NOS Optimus 111t international issues

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by WilliamH, Mar 17, 2020.

1. WilliamH

WilliamH Canada Subscriber

Good evening,

I just received my NOS stove, and there seems to be a few problems I need help with.

1. The stove case seems to be too small for the burner with the preheat shield. It's very difficult to close, and the shield is pushed too much against the back of the case when closed IMO.

2. The regulator shaft does not line up with the hole in the case and I have to pull the burner back to connect it with the regulator.

3. How do I know if the jet that came with it is for kerosene? How do I take apart the burner and install the second one if its not?

4. Isn't there supposed to be a small wrench attached to the back of the top lid?

I hope I didn't just buy a lemon....

Thank you kindly,

W

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      153.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      151.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      152.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      148.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      132 KB
      Views:
  2. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @WilliamH it looks like you have a nice stove.
    It is quite unusual to have instructions attached to the inside lid of the case. I have only ever seen this on Op.111 stoves used by the Military. Is it possible that your stove had this history?

Once the Military has a stove it is quite likely to have parts interchanged with others of the same or similar models. That’s just how the military training methods and maintenance seem to operate, and you can end up with bitsa stoves. A bit from here and a bit from there....

The link you have already been given shows that the Op.111T did have different burners and control regulators fitted during its long production run.

You say that the shield (windshield?) is tilted up when pushed against the back of the case on closing. This is because space is tight in a standard Op.111 case for taking a long-pattern windshield on an Op.111T stove. Have a look at this post and its links:

Optimus short skirt windshields.

You also asked about the small spanner/wrench used on Op.111 stoves. This is used for nipple/jet removal and replacement, and to tighten the packing box of the regulator spindle.

Your stove has the multi-tool regulator knob/shaft, which I believe can be used as a jet removal tool for silent burners.

If you want/need the missing spanner, one can be purchased from Base Camp in the UK.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  4. kerophile

Hi William, I think I might know what the remains of the label stuck on the top of the burner once said:

upload_2020-3-17_12-31-44.jpeg

From this thread:

Optimus Hiker+ NATO prototype

If so it suggests that your burner, and possibly the whole stove is unused and has only been run in the factory to confirm function.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. kerophile

Hi, your fourth photo : Is the spirit cup mounted upside-down? I don't see how it would hold priming alcohol

6. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi all, with 99,9% certainty I can say that WilliamH's stove is a surplus 111USA. This is a US Armed forces version of the standard 111T. Sticker label inside lid + priming wick in spirit cup + burn tested at factory (with tested sticker).

The 111USA was delivered in large quantities during the second half of the 1990's under a frame contract with DLA.

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Might want to familiarize yourself with this model stove. The multi-tool is just that. To remove the jet on this silent burner, you have to remove the burner caps. The jet may have a letter stamped on it since the stove is a new model and may have come with marked jets. Where is the parts packet that should have been with the stove, it would have instructions and other jets.
    Some of my smaller stoves need the burner moved a little to engage the knob shaft, some only needed the fuel "pipe" bent and the burner rotated a bit, but yours needs the burner pulled back a little.
    Duane

8. WilliamH

Good morning,

Thank you so much for your time in answering my questions. This site has an amazing amount of knowledge that has saved me many times all thanks to its incredible members.

I am happy with the stove as long as it’s the 111t model and it works.

Here are some pics of the box and bag that came with it as well as some other pics for 2 more questions.

1. The pump rod shaft seems to be very corroded. What would I use to make it pretty again?

2. There is a welding mark above the fill hole knob. Can this mark be removed as well?

I checked both jets and I don't see any markings to distinguish between the different fuels. I will compare hole sizes and the smaller one will be kerosene.

Thank you kindly,

W

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      136 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      127.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      115.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      122.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Guessing the installed jet is for both kero and petrol, the parts bag has (what I can see) the air restrictor and I'm sure a jet for alcohol since this is a triple fuel stove.
    Duane

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

The jet for both fuels will be a happy medium for kero and gas/petrol. Some of the new jets would be marked "M".
    Duane

11. kerophile

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @WilliamH

Are you going to use the stove?

1. You could try using some very fine (0000 or 000) steel wool (?wire wool) and Mother’s Mag in the pump shaft.

2. The mark above the filler could be removed but it would ruin the tank costing, and you’d have to polish the whole tank to get it even again... If you use the stove that spot becomes part of the patina.

Cheers

Tony

13. WilliamH

Thanks for the replies again. I plan on using the stove soon. I will have to do a under water leak test first to make sure there are no leaks.

On another note, I just cooked my family breakfast using my svea 105 which Ive done countless times, and the food had a kerosene taste. I'm thinking that I released pressure on the stove too quickly and the fumes went up and into the lid and gave the food that taste.

Anyone have experience with this and how to prevent it? I have cooked with kerosene for almost a year now and this is the first time its happened.

Thanks again,

W

14. WilliamH

@kerophile,

Hey Kerophile,

Can you please take a look at my flame pattern and let me know if this looks ok? The flame pattern seems to be off center and rich.

I did a good preheat with alcohol, and cleaned the jet with the cleaning needle.

If there is something I can do to fix my perceived issues with the flame, please let me know.

Thank you,

W

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      85.6 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
  15. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Looks right. Would be better with specific fuel jet instead of what is likely the dual fuel jet.
    Duane

16. WilliamH

Thanks Duane,

Where would I find a good Kerosene jet for this stove? I want a nice blue strong flame.

17. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Check out Basecamp in the UK.
    Duane

18. kerophile

Hi @WilliamH The flame pattern looks good to me! Your stove is likely turning out around 2.5 kW there so all that is lacking is a kettle-full of water to make tea or coffee.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

19. Staffan Rönn

20. Staffan Rönn

I agree that the flame looks nice. The slightly orange color tone is normal when breaking in NOS burners.