Newbie saying hello

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Brassmonkey, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Hi all and Hello from the West Country, England ....

By chance I purchased a very tired and grimy looking camp stove yesterday (Wednesday 21st August). It was in a home made storage tin that had seen better days!

Having parted with a fiver (£5) fpr it at an Antiques/bric-a-brac shop in Chepstow, Wales I headed home with my tin of rust and brass!!

That is how I came across this fantastic web site and members as I tried to identify my prize and how to best get it working and/or restore it.

I am not sure which way to go yet - full restoration with strip down, buff, shine, lacquer etc, or leave as it is (subject to a little work to improve its appearance and working capability!

Here is a picture 'as found'
    IMG_4100.JPG

I did have the sense to read several tips and advice sections in this forum before attempting to identify and try to start her burning.

I believe in the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it! So I gave it a quick once over and could discern the triangle and abbreviation for Samuel Heath and Sons. Thanks to this forum I was then able to deduce the 4 & 63 to mean the month and year of manufacture.

I am not sure if it is a Thermidor or other model as the decals have long since gone.

I sprayed some Carb Cleaner around the burner and nozzle. Wiped this away along with crud and proceeded to try the pressure pump.

It did not work at first but after removing the knob and shaft and applying a liberal amount of oil I suddenly felt the NRV free up.

Paraffin was added to the bowl and Methylated spirit to the burner cup.

To my surprise she started burning!!!

The paraffin was over twenty years old and had been at the back of my garage for some time having been saved (for what purpose I do not know) from an old ladies garage some years before.

I have started her up three times today and love it! The fuel when filled to two thirds of the reservoir bowl capacity lasted over 90 minutes at high burn! Incredible!!

The flame spreader is from Primus model. I guess the original went missing years ago.

I have included a photo of her burning (very old paraffin)

IMG_4123.JPG
    All in all I am very pleased with my find and very impressed with the models owned by others on this forum.

I look forward to taking her out and using her as intended!

Would love any thoughts, feed back, constructive criticism,

Cheers and regards,

Brassmonkey.

2. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Hi @Brassmonkey, welcome.

It looks like you've discovered how good these old stoves actually work after a little bit of tlc. The old British stoves are a little difficult to pin down without either their original stuck on decals or other obvious markings we were good at that.

Nice to see someone else here from the SW, not many of us.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  4. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Hi Simes,

Nice to hear from you.

I live north of Bristol and so plan to take my stove up to the Brecon Beacons over the Bank Holiday weekend. Will take some photos if I do.

Great now the Severn Bridges are free eh!!!!!!

Cheers,

Brassmonkey

5. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Hi Tony from Down under!

I just looked up Stink Pot Bay on Google. What a fantastic place to live! All those inlets and coastline!

Really impressed with the landscape.

Would love to visit that part of the world one day.

Very intrigued by Pipe clay Lagoon and the Neck Lookout.

So many nature reserves and conservation areas to get away from it all!

I'll bring my stove and live off the land!!!!

Cheers

Brassmonkey.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, @Brassmonkey . Welcome to CCS. SH&S made good stoves.
    You have a complete outfit there and you are good to go.

The Primus outer cap is just fine, they made the best.

The circular soot deposit on top of the burner cap is likely due to old, stale fuel and a over-rich fuel to air mixture. It would be good idea to get some fresh paraffin or Kerosene domestic boiler fuel and flush out the old stuff.

Good Luck with your stove.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS @Brassmonkey. Reading up on the project topic is always best as you’ve found. Adds to the interest value too.

The ‘black spot’ in the centre of the cap suggests rich running or possibly some flaring due to too short a prime.

I see Kerophile posted while I was typing, so similar thoughts.

The flame’s on or around what I’d class as a simmer and if that’s the maximum possible output there’s likely to be an air leak at the fuel cap seal or, worst scenario, an air leak at the solder joint between fuel tank and filler riser tube.

John

8. kerophile

9. kerophile

10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Welcome. They do have a magical character don't they!

11. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Thank you kerophile, presscall and Spiritburner for your replies.

Comments on poor running, air/fuel mixture noted.

The black spot appeared early on in the burn due to a lot of flaring until full vaporization temperature is reached.

Once up to temperature there was no more soot or smuts for over an hour of running on three occasions yesterday.

I noticed a reference to flaring on the forum by jonathan fairbank back in May 2014 with his S.H&S 1961 model. I experience a lot of flare ups before temperature is reached and then things settle down.

There is a lot of pressure when I release the air screw, which suggests no leaking solder or joints. So not sure that air/fuel mixture is the issue but will keep an open mind. I will continue to closely examine the assembly though.

I did refrain from too much initial pressure at start of burn as advised in previous forum threads. Despite this I still experienced flare ups.

I am wondering if the flame appearing at simmer mode as advised by 'Prescall' and the flare ups can be attributed to very old fuel. And I mean very old!!!! (20+ years!).

I tried two pre burns to warm the assembly today but still suffered flare ups at the beginning. However once things settled down I was able to cook bacon and make an omelette dinner time.

I have re examined the flame assembly in the picture on jonathan fairbank's thread in May 2014 and can see what Presscall is referring too. My burn is a long way short of what is depicted!

So I will purchase some fresh Paraffin/fuel and see if this improves the flare ups and lack of flame intensity issues.

Thanks to all once again for feed back and advice.

Brassmonkey

12. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Thanks for the link Kerophile. By the looks of of the shapes and size, mines an old biscuit tin as well!

Faint writing refers to 2d (Two pence in old money I guess).

Cheers

Brassmonkey

13. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Thanks Kerophile,

I will definitely purchase a set soon.

Hardly going to break the bank. Good value for money.

Cheers

Brassmonkey.

14. kerophile

Hi @Brassmonkey It was generally 1/- or 2/- (1 or 2 shillings) embossed on the tins and refers to the deposit on the tins paid by the retailer to the distributor/manufacturer. The deposit was refunded when the empty biscuit tin was returned in good condition after the biscuits were sold.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Brassmonkey ,

I’ll add my sincere “welcome to CCS”, Sir!! This is THE place to be, if you are into old stoves, or wish to become addicted to them, as we all are...., er, I mean, NO, not “addiction”, but let’s say, “fond interest”..... nah, might as well call it like it is, hang here enough, and you’ll develop a full-blown case of the Stove Pox, for which there is NO known cure!! There.... I’ve said it!! Come join us in the fun!!! ;):clap::clap::lol: Oh, and Thanks for sharing your recent stove find, too!! Excellent!!!! Take care, and. God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.

Warning:
    You get Stove Pox through your eyes. You see one and want another.

17. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Good Morning Doc! Thank you for the welcome and prognosis! :lol:

Stove Pox it is then!!!! :-&

Any known cure? The wife wants to know? ](*,)

The poor wife has to suffer my insatiable appetite for old things - A 1956 Hillman Minx (partially renovated), a 1976 VW Bay Camper (fully renovated), my collection of fossils from around the West Country, my disappearing into old mine and cave systems as a member of The South Glouc' Mines Research Group and Gloucester Speleological Society, to name but a few of my hobbies/interests. And now Old Camping Stoves!!!!! :roll:

Off to buy some fresh Paraffin now and walk the dog.

Hope she is still there when I get back? :-({|=:-({|=:-({|=:-({|=

The dog that is! [-X

Cheers!

Brassmonkey.

18. presscall

Good reason to collect carbide lamps too.

19. Brassmonkey United Kingdom

Yep!!!

Got a few with provenance of being used in the Parkfield Colliery near Pucklechurch, South Gloc.

20. presscall

Respect! I merely use them in the garden and at camp.