No 2 Modified Stove the Fife Fettle

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Surveyor, Aug 1, 2020 at 4:35 PM.

1. Surveyor

Having read enough on this forum especially the threads from presscall and the links to others, i have started the fettle, my first of 6 No2 and No2 modified and 4 Number 12 stoves, first thing was to take apart from the box which I intend to sand blast for the first one, I have sourced labels, bit pricey but may be worth it, i have sent every thing out as a picture from presscall and the Fettle Box, first issue was to get a spanner big enough for removing pump mechanism, visit to the local DIY, all washers were bone dry and have assumed parts were made of aluminium seemed corroded and needed side plyers on some parts to strip. IMG_20200801_151534.jpg IMG_20200801_151535.jpg

This part seems needing a good clean will do with a damp cloth

IMG_20200801_160355.jpg

So far got to this stage need to get the rubber washers out

IMG_20200801_161142.jpg

Reading one thread I need to soak in oil the pump washer the one i have is made of Viton, so do i need to soak it?
    IMG_20200801_163319.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Lennart F Sweden

It is smart to lubricate Viton parts at assembly and if they are hard to fit due to stiffness, you could warm them a little to soften them.

3. Surveyor

Many thanks was going to use olive oil as some one here recommended that on one thread which i cant find, just got all the springs and washers apart and spraying the tank. IMG_20200801_175033_1.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi @Surveyor , your pump cup is NOT made of viton but is made of leather. The viton refers to the RUBBER seals & such. Best is to soak the pump cup in a mineral oil, vegetable oil gets rancid. Another good oil is neat's foot oil.

Good luck with your restoration!

5. Surveyor

Wim
    Thanks every day a school day and i dont mind, will look for mineral oil, may have some in a cupboard,

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Surveyor

3-in-1 oil, or sewing machine oil will do. In desperation, use the dipstick of you car engine.

Tony

7. Surveyor

Tony
    Thanks was heading back to the store as my bottle didn't have enough, wonder why i started LoL

8. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Sperm oil is best. Sperm oil has low viscosity and is very stable. It retains its viscosity in high temperatures better than most oils. It doesn't go rancid, gum up, dry out, or corrode metals. It also has a very low freezing point. It has been banned since the 1970's but occasionally some old stock comes up for sale on eBay. Expect to pay $250 for 8 ounces.

P8011129.JPG

The one pint tin of Sperm Oil was half full when I bought it. I bought another partial bottle that came from a 1910 pharmacy and topped it off. The tin has a really nice brass cap and is the stuff I use. The Brownell's is new old stock an has never been opened. I'll probably put it back on eBay in 5 years and see if I can't double my money.

Ben

9. Surveyor

Ben

Seem to remember you saying that before, not sure of the availability of Sperm oil, got the 3 in 1 this morning giving it about a 30 minute soak then fit, after which burner to be refitted then the water test, as first one just hoping all goes well, i may need to get a washer for the burner unit as none in the pack.

10. Surveyor

Found my first mistake unless you count forgetting oil and having to get "a bigger spanner", the leather washer for the pump does not have a perfect circle to fit, note to self next time check before putting it in oil.

Please feel free to laugh

Using this thread and as an aide memoire for me and notes for the first time Fettler on the No 2 modified and similar IMG_20200802_115751.jpg stoves

11. Surveyor

IMG_20200802_134405.jpg Got the pump back together yes have pressure, next put back the bronze cylinder, spring seems to work, put that on now the problem, if finger tight when pumping the air will not escape, a slight loosening and the air come out via the threads.

IMG_20200802_134444.jpg
    Any clues please? put it away till next weekend

12. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, is it possible that you have assembled the NVR internals incorrectly?

The rubber seal should be facing the pump piston once assembled:

upload_2020-8-2_18-25-41.jpeg

From this thread:

NRV repair.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

13. Surveyor

Yes that's the way I have it, I am wondering if wrong washer in head but if that's the case the springs wouldn't move

14. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Surveyor there are slight differences between the NRVs from different Manufacturers and stove types.
    Here are a couple of photos I have just taken of the NRV from a Military No.12 stove, so similar to yours.

487144A6-733E-42F5-836A-A31FF506B3DC.jpeg F22F0DB3-FDEB-4396-98B5-BEE87BB6E197.jpeg
    Can you confirm that your NRV is assembled like this one?

Another tip: once assembled you can always test pump function using a glass of water and watching where the bubbles come from.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

15. Surveyor

Yes that's the way, I have put it away for now as away for a week and will look at it next weekend