Nova in a Primus Cup (For Trangia) question

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by snwcmpr, Feb 16, 2020.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Reference:
    https://shop.trangia.se/en/spare-parts/burner-cup-primus-system.html
    [​IMG]
    I am putting another Nova in a Primus cup and it seems to be cockeyed.
    The fuel line is high, when in the slot, so that the burner looks like it is too low.
    The threaded part of the burner is not very long.

I have searched here and though there are many posts and photos there are not any photos with a view of the mounting of the Nova burner into the Primus Cup.
    Do any of you have photos of the mounting of the Nova in that cup?

I was told the Nova I have had a threaded rod silbrazed on. It is not much longer.
    There is a small 'washer' of sorts under the burner.
    And, the thread does not extend fully through the nut.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

A few photos.
    20200216_174140.jpg 20200216_173126.jpg

3. Lemming

The burner seems to be at an angle in your photographs - possibly due to the washer?

With the older burner bell with the thinner thread, the Trangia instructions show a washer on the outside of the housing under the securing nut, but I see no need for one at all with the newer thread.

Attached shows a new burner (from The Base Camp) that I installed over the weekend:
    Nova (1 of 3).jpg Nova (2 of 3).jpg Nova (3 of 3).jpg

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Thank you for the reply.
    I do not have a washer on that assembly. That is with ONLY the burner and the cup (with spring and priming pad).

If I add a washer, above the cup, I cannot attach the nut.

5. Afterburner

Sorry for no photos, my camera is not with me...

I have a first generation Trangia multifuel which is basically same setup. Same cup and 'Made in Sweden' Nova burner with CEJN-connectors. In my set burner is side way tilted because threaded stud is a bit bend to side.

I looked if there is tilting to fuel tube direction or 180° direction from fuel tube. Yes there is tilting 180° direction from fuel tube but it is very-very small. Less than 1 mm / ~0.04" on burner bell top surface compared to cup edge. Looks that fuel tube touches to the cup and that will cause that very slight tilting to 180° direction from fuel tube.

Threaded stud in my burner is 6mm / 1/4" long. No washer inside of the cup. Thin washer inside of cup would fix that slight tilting opposite to fuel line in my set. Washer's OD should be much smaller than in "standard" washer that washer would be fully inside of raised edges of the spring. Length of the threaded stud in my case would allow close 1 mm / 0.04" washer inside of the cup. I think that I will make the washer to my set when I fit the side way tilt problem...

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I went out to the shed before going to bed, and took another look at the Nova.
    I put the lock nut above the spring, and the set up is level, and the nut goes on fine. (Previously the lock nut has been on the bottom of the cup, with the nut.)

I will check it out later.

Ken

7. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

If the Nova can be mounted with this attachment, this may solve my problem mentioned in my post earlier today. I did not know these parts are compatible with each other.

8. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@alanwenker

I've also done the same setup as @snwcmpr and I just purchased the Trangia cups from Amazon for $23 each.

Mike

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I will still make a clone of the optimus holder. A strip of spring steel is meeded.