No. 210 in action

Discussion in 'Primus No:210' started by Wandering Scotsman, May 29, 2021.

1. Wandering Scotsman United Kingdom

I thought I'd take my 210 with me for an overnight camp in my teepee out in the woods. The next morning I got woken up by beautiful sunlight and chirping birds. So this was the first time I had my pressure stove in action... and what better combination is there for breakfast than having some hot pancakes to go with freshly grinded coffee outdoors.

20210529_094755.jpg
    Two classics: the Primus No. 210, and the Bialetti Moka Express

What I noticed though is that I had to prime the stove more than once. The first time, it actually went on by itself... so the tank must have already been pressurised? I was kind of confused, so I tried it a second time. This time, there were lots of fumes coming from the stove, instead of it catching the flames from the burning alcohol. I then used my lighter and it just went on. Weird behaviour at the beginning... could also be due to the fact that it's a bit difficult to see the flames in broad daylight... or I just don't quite know what I'm doing, that could also be the case. Other than that, the performance of this thing is great. Applying less pressure in order to make the pancakes worked great, and the coffee was ready in maybe 3-4 minutes when running on full steam.

20210528_152351.jpg
    My Primus No. 210 (AA - 1936) when unboxing, with all its additional items.

Obviously, it's not the fastest stove to setup, nor is it the lightest system to carry - I weighed 1364g for the whole box, with the tank filled up about half way... my tent is lighter than that!!
    Still, I think its rare and antique design, and its historic value, truly make up for it... it's like cooking on a piece of jewlery.

Hope you guys enjoy the images!

Cheers, Kevin

2. A A C

A A C Norway SotM Winner Subscriber

Great stuff Kevin . Best way to start the day ! Terrific stove the wee 210 :thumbup:

3. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Looks good,,, and sounds like you enjoyed yourself…

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Wandering Scotsman these stoves work best outdoors when fitted with a good windshield. It makes for more efficient pre-heating vaporisation of the paraffin. It also protects the flame from side-draughts once running.

In the first photo you show the windshield part-open and perched on the top of the fuel tank. It should be clipped closed and then hung from the gallery that holds the flame-ring.
    Have a look at the photo in this post:

Primus No. 210 - 1936 *

Give it a try and see if it improves the start-up performance of your Pr.210. These are excellent stoves!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

6. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

@Wandering Scotsman
    Hi Kevin, When you prime and preheat the stove you ought to have the pressure release valve undone somewhat so there is no pressure in the tank. You will still often get a candle like flame at the jet, caused by the expansion of the paraffin already in the oilways of the burner. Only close the valve and pump up pressure once the meths has all but been burned.

7. Wandering Scotsman United Kingdom

@kerophile No need for an additional windscreen when you're sitting in a teepee and there's virtually no wind at all. On the first image, the windscreen is slightly open as I primed the stove a second time, and the screen was steaming hot... so I couldn't really fit it on properly. But under such perfect conditions, I could have easily primed the stove without it.

I think the problem was simply that the tank had pressurised itself as @Dean mentions. I was just a but confused when I put it on a second time and got smoke coming from the top of the burner, since this had never happened to me before... so I used a pricker to see if it was perhaps clogged up.
    I just made same fresh coffee at home with it and the stove still works fine as always...

Cheers

8. Wandering Scotsman United Kingdom

@kerophile I didn't know however that you're actually supposed to clip the wind screen on to the burner cup, so thanks for the info.
    Yes it's a brilliant stove. It's very heavy, but the performance of it is fantastic. I estimated 3-4 minutes in my original post, but just timed it to see how long it would take to get a rolling boil... and after a little bit more than 2 minutes, coffee was done. The whole process is a bit similar to MSR's white gas stoves, I like it a lot.

9. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

@Wandering Scotsman
    If you are getting kero vapour on preheat it is either coming from the jet (so jet not blocked entirely) or the spirit cup.
    The spirit cup acts as a catch in use tank for all the liquid kero spurting out of the jet if you pressure it too soon (it may have happened to me more than once!). Leakage round the heat resisting washer at the burner, spirit cup and riser tube connection would normally only result in plumes of vapour once the tank had been pressurised. That joint and the burner to tank joint below it, can leak vapour when in use, from inadequate sealing (seals degenerated or too slack) and sometimes may ignite. I have blown them out, only to get another flame a few seconds later!