Norma No.51 spirit stove

Discussion in 'Norma 51' started by presscall, Jul 8, 2011.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

I couldn't resist re-staging a photo from this 75-year-old Norma (Barthel) catalogue of spirit stoves, featuring a Norma 51 spirit stove

1936 (approx) Norma/Barthel spirit stove catalogue

1310163057-1.JPG

1310163065-2.jpg

The components were in good shape, the frame was sound but responded to a de-rust here and there and a re-spray

1310163078-3.JPG

The filter was predictably shot, so I made a new one. A two-wire core held in a vice at one end and the chuck of a hand-drill at the other and twisted at a slow speed. The filter medium is eight strands of fire-proof fibre from a woven soldering mat, twisted lightly round the core and tethered at each end with a tightly-bound fine brass wire (from a Rioja bottle)

1310163089-4.JPG

I was stunned by the quality of the components, the burner and fuel tube beautifully constructed

1310163102-5.JPG 1310163131-6.JPG

Nice touch, a tapered thread here, requiring no sealing washer

1310163152-7.JPG

A perfect brass sphere

1310163180-8.JPG

Prior to the late 1920's, 'Made in Germany' had to be stamped on German products imported into Britain. The authorities thought that supposed British distaste for anything from a county they had so recently been in terrible conflict with would curb demand. They miscalculated - the British appreciated the quality of German goods and the 'Made in Germany' enhanced sales. By 1936 an enforced stamping of 'Foreign' on imports was a revised attempt to hit sales, which didn't work either

1310163220-9.JPG

Quality indeed

1310163256-10.JPG

Very controllable and surprisingly powerful full-on

1310163275-11.JPG

1310163300-12.JPG

Works well. Time for a brew

1310163326-13.JPG

1310163351-14.JPG

1310163365-15.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

You've lost it John - totally! But with style!!

That is excellent.

3. RonPH

Close enuf :)

Ron

4. cazna

What a great stove, I just picked up this Austral GG stove, Austrailian made, Cast iron, It needs a good clean up which i will do one day but seems quite large for a stove of this type, I tryed it out and its not running very well but looks to put out a large flame pattern.

1310167640-DSCF2422_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. nzmike

Lovely stove! :thumbup: I had a Turm 38 I quite liked, but I always wanted one of the 'tank on top' types. Very elegant!

6. threedots New Zealand

Another great stove, fettle and tutorial John.
    The gravity feed meths stove can be surprisingly powerful especially with a clean/new wick.
    Very good reading indeed.

Hello cazna. You will probably find that the wick will usually be the problem with those type of stove, and the stove burner being cast iron, looks like it would take a fair bit of preheating to get it hot enough for the alcohol gas to burn blue when first starting. They also shouldn't be turned up until the burner has gained enough heat after running it for awhile. Another problem could be that the wrong fuel(say kerosene) was used in it by a previous owner. Something to check is whether the burner needs cleaning through from rust oxide dust and sooting. Cheers

7. cazna

Heres your old Turm 38 Nzmike, And an Adler Kocher.

Thanks for that threedots, The Turm 38 needs a fettle as well, It has a pre burner flame, Interesting set up.

Sorry the pics are not even close to your amazing standard Presscall, You really set the bar.
    1310189244-DSCF2412_opt.jpg

8. presscall

They're just different, cazna, and show the stoves in the hallowed setting of the fettling workshop, which is a privilege to see ...

Nifty with a camera maybe, but I failed miserably in attempting to translate the leaflet I mentioned

Norma spirit stoves leaflet

I could guess that the second page, with the stoves in use, was 'selling a lifestyle', to convey the fact that you didn't just buy a stove, but bought into the way of life depicted in the photos.

I was even able, with the help of Google translator, to establish that the stoves were smokeless, odourless and burned with a "beautiful blue flame".

This bit had me baffled at first, though

'Norma' ist der beste Kochgehilfe, er gehört in jeden Gasthof ...

(Norma is the best cook's assistant, it belongs in every inn/guesthouse ...)

By misreading 'gehört' as 'gehurt' and omitting the umlaut (two dots over the vowel) the translation read,

"Norma is the best cook's assistant, he plays the whore in every guesthouse ..."

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi John

As if i have'nt got enough stoves :doh: without you tempting me to invest in more :shock: :D :D :thumbup:

Still, seriously nice Norma alky burner :mrgreen: 8) 8) :thumbup:

Best regards Stu :D :thumbup:

PS as for the bad translation ,get it where you can i say :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: & there's no smoke without fire :shock: :D :thumbup:

10. presscall

Hi Stu

I think you said you'd a hundred, including lanterns and lamps, at the last count!

Fair enough, sez I.

John

11. nzmike

That wee Adler is well spiffy! The tank hides underneath for travel? The Turm made gallons of coffee for me over a few years via my stainless Bialetti that's still in daily use. :thumbup:

12. presscall

You mean like the arrangement on the Turm Sport?

Turm Sport 'flip

No, the Norma's more basic, nzmike, and the tank's fixed. It's meant for travel, judging by what it says in that catalogue, but emptied of fuel.

John

13. presscall

Sorry, you meant the Adler

1310224687-22.JPG

1310224616-16.JPG

Yes, the tank folds under ...

1310224671-19.JPG

... with this arrangement

1310224635-17.JPG 1310224651-18.JPG

Unlike the Turm Sport, that manoeuvre can only be done without fuel in the tank and the joint's fiddly to seal hand-tight.

In use, the lack of clearance between the priming pan/burner and work surface makes it necessary to make sure the latter's heatproof ...

1310224711-20.JPG

John

14. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi John as all ways a outstanding restoration job and brilliantly documented and photographed.
    You have a realy nice spirit stove i must say how good the flame control is on it from full to a very low simmer and looking at the close up shot of the flame patern it looks just like the flame patern on home gas stove once again John well done indeed

15. weg69

Hi, my name's Reg and am probably the newest member here. Thought you might like to see a picture of my 'Aladdin 20', or so it says on the regulator knob. |imgRemoved| |imgRemoved|

16. weg69

Oops! sorry, haven't got to grips with this photo uploading yet!

17. cazna

Hey i just noticed something with the Two Adlers, Presscalls has the fuel valve at the front which is great as it gives full control, But take a look at mine, At the top of the tank, See the main knob, Well thats the fuel control, its a long stem that goes to the bottom of the tank, The smaller cap is the fuel filler, If you remove the big cap to fill with fuel then it all runs out the bottom, This makes for very poor flame control as the main fuel stem is full of fuel and you cant just shut it off, It goes well but hopeless to control, This has had me baffled?? Can you guys see anything im missing here???? Please help if you can??

18. presscall

Yes, when I got the Adler I took a look at the one featured in the Stove Ref Gallery - Motoshi's - and realised there was that difference in the location of the control spindle

Motoshi's Adler spirit stove

From what Motoshi said in his post about the delayed-action response to the tank-mounted control, I'd say your stove's no worse than his, cazna, and suffers from an inherent design fault.

As I've already said, mine too is a flawed design with the apparent benefit of a stowable tank, but only by unscrewing the tank-to-burner-pipe joint (spilling out any fuel residue in the process).

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  19. cazna

Oh Right, Cheers for that presscall, That explains things, I though there was something i had missed, Still a cool stove, Just a shame the control is not like the touring turm.

20. Arzak United States

I know this is an old thread but I was interested in what was the original filter material was. It looks like asbestos though it's hard to tell what it is from the photograph. The woven soldering mat was that a fiberglass mat. thanks