NRV cheap removal tool = trouble!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by rdraider, Jun 16, 2017.

1. rdraider

Hi all!

Long time member, but i believe this to be my first post, at least in a while.

Picked up a Primus No.5 in decent condition other than missing the inner and outer burner caps and the trivet ring or grate what ever you call it at the top. According to the date code of AL 5, i believe its a 47 stove.

Anyways, I began my refurb of it and started with the NRV. I had a tool left over from a Monitor stove refurb i did a few years back. It seemed to fit. But as i cranked on it to remove the NRV it rounded off the corners pretty quick.

So my question is, am I stuck? Or would a better tool still save this stove?

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Even the ones from quality brands like Primus back in the day could round off stuck NRV's & the tools suffer damage too. They are fine with regular torque.

A quality, well fitting homemade or custom made tool usually works better.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

If rounded badly then the pump tube might need to be pulled. On my phone, so can't get the link.

Ken in NC

4. rdraider

So after looking around on the forum a bit, pulling the pump tube sounds like my solution.

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Before removing the pump tube you might want to have a go using this method . . . . .