Old camp stove found under shed

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Clyde Boyd, Oct 30, 2018.

1. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

2. Clyde Boyd

Clyde Boyd United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks for the lesson Tony. Haven’t seen a set of those around for awhile. I have a couple of digital ones in the shed and a set in the house I use for reloading. Seems like every time I go to use the ones in the shed, the battery is dead. Maybe it’s time to pick up as set of these. They do seem simple enough to read, when you know how.

3. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Round is 14 mm so around 10 mm should be ok. Then with a spacer to keep it strait.

4. Clyde Boyd

I have a set of those outside micrometer but mine is in thousand of an inch. Still stuck in the 70ties. lol. Pretty sure I can come up with something to get that bugger out. Once I get home and get my hand and eyes on it, t’ll have a better idea what I need. Looks like I will be stuck on this Rig for another few days due to weather.
    C

5. Clyde Boyd

885F4BA6-3702-4B41-B099-3BDE59141738.jpeg

885F4BA6-3702-4B41-B099-3BDE59141738.jpeg

AF3EDB65-9D32-4721-AE79-32F985DC963A.jpeg

680D460F-7964-4FBF-8A27-1CE784C31BB2.jpeg

7A312A9E-5AF7-40A8-918A-BDC39B9AF651.jpeg

1D47905A-AB68-4B4C-97DE-23529BD8FFF9.jpeg

09252563-001D-423D-A054-CF9FC4CAC74A.jpeg

@JP2
    Well the weather gods were generous today and I got to home. Did a little cleaning on the stove and got it to to a point where I think i like it. Clean enough to read it but also enough Patina to represent the age. Since I took the pics I filled the pump cavity with penetrating oil. Give it till I get back from the cabin in a couple of weeks and see what happens.

6. henner

henner Subscriber

Hi Clyde

Good luck with your stove. I wonder where your dad got it ? You don't see many of these in NL.
    I was born in Placentia NL not far from you.

Jim

7. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

@henner
    Hi, where are you? Alberta!!! Lolo All NL is here. Lolo

8. henner

henner Subscriber

I am in Toronto, the earlier Alberta. Have been here about 30 years now.

Jim

9. Clyde Boyd

Jim, I have no idea where dad got it. I am from a very large family, 15 counting mom and dad. I am 59 and I am the baby. My oldest brother is still alive at 87, he may know something about it.

10. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Newfoundland was a British colony and only joined the Canadian Federation in 1949, by a narrow voting majority.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/confederation/kids/023002-2110-e.html

Trade links between Britain and Newfoundland were very well established over hundreds of years (1500s-1949) , and we souldn’t be surprised to see a British stove from the late 1940s/early 1950s appearing in Newfoundland.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

11. henner

henner Subscriber

I left there in the late 80's. Did lots of camping with my parents & family when younger. We had Coleman stoves & lanterns. I know I had never seen a brassie while I lived there. Not to say they weren't there. Any other members here from Newfoundland that have seen these stoves in NL in earlier years ?

Jim

12. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

@henner
    Jim, not just NL, all Canada.

13. Clyde Boyd

@JP2 With all your help and the help from the other members on this wonderful site, I made my tool from 5/8" or 15.8mm roundstock I made my tool, thought I took a pic, but guess I was so excited about it working and being able to remove the NR valve that I forgot. The pip was pretty dried up but I managed to get it out of the holder.

Now I guess it's just a matter of ordering a gasket set. My burner is a little damaged, but if you guys think I can make it work with the original burner then I'll use it. If not I'll just order one along with the legs and the pot holder. Any good suggestions on the best seals to order. I have rebuilt 5 tilley lamps with new seals and every one of the pips in the NR valves has broken down after about a week or so. Thanks again for all your help and I will keep you guys posted on my progress. Back to work again today for another 21 days so if I order the parts in the next day or two they should be waiting for me when I get in.

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

14. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi Clyde
    This is a good new. Well done. For parts yes maybe you should order all new seals, pig and leather for the pump. I will prefer that Kerophile guide you because he known much more of me what sizes you really need.
    One thing I know for sure is the inside of the tube, the rod, washers and cap most be clean before you arrive with new parts. Inside of the tank also most be super clean and burner too. Have you check inside of the tank? How is it ?
    It is just to bad that we can't see your super tool because maybe you can make the same thing on the other side but smaller to remove the jet.
    When the jet will be remove then you will be able to clean inside the burner. Of course you have to remove the burner from the tank first.
    When all the inside will be clean and you are sure nothing will clog the jet then it will be the time to install your new parts including the the inner and outer silence burner cap that somebody else can guide you with because I am still not familiar with them.
    So far So good Clyde. Good job

15. Clyde Boyd

@JP2 @kerophile , I did clean up the tube a little and removed the grime from the base but really didn't have any time to clean the tank. I was thinking maybe some bb shot and maybe either carb or brake cleaner and just lightly swish it around inside the tank should maybe do the trick. I'm sure someone here will steer me in the right direction. Once again i have 3 weeks now to gather information and pick your brains on where to go next. I would like to get the information on the parts as soon as I can so i can get them ordered to insure delivery before my next turn around. I did however remove the burner and the spirit bowl from the tank but like you said i need to make another tool but I think i would have to make it out of smaller round stock, which is not a problem, just need to find the time. think we are staying around town over the holidays which will give me lots of time in the shed to work on a few projects. I have a little work to do on the misses car, but should still have time to finish the stove. Love to get it burning again. Anyway, I will be standing by to hear from kerophil on guidance on the Seal kit and pump rubber, inner and outer silence burner cap and legs. Thanks for the response.

16. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

My last stove the tank was not looking good and I have seen on the forum that easy off was good , so I have tried with good result but I also warm up the tank with a hair blower on hot first and 2, 3 times by after. That did remove the big but not all. What is BB shot?

17. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Clyde Boyd here is a link to the Fettlebox washer set for your stove:

https://fettlebox.co.uk/kit-e-optimus/primus-etc-2-pint-1-5-etc.html

Replacement stove legs are not generally available and the best source could be from a donor stove.

Valor silent burners are also not generally available, but I have a suitable new old stock (NOS) Valor roarer burner for sale, if you want to change burner style.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

18. Clyde Boyd

@JP2, BBs are small steel or lead beads found in shotgun shells. Easily accessible here. I have used them to clean the inside of pressure lamp tanks in the pass.

@kerophile, finding a donor stove here is unlikely here. i did see a post here of someone making them for sale and I also think i found the inner and outer caps on line somewhere, just need to find the site again. I will do a little research and see what I can fine. Thanks for the link for the washer kit. Will keep you guys posted.

19. Clyde Boyd

@kerophile, I did want to keep the stove as original as possible so at first i looked for a used valor 4551 burner. Every mention i found they were out of stock. I decided to order this one from Juliand, @ Tilley lamps and stoves, I have gotten a lot of things from him in the pass and have received good service. I will try the stove with the original burner and the new inner and outer caps first and if that works I will keep it that way. If not I can always use the new burner. Still looking for the legs. I saw apost here somewhere from a guy that did reproductions...

Silent Burner: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112557712754

20. Clyde Boyd

@loco7stove I was wondering if you are still making legs for the old Valor No 55. I located a thread where you advertised some of you work. I am looking for a set like the ones illustrated in the attached pic. Please feel free to contact me with any information you have.

1300552976-DSCF1144_opt.jpg