NRV Tool

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by The Warrior, Feb 25, 2020.

1. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Still waiting for the NRV tool I ordered to come in, to replace the pip on my 111B. I ordered the one from Juliands. Is this tool okay, or is it going to round off the NRV? NRV tools are hard to find, it seems. Or I find a foreign one, and can't read the page to know how to purchase one. Any good places to get one? I don't really possess the tools to make my own.

2. CW

CW United States Subscriber

I have that tool. I placed a NRV in the slot and pinched it down in a vice to get a snug fit to prevent that problem.

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

My experience with 111's is the NRVS are generally not too tight, especially if they were fitted with a lead washer. That said, any NRV removal should be done with care. I typically clamp the tool in a vise, hold the tank with both hands, apply plenty of downward pressure and twist the tank, keeping it from wobbling as best as I can. Partially filling the pump tube with liquid wrench or some equivalent and letting it soak for a day or so is never a bad idea.
    The tool you bought might be fine for this job. For older and more stubborn NRVS you might want to upgrade.
    Jerry

4. Afterburner

I had one of those low cost NRV tools (was it from Juliands I don't remember) it was other way around :?. NRV rounded the tool since tool was made of soft steel. Also handle bent because it was made from too thin wire/bar.

5. The Warrior

Thanks guys.

That's what worries me, is rounding it out. It seems to me that some of the homemade tools, with the 5mm slot, and thick parts of the shaft, that you can screw the pump shaft lid over, where it doesn't wobble is a far superior tool. Those seem more like a removal tool to me, where the one I ordered seems more like an install tool. I've read a fair bit about the tools here, and I know that Optimus has something similar on one of their parts list. Would love to have one. It seems like Stu isn't around anymore? Sorry, as you know I'm new here.

Maybe I'll have my brother make one for me. Problem is, he's so busy most of the time, I hate to even ask.

By the way, I've had my 111B soaking in oil for a few weeks now.

6. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Whatever tool you use, penetrating oil is a good recommendation. The time waiting for the tool could be used in that way.

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

All the 111B's I've had needed the NRV serviced, usually not stuck, so hopefully Julian's tool will be sufficient. Buy a decent tool, always quality tools on the bay. Gonna have to pay if you want to play. Get some u-joint tools too if you're going to get into stoves more.
    Duane

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

That's a very good one to get.
    Duane

11. Afterburner

That what my ebay low cost NRV tool would have been good. It was not strong enough for removing slightly tight NRVs.

12. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Good tool for nipples, jets on roarer burners. 111's others have bigger sized jets, so a tool for those also.
    Duane

13. The Warrior

@Twoberth

I don't have fancy tools, but I may be able to pull at least one of those off. Thanks for the links.

@snwcmpr

She's soaking, she's soaking, haha. I have one of those bottles of 3 in 1 oil that have the 6" extendable wands with it. Makes it easy to get in the general area.

Also, I have a jet key ordered. Why is a nipple key needed that has an articulating head on it? I'm taking it that it reaches places the straight jet tool won't.

@hikerduane

Juliands tool is about he only one I see for sale. I wanna pay to play, but don't know where the good tools are at. I really don't think I'll have an issue with the 111B with the tool I have ordered.

@Afterburner

I think it'll be okay for my 111B, but I definitely want to get a better tool for future applications.

I'm surprised the Fettlebox doesn't sell NRV tools.

By the way, thanks for all the responses gents, I genuinely appreciate it.

14. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

The articulating head wrenches are for the kerosene roarer burners that have four burner tubes. Two tubes are feed tubes sending the fuel to the top manifold and two form the u-tube sending vapor to the nipple. There is only a small space to access the nipple and then you can turn it only a micro turn before a regular spanner is blocked by a tube. You'll find out soon enough.:)

Sometimes you can get lucky and do the job with a 4mm wrench and finger work but most often you can't get a regular wrench on the nipple so you have to come in at an angle from above with the articulated wrench. They definitely come in handy.

15. The Warrior

Thanks for the info Ray, appreciate it.

16. Geoff Chirnside

The tool that I got from Juliands was loose on the NRV. I tapped it on the side with a hammer and it resting on a steel block, to close it up, until it was a snug fit. I have taken some very tight NRV's out with it with no problems.
    I have since made my own tool out of round steel that is a snug fit in the pump tube with a hand cut and filed slot. It is bullet proof and has even taken out damaged NRV's by using lots of downward pressure while turning.

Geoff

17. The Warrior

Thanks for the info Geoff.

I just ordered another NRV tool from ePrey.

18. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Thanks for the link Ken. My nipple tool came free with some burners from India. It has worked but not easily.

19. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Gotta pay if you want to play. :) Parts deals are your friend too. Just got a Optimus marked burner plate today and what looks to be a unused nickel lipstick burner.
    Duane

20. The Warrior

I'm paying Duane, I'm paying, haha. :mrgreen: