Newest project

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by IvanN, Sep 19, 2019.

1. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

I just received this. My first Manaslu. The varnish is in bad shape. I have ordered the center (travel) cap. The fount will clean up good I think.
    I know very little about Manaslu, I read they became Hope Corp. in the 60s, and this one does not have threads on the pump handle for the travel cap as I’ve seen in newer pictures. And the chain may be a clue to age as well. The chain was so you don’t loose the cap maybe? If so it didn’t work.More to come as I get it fixed up. 2D0C90EA-F341-4E38-B7B6-79031FE3713A.jpeg 1DB3D628-B9D5-438E-9988-E56F76E51949.jpeg 18634098-DDAF-41A9-AE2C-73EFE24BB257.jpeg B6AC6E45-D02D-47C0-B752-CE5FA99C3005.jpeg
    :lol: Ivan

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Interesting. An old Manaslu; never seen one of those.

It was only a couple of years back that I learned that Manaslu is a Himalayan 8,000+ m. mountain, climbed for the first time, in 1956, by a Japanese team. Thus it is the "Japanese Everest" so to speak. Hence the name for such stoves.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  3. IvanN

I'm hoping to learn a lot about them, I know next to naught right now.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, @IvanN ,

Ivan, that's a nice older Manaslu 121!! I've seen the newer ones, but never one like yours! Hearty congratulations on scoring it!! Was it on the bay of evil, or a local find? Well done, in any case!! Have fun, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. IvanN

Thanks @Doc Mark It was on the B of E. I’m thinking it slipped under the wire, and not to many people saw it. Very few bids.:content:
    It needs new burner washers, pot stand legs and the center cap.
    When I get it all fixed up I’ll get some proper pictures posted.
    Ivan

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@IvanN ,

I wonder if there are other, more common stove pot support/legs that would fit your 121? Hummmm....:-k :-k :-k. Have you got an Optimus 00? If so, you might try those legs and see. In any case, well done on scoring that one!! I look forward to seeing it "whole", and ready for regular use!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - Ivan, here's some interesting information on the Manaslu stoves:

1957, HOPE has been to have begun from the copy stove Iizuka exercise equipment manufacturing of its patent Japan (then HOPE, Inc. and changed its name) has bought the rights, HOPE MANASLU sold as a brand , 1956 may 9, Japan expedition is Manaslu (8156m) ascent to success NOS mint condition, complete with no shortage 1928 (192[​IMG] Iizuka exercise equipment Works Isao Iizuka in Higashinippori Tokyo Arakawa Taro Mr. founded 1955 climbing boom, ice ax, cooker, such as a manufactured and sold stoves "PRIMUS", "Coleman" surprised because he "Phoebus", etc. were also imported and sold MANASLU BRAND 1960S, from the old Showa around 40 years use to change the brand name of HOPE has been to name this Uddorogo, this might be scarce than lack of easy stove body (laughs) the world of history name machine, logo everywhere have been engraved in the same way Hope, Inc. pride the make me feel, there is no example to others in the domestic N0.22 spanner (medium), No.23 cleaning needle, No.24 tripod No.25 polyethylene bottle No.26 Jogo source that originate from Sweden made of RADIUS from that time, collectively the stove RADIUS, Rajiusu, was called La juice symbol of HOPE made initial model, Manaslu peak motif mADE iN JAPAN, pride of made in Japan there is a history of significant value, the most beautiful Japanese-made brass stove 1980 (1980) Iizuka IsaoTaro Mr. death, HOPE, Inc. dissolution currently Yoshikawa manufacturing production, sells Star Shoji "HIPOLITO No.0" brought the image of, No.12 top ring (middle) handling manual Radius trace the genealogy in Japan stove history historical meaning is deep masterpiece stove name machine HOPE MANASLU sTOVE · MANASLU hEATER: Manaslu heater

7. IvanN

@Doc Mark thanks for the links. That’s an interesting looking heat radiator.
    Ivan

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

9. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

10. IvanN

While I have made legs in the past, for this I did order a new set. Also a new set of prickers.

11. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Their Manaslu stove prices seem to have gone up significantly.

12. IvanN

Yes indeed