NZ pressure alcohol marine stove - IDing burner heads and replacements

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by echofiveone, Jan 17, 2022.

1. echofiveone New Zealand

Hi, we have an NZ made 2 burner pressurised alcohol stove on our yacht; it has given sterling service for over 30 years (considering it was second hand when fitted!). We have kept it running over the years using second-hand parts cadged here and there but it is now getting 'cranky' to say the least, and the spares pile has run dry. Therefore I have been looking at replacing the burner heads and would appreciate some help determining compatible replacements. The burner heads, caps and control knobs have no identifying marks on them. The thread diameter is about 14.5mm with 9 threads over about 6.5mm, doesn't seem to be a common thread as far as I can tell. The burner is 69.5mm tall and 66mm wide at the top. Let me know if there is any particular piece of info I can provide to assist in ID'ing. My hope is that I will be able to replace them with something like these https://www.tilleylampsandstoves.com/product-page/primus-stove-regulating-burner (rejetted for alcohol obviously). Thanks in advance for your help! IMG_20220117_155057.jpg IMG_20220117_155106.jpg

2. threedots New Zealand

Hello @echofiveone .

I understand your predicament on trying to keep that trusty stove going.
    Unless you can get the same burners or the parts for them, you may be out of luck getting it going again as I do not know of another type of alcohol burner that would fit your stove.

The alcohol burner that you show is an Optimus burner(taller version) and the 2 piece inner and tanged outer burner caps for those are long since out of production.

I have exchanged those type of burners for regulated kerosene ones(Optimus 207's) on a marine stove I had worked on, rather than to try to locate alcohol replacement burners or the parts for them.
    From memory I had to allow for a different burner heights as well.

The new burner linked from Juliands is a kerosene one and to convert it will not only require an alcohol jet fitted but also a restrictor tube made up that would restrict the amount of air being mixed with the alcohol fuel vapour. That burner may also be too short, compared to the alcohol one you have shown.

I understand some members here have successfully converted kerosene burners to burn alcohol using the home made restrictor tube method.
    They may be able to help you with some advice on how to do it.

Regards, John

3. echofiveone New Zealand

Thanks John, great info. I wasn't aware of the restrictor tubes, I will do some research and hopefully another member will weigh in. Between a reference table on base-camp.co.uk and looking at photos I think they are Optimus 209Ns. I have emailed Juliands and a stockist of the Hanse burners regarding conversion so will see what they say as well. Going to kero would probably be the easiest technically, but a certain female crew member has a violent aversion to it! :roll: Good point about the height as well. The burners mount onto small stainless steel riser tubes that extend vertically from the top of the fuel tank, so I think a welding shop would be able to extend them pretty easily if it came to that. Cheers