NIB Coleman 413G - gonna get 'er broken in

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by beeman86, Sep 28, 2020.

1. beeman86

beeman86 Subscriber

Funny thing with me, when something is new and shiny I absolutely struggle to get it dirty. I have some lovely pipes that I can't seem to bring myself to light up. They look so nice and clean. So, about 10 years ago I bought a new in box Coleman 413G 2 burner camp stove. I have another that I've used and is carboned up - as tends to happen when you use things that make fire, but I've been unable to bring myself to get this one going. She's just so nice and clean!

Well, maybe it's age and realizing that if the 413 doesn't get used and I head to my eternal home unexpectedly, she'll likely go to the next person who'll treat her as she was designed and be creating comforting meals at the campsite before I'm lowered into the ground that made me light her up. It didn't hurt as much as I thought. In fact, I'm taking her camping with a friend next week and we're going to start a bright and warm history together before she goes on to the next owner. DSC03179.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @beeman86 ,

We have a couple of 413 stoves, and they are, IMHO, the best of breed, when it comes to Coleman 2-burner stoves. Taking into account weight, power, and reliability, the 413 is hard to beat! How's about some photos of your "new" 413, when you are using it? That would be super cool! Have fun on your trip, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Stove of stoves, Coleman-wise.

4. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Outstanding stove. Your dilemma is exactly why I don’t buy unfired stoves or lanterns.

5. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Best two burner camping stove ever made. Of course that is opinion based! Brad

6. beeman86

beeman86 Subscriber

Hey Doc, I'll be sure to do that.

I seem to recall a method of dating the stoves and did at the time I bought it. I want to say this stove is mid 80's but I'll have to look up how to determine that.

7. Jim Lukowski United States

The 413's are awesome. Plenty big enough for some cast iron pans and a great size for the Coleman oven.

For dating, turn the tank over to look at the underside of the tabs. Yours is recent enough to have the date, and it will be on one of them.

8. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Sometimes the date is stamped on the bottom of the case. It’s not unusual to have the case with one date and the tank with another.

9. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Here’s my philosophy
    It ain’t money till you spend it
    It ain’t whiskey till you drink it
    It ain’t a stove till you light it

:content: So be sure to enjoy it when you light it. It is an occasion to remember.:content:

10. beeman86

beeman86 Subscriber

Well folks, here are a couple of picks of the old stove finally being lit up - and a couple of bonus ones of the trip. Thanks for the stove dating tip - it was manufactured in March 1979. I had issues last year with the other 413 with cold weather starts. Someone over at the Coleman Collectors site suggested preheating the generator and that was just the thing. The stove started well each time at single digit temps (Celsius). DSC03257.JPG DSC03291.JPG DSC03266.JPG

11. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Great pix!