No. 12 Stove.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by -, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Guest

Hi there, has anyone converted a no 12 to run on petrol?

I may be condemned as a heretic for this, but i hate the smell of d**s*l and paraffin gives me dermatitis so i like to use coleman fuel.
    Can i just fit a burner from an earlier petrol stove? or is there more to it?
    and just to torment myself i have been thinking of putting an MSR pocket rocket burner in my jetboil, this my be technically beyond me so if anyone has tried it - any advice?

2. Andrew61

Try bio-diesel it should not smell and will not cause dermatitis, if you can find any of course and if it will work in your stove.

3. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

About three quarters of the way down this page from journey to forever.org you will find a "cheap" Indian made roarer which was used exclusively with biodiesel, or so it was implied.
    http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor10.html#preheat
    Works well according to the folks there. For stove use, I would think you could get 5 gallons used veg oil and make a small batch for yourself if you want an alternative. If kerosene was tearing me up, I would do it. Luckily, it's not that bad for me.
    Best,
    Randy

Used veg oil + small amount of lye + small amount of methanol= biodiesel. More to it than that, but it's that simple on one level. You get glycerine as a by-product.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Have you tried running it on petrol as it stands?

5. Bom Bom Bom Bom

If it works OK as it stands during a test burn, for longer term use I'd replace the filler cap with one that has a safety pressure release valve.

I've never tried it but I suspect the cap from a No.2 stove, that runs on petrol/coleman, might well fit.

If it doesn't work first up just try changing the jet. As it's currently set up for running on kero/diesel then the aperture might be too small. You could try replacing it with a jet from an Optimus 111B - the No.12 burner shares many common parts with the Optimus 111 series stoves, and the jets are interchangeable.

6. Guest

Thanks for these suggestions, the bio-diesel is something i would never have thought of. I really like the no 12 stove but as i drive a petrol car my favourite trick if i run low on coleman is to unhook the fuel line from the engine's injector rail and refill directly from the car via the inline fuel filter using the electric fuel pump in the car's petrol(gasoline) tank.
    Well, it amuses me. i always unplug the ignition coil first!
    am off to look for a litre of bio hopefully the stove will smell like a chip shop and i will try and post the results.
    thanks

7. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Patrick, you probably already know this, but just in case......

The "bio" fuels sold at service stations are a mix with a relatively low proportion of bio diesel. Most car engine (and boat engine) manufacturers to date have not certified their engines to run on 100% bio-diesel and therefore will not necessarily honour warranties. Therefore you can't get 100% bio-diesel at the pump from mainstream service stations.

Having said that I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as to where you could procure it from.....

Anyone else any suggestions?

8. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Sorry Graham, but according to this you can get B100 in the U.K. and VW group has conformed to B100 standards (whatever that means). They do advise contacting your auto manufacturer before using it.
    Looks to be quite a few places where you can get B100-
    http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/alloutlets.htm

I found this page with google.

Still don't know why they have not ethanol fuels over there. They ( auto makers ) are building the flex-fuel vehicles.

Best,
    Randy

edit- Only 4 car companies have approved use of 100% biodiesel (U.K.)-

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/approvals.htm

9. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Randy,

If you read my post I said "most" car and boat engine manufacturers had not certified, and that it was not generally available from "mainstream" service station forecourts. The link you provided answers the question of where you can get it and totally supports what I said in my post - it shows that it's available from a relatively small handful of the thousands of service stations in the UK. Still usefull information for anyone that wants to use it.

10. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Sorry, :oops:
    It sounded as if it was impossible to find. Although you can find ethanol here, it's harder to find biodiesel, and quite often, it's more expensive than petrodiesel!
    Sorry Graham!

11. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

I just found this-
    http://www.saabbiopower.co.uk/default.asp?docId=13115

Although it's not all over the U.K., you CAN get e85 in some places! Looks like it is better known as bioethanol over there. It's not "illegal" or anything, just not as common as here. ( By here I mean Colorado, there are a lot of politics involved in commercial availability over here. I am sure there are states where there are no e85 pumps or very few. Luckily, mine isn't one of them. )

More good information! Please forgive me if I seem contentious, it's not on purpose.