on not releasing tank pressure using the air screw with the stove lit.

I've not used diesel in mine - just paraffin - but CCS member @Kl80 swears by the stuff in his.

image.jpg

Optimus jet, jet pricker, spindle and graphite packing (spindle seal) are compatible. Non-return valve too if I remember rightly.

John

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. spud13

Thanks for the response, my landrover is diesel hence this choice of stove, my main aim is to use it with paraffin, as many suggest this is cleaner and less smelly, but as I mentioned carrying diesel in Jerry cans make a great backup fuel. Same goes for carrying spares... when you own a landrover spares for repair becoming a way of life......
    is there any particular part numbers and suppliers of the parts listed above?
    P.s I have also added a set of number 2 pans to this kit (think that's the right description big pan an frying pan from th army also)

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

Spares list from supplier Base Camp.

Diagram for an Optimus 111 for jet, pricker, spindle, graphite seal.

image.jpg

5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Mine runs happily on diesel, but I use heating oil (kerosene) as it's cheaper.

There was a rumour some time ago that the manufacturer - TOC Ltd (Tools of Coventry), were going to start selling spares to the public, but I've not heard any more about it. It may be worth sending them an email.

Check regularly on Ebay as incomplete stoves, which can be stripped for spares, sometimes sell cheap. I picked one up that was missing it's funnel and pan rest for £20.

Terry

6. spud13

I did mailed TOC but they only wanted to sell me a full new burner at £115 that more than I paid for the stove and not the individual small components potentially needed. So my options to service the stove and retain a set of spares was scuppered. Hence I am reaching out to the after market. Also if I do manage to get hold of parts can any one point me in the right direction of the steps to strip, clean and rebuild. I can see the stove is fairly simple but wouldn't want to damage through my lack of skills / experience

7. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

The main servicing issue on these stoves is that the hex nut on the pump tube is quite thin and therefore hard to grip.

Just checked on Ebay - the last incomplete No12 sold for £17. It was only missing the jet and spanner!

Terry

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  9. kerophile

10. spud13

Thanks for all the pointers and links, I'll be reading these whilst I am here in Norway for the week, but I can already say that I am eager to get back and get cracking with sprucing up my no.12
    I'll also be placing an order for the spares as mentioned above, so I should be set for all eventualities.
    Thanks all,I'll keep you posted on the progress
    M

11. spud13

Part 1 of the strip and clean up. All came apart easily thanks to the pointers provided, pump was a pain but with a little heat and decent socket it finally came out. All degreased and cleaned. Now just awaiting a new seal and all will be back as new I hope. I will post pics while stripped in case if any use.
    Part 2 will be the refit. To come shortly

12. spud13

Pics of clean burner ready for rebuild WP_20160222_16_47_02_Pro.jpg

13. spud13

14. spud13

15. spud13

16. spud13

17. spud13

Thanks for all the pointers, as you can see from the pictures, the stove is cleaned, refurbished, rebuilt and running like a dream. Can't wait for it to compliment the rest of my overland equipment.

WP_20160223_17_17_37_Pro.jpg

18. spud13

19. kerophile

Hi, you stove is looking good. Great flame pattern.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

20. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Very nice! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: