NorthEast Stove Meet 2008 - We are back !!!

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by CWilkins, Jul 15, 2008.

1. exeter_yak

Hello All,
    Nice photo sequence Manny & thanks for posting the pics. The potlegs went to an Opti 00 of recent vintage owned byt Paul T at the meet. Shortly after the forming they were completed with the drop forge to make the flat and kink, with a die set made for that type Opti 00 potlegs. In that particular style of 00 with a relatively long history, the potleg has a radius leading to the flat portion that closely matches the roll of the top edge of the tank which is much less sharp than the competitors stoves such as Radius 21 and Primus 210 to name a just a couple of other 1 pint stoves. It is a nice design because potleg stress and wear factors are distributed over a wider area of the curve of the tank on the 00 and the potlegs are probably a bit more stable when seated on the tank in actual use.

The 00 is a lovely stove, and the potlegs have nice lines as well.

Regards,
    Doug

2. TrainManny

Hi Doug and Stove Brothers,

Here is the whole series I took of the Drop Forge process. There is no substitute for seeing (and hearing) your Drop Forge in action.

Cheers,

Manny

DropForgeDieSet.jpg

LoadingDieSet.jpg

PotLeginDropForge.jpg

LiftingWeight.jpg

DropForgeinAction.jpg

DropForgeFinishedProduct.jpg

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Manny,
    Could you put names on this pic, as I'm not sure who is who...
    TheCrew.jpg
    Thanks
    Steve

4. TrainManny

Hi Steve,

From left to right: Mar, Doug (exeter_yak), Paul B, Mark, Chuck (CWilkins), Trainmanny, Paul T (Ulysses).

Cheers,

Manny

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Looks like you all had a seriously great weekend!

I'm amazed at the lengths you've gone to with the shower & the heated sinks! I'm totally gobsmacked. Put's my washing up in the dirty pan & a quick wipe down with wet wipe if I get really mucky to shame! (Actually I did have one shower at Newark.)

I wish I could have been there - the workshops look fascinating & that drop forge something else! Doug you are truly a Master of the highest Order of Fettlers.

6. jlgatton

Hi Manny,

Great weekend, absolutely over the top.

All the best,

Jerry

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

CONGRATULATIONS!

How remiss of me not to mention it before - great effort beating the record!
    =D> =D>

Now it's over to the Swedes! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  8. sefaudi

Hello,

I wish I had been there and had a chance to meet all of you and see great shows.

Can I get a CD media including movies and photos regarding the meet? Especially fettling sessions are quite important me as there is no body to refer while fettling a stove here. I remember Dear Brother Doug was stating also soldering filler cap, pump section etc. would take place during meeting. I didn't see any issue about those topics from the pictures listed here.

In summary, I would be very grateful if I receive records of this great gathering.

9. exeter_yak

Hi Sefa,
    We had a 1 pint stove belonging to TrainManny at the meet, which acted like the NRV was leaking. When it continued to leak after an NRV change, we removed the pump tube in order to get a good close look at the inside of the pump assembly and found a crack in the pump tube itself at the bottom end. It was quite interesting to find it and was not evident until we cleaned the pump tube, which I always do before reassembly and usually perform immediately after removal. In this instance it showed us a hairline crack. We then solder sealed the crack using a liquid activated rosin flux and 60/40 solder, the tube was then reinstalled in the stove and soldered back in place. The stove was then functional. I am not sure if anyone filmed or took photos of the process. Perhaps they will chime in here with some images or comment on any video that may have been taken.

Regards,
    Doug

10. bark2much

Great, hands-on, continuing education, I would say!
    Great photo essay, too! The drop forge is most impressive!
    Thanks all around!

11. exeter_yak

Hello,
    Thanks Ross. Everything was going our way this year including the weather. We are already working on details for next year and talking about additional improvements that we may be able to achieve for our encampment and activities.

An unmentioned improvement this year was the fuel dump, with grates mounted over plastic buckets for fueling, and all fuel was stored in the refueling area with individual owners names on the containers, but it was essentially community fuel. It seemed a worthwhile precaution with the amount of white gas on site. The fueling buckets and grates were supplied by Mark G., and the idea was initiated last year by Paul B.

ATB
    Doug

12. Henry

Brilliant. Looks like you all had a great weekend :D :D

Congratulations on the new world record

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  13. the priest

Wow,....looks like a great time, great food, etc.

14. sefaudi

I am repeating my last message below:

Hello, I wish I had been there and had a chance to meet all of you and see great shows. Can I get a CD media including movies and photos regarding the meet? Especially fettling sessions are quite important me as there is no body to refer while fettling a stove here. I remember Dear Brother Doug was stating also soldering filler cap, pump section etc. would take place during meeting. I didn't see any issue about those topics from the pictures listed here. In summary, I would be very grateful if I receive records of this great gathering. Best wishes
    Sefa

15. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I can't add anything to what's been said, so I'll give you a round of applause. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: