Newbie ... help ?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by COLIN LANDY, Dec 6, 2021.

1. COLIN LANDY United Kingdom

I am new to collecting Old Stoves, so please bare with me.
    I have 2 Brithish made Monitors one is the tin boxed fold away Tourer model & the other is in it's own pot suport/ burner tin box and has NO support legs.
    I would like to find an original / re-manufactured spanner for each, does anyone know where I can find a couple ??
    One is in need of restoring, seals ect, perhaps a new lipstick jet ... & I was wondering if the Primus No:96 repair kit fits the Monitor, as they look almost identical ?
    I also have a ' The Lamb ' Petrol Stove as well, which is in need of a new jet & a filler cap seal, any ideas where I can find these ??
    Any help or advice will be appreciated.
    Thankyou.
    Colin.

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I suggest you try the Fettle Box which you can find here. They're based in England and probably have the parts you need for your British stoves. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for contact them here. I'm sure they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Ben

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

4. kerophile

5. kerophile

6. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @COLIN LANDY
    Whilst many of the stoves were cloned/copied from each other and therefore had some level of parts interchangeability, you will find that the Monitor Tourist 17B does not follow that trend. It is a small stove with a large diameter pump, so the pump leather (a regular essential in a spares kit) is bigger than those in the Primus/Optimus 96's. You will also find that the thread on the lipstick burner is different. There may be a number of other differences too, I am no expert. Fettlebox is well experienced with these changes and would be able to supply the correct seals and washers as a kit for your stove.
    I presume the other stove is basically the same without the leg sockets but with an aluminium tin where the lid comes off and the front drops down. That was the Monitor Hi Speed Stove. Same differences apply.
    Regards
    Dean

7. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Oh, and I just checked my Monitor for the size of the nut. I have a 3/4" AF in the box, which is a snug fit. I tried it on an Optimus and it rattled slightly, so the Optimus/Primus offering must be the slightly smaller 19mm. Don't expect one of those to fit without a little filing of the jaws.
    There will no doubt be pictures of kits with spanners in the stove reference gallery, but if you want function over form, a 3/4" AF open end, cut down from a combination spanner will fit the box and the nut.
    Dean