Newbie ~ Optimus 111 question.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by 69T100C, Jan 28, 2021.

1. 69T100C United Kingdom

I've spent an enjoyable 2 - 3 hours going around and about on this Club's Forums looking for the following . It's there, I just haven't found it !
    The Optimus on the left came to me with the flanged two hole tube and the smaller orifice jet fitted ~ the tank stinks of petrol. In a small plastic bag came the shorter three hole tube with the slightly larger orifice'd jet. I'm not sure if that is correct or what set up is for what fuel(s) ?
    I'm reading that Auto' unleaded petrol should not be used in these stoves ?
    The Primus kero' 111 on the right came to me in that condition years ago, and has had a fair amount of reliable use since.
    The Optimus from the 80's ?? , Primus ?
    Many thanks for your feedback.
    Chris

IMG_4278.JPG IMG_4279.JPG

2. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

3. 69T100C United Kingdom

Thank you for feedback.
    Unfortunately as useful as the links are, they mention Part Numbers without pictures or descriptions.
    My parts ~ shown below arrived without Part Numbers.
    I really need to know which air restrictors to use with which fuel(s) and the same with the different size jets.

Thanks.
    IMG_4282.JPG

4. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

It’s definitely there.

The first link contains a thread and the 2nd post in that thread has link to another post, which exactly states a description of the physical features of each type of restrictor (number of holes) and the type #.

The second link refers to the manual.
    The manual shows exploded views with the parts and the part number, also for the restrictors and jets/nipples and for which fuel type these are to be used.

The text in the manual also refers to which type of jet is used for which fuel type and which restrictor must be used with which jet/nipple.

That’s correct, these parts do not have a part number or designation.

From the manual you can derive the part numbers, in this case the only reference to the jet/nipple type.
    Guaranteed somewhere on this forum the diameter of the orifice for each jet type is posted. No doubt using the search function on the part # will reveal that specific information.

5. Blueflame111

Blueflame111 United States Subscriber

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @69T100C one of the questions you asked was about the Primus branded No.111. I reckon this particular stove likely dates from the early 1960s.
    Have a look at this thread, and my comments on the Primus branding:

Primus 111

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. Lennart F Sweden

General rule for 111T is small jet and no air restrictor for petroleum fuels as kerosene, white gas etcetera.
    Alcohol fuels may be burned with small jet and the small hole restrictor but this reduce power a lot.
    Full power with alcohol require large jet and large hole restrictor.
    There have been some jets optimized for a specific fuel but they still apply to the general rule.

8. 69T100C United Kingdom

Many thanks one and all !

Filled the 'tank with fresh Kerosene, removed the flanged two hole restrictor that it came to me, in situ.
    Pre-heat and ignition ~ WOW !! after 55 years of being use'd to the roar of a traditional Primus and latterly my Primus 111, what a difference.
    I think ~ the previous owner tried it on automobile petrol (gasoline) judging by the smell of the 'tank with the restrictor in place, didn't get on with it and put it on eBay 10 years ago ~where I bought it.
    I've been reluctant to try it, but thanks to this Forum ~ it's back alive again !
    I was thinking of selling it ~ but not now.
    Best regards,
    Chris
    First light 30 1 21.JPG

9. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

Nice blue flames!

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber