Old 425E Coleman Stove won't work

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Big Alski, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Big Alski United States

My stove is 40 years old. I last used it about 20 years ago. It won't pump. Yes, I opened the pump, everywhere from a quarter turn to all the way. I can barely push the lever in. I disassembled the handle, and all looks fine, although the leather O ring at the bottom is a bit worn. I put fresh fuel in the tank. I removed the thin brass tube that leads from the tank to the burners. Pulled the spring out and cleaned that. Needle looks fine, but it doesn't seem to move in an out when I open and close the handle on the fuel tank. When I take the tank out of the stove and turn it upside down, fuel drips out of the tube.
    Could that square rod that connects the fuel tank to the pump be stuck? If so, how do I unstick it. I grabbed it with a wrench and tried to pull on it, but it didn't budge.
    For a while there, I thought I was pressurizing the tank, but when I undo the filler cap, there's no "hiss."
    Suggestions?
    Al

2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Al and welcome,

Addressing the no pressure issue:
    1) Take out the pump rod and soak the pump leather in motor oil for 12-24 hours. This often brings new life to the leather but without seeing it, it might need to be replaced.
    2) Replace the fuel cap seal with a Viton (fuel resistant) o-ring. You can find these a few places but eBay is probably easiest. A bad seal will result in no pressure.
    3) Try pumping and see if there's pressure in the tank. If not, you might have to inspect the check valve which requires a special tool.

Once the stove has pressure any other issues will be easier to diagnose. Good luck! Jerry

3. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Sometimes the ball in the check valve gets stuck after sitting for a while. Remove the pump and unscrew the square shaft all the way and remove it. Spray WD40 or similar in to the pump tube. Wait a few minutes and very carefully taking care not to score the ball. Take a long think screw driver or better yet a wood skewer and gently see if you can push the ball down a little. Then reassemble your pump and see if that worked. Good luck.

Coleman check valve cutaway

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Coleman collectors suggest lacquer thinner to break down the 'lacquer' created from evaporated white gas. Try that in the pump tube after you removed the pump.

To test the fuel flow of the tank.
    Remove the tank and generator assembly from the stove case.
    IN A SAFE PLACE:
    Pump the tank.
    Turn the 'lever' UP.
    Open the valve.
    A spray should come out of the end of the generator.
    Turn the 'lever' DOWN.
    A steady stream should spray from the end of the generator.
    Close the valve.

5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I just went through this last night on an old Coleman lamp. Pulled the check valve to free it up after some soaking failed to help.

Stick something down there and give ball a poke. Pulling valve is not often easy.

6. jrs08

jrs08 Subscriber

As snwcmpr suggests, I would first try putting some laquer thinner in the pump hole (after pump is removed) and let it set over night or for a day or two. Usually this will free a stuck check valve. I did this to a peak one lantern last week that I hadn't used for a few years and it worked like a charm. It's an easy place to start and often is the fix for stoves and lanterns that have set around for awhile. Good luck on your fettle. jrs08

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Glad you guys understand all the lingo. I got the pump shaft part and air stem. I think OP thinks the start lever moves the pricker rod. ?
    Duane

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Could be, that does happen in some lanterns.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

The needle will go back into the jet when the valve is turned off.