NRV repair.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, Mar 4, 2011.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

How many CCS members does it take to repair a stove NRV?

Three, one to hold the NRV tool and two to turn the tank.

Well, not exactly, but it helps to have the tools and spares that fellow CCS members can provide.

I was working recently on a Svea 121 stove produced in the early 1960s. It is an Optimus Dublo clone.

This stove has not have an easy life. It had a nasty dent on the top of the tank and needed all seals and washers replaced.
    Someone had put a lead washer in the reserve cap. When I dug it out the hardened original washer was still underneath. This was replaced with a new Viton seal

The NRV leaked. Here are some photos of the removal and re-assembly:

1299236856-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-1.jpg

1299236883-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-2.jpg

The very elegant and effective NRV key was made by my stove-friend loco7stove. The original NRV pip was the one-piece moulded type, and very hard. Here it is shown alongside a replacement NRV valve. The brass carrier was made by Exeter Yak, and the Viton pip by Ross:

1299236906-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-3.jpg

1299236925-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-4.jpg

The lead washer for the NRV is not shown in the earlier photos as it was stuck at the base of the pump tube. I recovered it and replaced it on the head of the NRV:

1299236946-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-6.jpg

1299236961-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-5.jpg

The previous owner had obviously been trying to repair the pump, but had little idea about the correct position for a pump leather:

1299236983-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-10.jpg

I replaced the home-made leather pump leather with one of CCS member Sefa's specials:

1299237020-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-7.jpg

Finally I took the dents out of the windshield and flame-ring, straightened the burner, added Kerophile burner washers and after fuelling, was ready for the trial:

1299237033-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-8.jpg

1299237056-Svea-121.-Pump-and-NRV-9.jpg

So this old stove is working well, and it only took three CCS members (for the tool and spares) and myself.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

2. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi George

Very tidy fettle & super flame shot, makes you feel good to have helped in a small way :D :thumbup: !!!

Best regards Stu.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

very nice, wish mine all ran that hot.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, Kerophile,

Lovely stove, and well done fettle, George! It's always nice to see another damaged and dusty brassie, roar back to life, and you are amongst the best at resurrecting them and giving them a new lease on life!! Thanks for sharing your successful fettle with us!

Stu, do you have plans to manufacture and sell that outstanding NRV tool? If so, please put my name on the list of those who would love to have one! One of my biggest complaints about most of such tools, is that the "T" handle is skimpy and way too tiny. Can't really get a good purchase on that little thing. Please let me know if you are intending to sell these, and if so, what it would cost me, with shipping to CA/USA? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi Doc

I just make them to order.

I've got to make some more fairly soon for 3 or 4 more stovies so i'll add you in as well. They come as a pair one for 96 / 210/00 sizes & one for the no1/5 size with enough length to do deep set NRV's as well.

I'm making some bits for John ( big BTU ) in Hawaii including some NRV tools This week, so i'll get cracking on these as well. I'll let you all know when they're done & ready to post should be next week :thumbup:

Best regards Stu.

6. Doc Mark

Hi, Stu,

Thanks, very much, for getting back to me so quickly, and with such outstanding news!! We'll have to figure out how I can pay you, as I no longer use PayPal. But, we can work that out when the time comes. Thanks, very much, Sir, for putting me on the list!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. kerophile

Hi, I was just reading the comment that the seller put on his ebay advert. He said "For the past 35 years every time I have gone into the loft I have tripped over this old stove in its bag".

So it was well and truly resurrected this week.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. Doc Mark

HI, George,

Outstanding!! Having such a "history", to go along with your stove, makes it all the more wonderful that you breathed life back into it!! 8) :clap: :clap: Again, well done, and many thanks for sharing it with us! Makes me smile, to think that this stove might have joined multitudes of others, in the skip/bin/trash, had it not come into your capable and loving hands, George!! Fun! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Clever post, George, and all credit to you and your co-conspirators!

Maybe could have replaced the lead washer, though no need to, to enable you to include Henrik's (Chickenthief's) lead washer punch.

Speaking of which, where is Chickenthief these days? (Denmark I know, but in CCS terms?)

John

10. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi All

I have been asked by several stovies to make some more of the NRV tools i have supplied to George , Sefa & others.

When they are ready i will put a post in this forum to let you all know :thumbup: .

Best regards Stu :D .

11. kerophile

Hi John, I forgot to say that I did replace the lead washer in the riser tube of this Svea 121, using a new, home-made one. I have a Boehm concentric punch set which I use to make many types of washer.
    I also peened the hinge pins of the folding legs of this stove as they were very floppy.
    I hope Henrik is well. I miss his contributions to CCS.
    Best Regards,
    George.

12. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Me too. PT'd him a while ago but sadly got no reply.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  13. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Ross said he was alive and well but unavailable. I have no other information than that.

14. S Lightner United States

Stu - Please add my name to the list of members that would like an NVR tool. Thanks! I have also received parts from Sefa, with great results! His leather pump part is just right and is the reason my Enders Benzin-Baby 9063 works so well. The lid of my container had been spray painted black and I ordered a decal from Quitestove.com to refurbish it. I appreciate all the information on this site that made using my stove possible. I plan to take it on a spoon carving event next weekend, where we will camp.
    IMG_E6467[1].JPG

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Best to pm him yourself.
    @loco7stove

16. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Day late, dollar short, might consider another source. Been 11 years.
    Duane

17. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

The only other source that I can think of is the NRV tools that came with repair kits.
    There was a member, years ago, that was working on making some. That seemed to fizzle away.

18. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Different ones come up on the bay and ones in those old parts kits.
    Duane